Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000 won't attach pictures to mp3 APE tags (Read 4820 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000 won't attach pictures to mp3 APE tags

I check (in fb2k v1.1.7) and my mp3 file has APE tags only. Just in case, I refreshed and checked MP3 tag types in context menu. It's APE only. My preferred tagging scheme is set to APE. The mp3 file does not have album art (or any other pictures) attached/embedded.

I use "attach pictures" in context menu to attach a jpeg of front cover to the MP3, and then "reload info from file(s)". Now foobar (and ca5e's tag.exe) both say that the file contains APEv2 and ID3v2.

It seems to me that this is a bug. The picture should be attached as APEv2 tag in this scenario. But instead it seems to be attached as ID3v2. Or am I missing something?

Reply #1
Album Art is only stored in id3v2 tags for the mp3 format. Ape tags for mp3 were a temporary solution until proper id3v2 tagging was implemented natively in foobar. Even though ape tags are still supported, I'd recommend to switch to id3v2 tags which should also be much more compatible with other applications.

Reply #2
The picture should be attached as APEv2 tag in this scenario.

This has been fixed in 1.1.11 per change log and per my own testing. If an MP3 file has APEv2 tags only, then the image will get attached as APEv2. Thanks Peter!

The remaining issue is that when adding images to an untagged MP3 file foobar2000 does not respect the setting in "Advanced\Tagging\MP3\Tag writing scheme for untagged files". I have it set to APE but images get attached as ID3v2 if the MP3 is untagged.