Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Trouble getting sound through SPDIF (Read 5742 times) previous topic - next topic

Trouble getting sound through SPDIF

Heya,

I have a M-Audio Revolution 5.1 soundcard linked up to a Yamaha RX-V359 AV amp with a digital coaxial cable (SPDIF). The problem I have is that the Rev 5.1 will not automatically route all sound through the digital out, it will only do so if a program (e.g a DVD player software) has told it to do so. The problem with this is that I want ALL audio to go through the digital out. Music via foobar, games, windows sounds AND movies. Is there some way I can do this? I thought if I used AC3filter to decode the audio in my movie files then instructed it to send sound through SPDIF then it would work, but unfortunatly this is not the case

Any suggestions/solutions would be great!

Thanks

Reply #1
not sure if this will help or not, but i have an m-audio firewire audiophile, and i when i want to use the spdif IN, i have to go to the soundcard control panel, hardware tab, and set it to external source for clock or something like that.

maybe its in the control panel of the card? the other thing i can think of is just the preferences in each program, set it to the spdif out of the card.

one other option, is i wonder if you can change the windows default device to be the spdif out.

either way, its a setting like that somewhere, either in windows control panel or programs preferences.

Reply #2
not sure if this will help or not, but i have an m-audio firewire audiophile, and i when i want to use the spdif IN, i have to go to the soundcard control panel, hardware tab, and set it to external source for clock or something like that.

maybe its in the control panel of the card? the other thing i can think of is just the preferences in each program, set it to the spdif out of the card.

one other option, is i wonder if you can change the windows default device to be the spdif out.

either way, its a setting like that somewhere, either in windows control panel or programs preferences.

I haven't got an option in the soundcard control panel to do that unfortunately  and I can't find a way to make the windows default device go through the spdif. If anyone knows how to do this that would be great!

Cheers

Reply #3
It doesn't show up under Multimedia/Audio/Playback/Preferred Device?

Reply #4
Also try to find spdif control switch in windows mixer. (advaced controls or properties)

Reply #5
It doesn't show up under Multimedia/Audio/Playback/Preferred Device?

I should add that i'm using windows XP, so this was in 'sounds and audio devices' but theres no option for spdif and the advanced options for that device just has 'set number of speakers' 
[a href="http://www.imgdump.net/" target="_blank"]

Reply #6
Ok, after fiddling with the settings, I can now get media player classic to play sound by using AC3filter. Still working on getting games, windows sounds and foobar working though

:UPDATE: Movies will play through MPC, but not mp3s or audio. Despite using ac3filter and being able to view the volume levels in ac3filter config.

Reply #7
I've just bought a Revo 5.1 and am considering getting a Yamaha RX-V359 as well, assuming something like this would be easily configurable.  Any progress on this?

Reply #8
Well I can now get stereo sound through the digital out, theres an option in the control panel I didn't spot before. If you go to speaker configuration in the m-audio control panel you can select 'digital' which will send digital stereo through the spdif out.

If you are using a DTS or Dolby source the output is usually digital by default. If not you make it so by an option in the audio options of your DVD player software. When you play DTS or Dolby sound through the digital out, all other sound is over-ridden.

I'm still working on getting 5.1 audio through the digital out. Stereo will do for now, but i'd rather have 5.1

Reply #9
I'm not quite sure what is problem with your card but this is how I got bit-perfect playback with M-Audio 2496

In drivers I set up S/PDIF out

in foobar I'm using M-Audio ASIO or Kernel Streaming plugin for digital passtrough

and when playing SACD/DTS 'Brothers in arms' I got 'perfect' sound on receiver!

Same thing applies for movies... i just have to set M-audio as preferred device in MPC and S/PDIF in Ac3 filter or ffdshow audio or whatever DS filter I'm using for playback and I have perfect digital passtrough to receiver.

Reply #10
Well I can now get stereo sound through the digital out, theres an option in the control panel I didn't spot before. If you go to speaker configuration in the m-audio control panel you can select 'digital' which will send digital stereo through the spdif out.

If you are using a DTS or Dolby source the output is usually digital by default. If not you make it so by an option in the audio options of your DVD player software. When you play DTS or Dolby sound through the digital out, all other sound is over-ridden.

I'm still working on getting 5.1 audio through the digital out. Stereo will do for now, but i'd rather have 5.1

FINALLY got my PC over to the new place and test my coax connection.  I'm in the same spot here.  5.1 AC3 files come in as stereo on foobar.  Not sure if there's another DSP/plug-in needed here besides AC3 playback.