Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wasapi and External DAC Switching problem (Read 2569 times) previous topic - next topic

Wasapi and External DAC Switching problem

Hi,

I'm hoping that someone can explain what is happening and perhaps offer a solution. Thanks for reading.

The problem:
When rates change: 24/192 to 24/96 to 16/44.1 each time there is a click, DAC switches and sound plays.
However, sometimes there is a problem switching mostly from 16/44.1 to 24bit, there is a click but no sound. I have to turn off the DAC and back on. This doesn’t happen every time but often enough.

My setup is Foobar 1.4 beta 2 on Windows-7 64bit. (The Wasapi issues were worse on lower versions of Foobar)
Audioengine D1 DAC connected via Optical to the Realtek® ALC1150.

The settings for WASAPI are as follows:
WASAPI (event): Realtek Digital Output (Optical) (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Buffer 440ms. Output format: 24-bit.
Advanced:  Hardware Buffer in MS – event mode: 25, (push set to 200); high priority process
The buffering up to 1,000,000
Advanced: Decoding Tone/Sweep rate: 44,100
Decoding priority: Tone Sweep; Silence; FLAC; MPEG
No DSP

The Realtek software is set:
Supported Rates by digital receiver: 44.1; 48; 96; 192kHz
Exclusive mode: applications take exclusive control and priority
Shared Mode: 2 channel, 24 bit, 192kHz;
DSP disabled

Re: Wasapi and External DAC Switching problem

Reply #1
Thanks to all that took a look at my little problem, I guess this issue is too specific.
Anyway, since my last post, the little hisses that I used to have with WASAPI and Audioengine D1 prior to updating to Foobar 1.4 beta-2 are back. So, my question from previous post is no longer important.

I have concluded that Audioengine D1 DAC has problem with WASAPI. Kind of disappointing, I guess D1 is just a way to move RCA cables away from the computer, a pre-amp for speakers/headphones and a volume knob. 
Search for a new DAC is on.
Cheers

Reply #2
I'd just connect the D1 to the computer with USB. Exact same quality as with the optical but with much less problems.

Also you shouldn't bother using WASAPI. It's only necessary to transfer compressed formats like DTS and AC3 bit-perfectly for external receiver for decoding. Doing that also makes little sense as it only introduces new sets of problems. Simplest way to operate is the best, decode everything in computer and enjoy gapless clickless playback.

Reply #3
Hi, Thanks for the response.

D1 via USB is limited to 24/96, I have some FLAC in 24/192, so I switched from the USB to optical.
When using Realtek driver there is no click. However, I have to chose the rate and bit depth in shared mode. If I pick 24/192 then everything gets re-sampled, and if I pick 16/44.1 then all the 24/96 & 24/192 recordings are degraded. WASAPI is supposed to give bit-perfect playback and that's what I want. I'm trying to get away from the computer doing any decoding, that's why I went with an external DAC.