Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tags titles "CORRUPTED" when adding new field. (Read 2273 times) previous topic - next topic

Tags titles "CORRUPTED" when adding new field.

When I add a new tag using Properties, Tools, Add New Field: (ie: PRE_EMPHASIS=1) all the rest of the tags changes their case to UPPERCASE, which ruins some scripts (that I didn't made).  Please change behaviour of TOOLS tagging to avoid modifing the name of all the tags as it does now. Thanks.
Besides I don't like ALLUPPERCASE tags names, I wish to choose how I have my tags.

PS: This happens with FLAC files, not sure about others.

Re: Tags titles "CORRUPTED" when adding new field.

Reply #1
Tag names are case insensitive. In the case of anything using ID3v2, the tag names aren't even stored in the files, except for custom tag fields.

Reply #2
As kode54 said, all tag formats that have normal strings for field names have in their specs that reading them is case-insensitive. Anything treating them otherwise is bugged.

Also, aren't you happier knowing that all tag fields have identical casing instead of mix of TitleCase, lowercase and UPPERCASE?

Reply #3
foobar2000 presents (most) "standard" fields in Title Case and the rest in UPPERCASE, so I understand the confusion.

Reply #4
FLAC tags have their tagtitles inside flac, when I add a new TAG using foobar, it messes up with the rest of the tagtitle fields. I would understand if I change the "title" of a song, and it's tagtitle become "TITLE". But it changes everything when adding or modifying only one tag.
My need is genuine, as I said, I didn't programmed the script that I use, but it's case sensitive and it breaks up if any of it's titletags is changed. So adding any tag in a FLAC will change (and in my case ruin) all the rest of the tags and that is an unacceptable behavior and a bug of Foobar2000.
Arguments about how anyone prefer their titletags are irrelevant.

I ended up resigning the use of Foobar for tags and using this command prompt, although I would prefer Foobar to work as it should:
metaflac --set-tag="PRE_EMPHASIS=1" *.flac

Reply #5
...their specs that reading them is case-insensitive. Anything treating them otherwise is bugged.
Also, aren't you happier knowing that all tag fields have identical casing instead of mix of TitleCase, lowercase and UPPERCASE?
I know the script is bugged, but that doesn't change the fact that maybe I'm a lowercase lover and I don't like my chosen tag format to be changed, after all, you just said that specs are case-insensitive, so the option is up to the user, but Foobar changes something it wasn't ask for.
It's Flac bullying! :)

Reply #6
when I add a new TAG using foobar, it messes up with the rest of the tagtitle fields. I would understand if I change the "title" of a song, and it's tagtitle become "TITLE". But it changes everything when adding or modifying only one tag.

Right.  So if you change the "Date" tag, not only you get a DATE tag, but also "Title" becomes "TITLE". Fair enough to consider this unnecessary, but it does not mean it is a bug.

Here you are wrong:

will change (and in my case ruin) all the rest of the tags and that is an unacceptable behavior and a bug of Foobar2000.
As per the standard, they do not "change": uppercase and lowercase letters are the same.  Since they are not "change", this does not "ruin" anything.
It is standards-compliant behaviour, and no standards-compliant application will have an issue with it: it is "unacceptable" only to applications which violate the specification and also the robustness principle.
I fail to see why it should be considered a "bug", although I kind of agree that fb2k could leave case up to the user's aesthetic preferences since itself it should not need to prefer anything.

However, you beg to differ:

Arguments about how anyone prefer their titletags are irrelevant.

And here you completely killed your own complaints. Why listen to how you prefer your titletags? Your arguments are irrelevant. At least you say so.

Reply #7
And here you completely killed your own complaints. Why listen to how you prefer your titletags? Your arguments are irrelevant. At least you say so.
What I meant is that it's pointless to discuss if UPPERCASE is better than lowercase, that's a user choice that should be respected by Foobar. Maybe not a bug, but why it imposes it's way to what user has chosen? Specially if no one asked to change those fields.
I'm editing the script I didn't made to be caseinsensitive. But, I do have ALL my collection lowercase and really don't like to have that mixed now, so even if script works with uppercase I still don't like current behaviour of Tag editing and will avoid it's use until that's changed. It's probably simple to fix: Is Foobar code accesible?

Reply #8
Well, the tag names are by specification non case sensitive... so technically speaking what we're doing is harmless, it's been this way since 2003 at least and I don't recall any complaints until now.

However, the request to keep tag name case unaltered has been noted. For reference, we already employ similar logic when manipulating ID3v2 tags - ID3v2 frames that do not need altering are written back bit-identical, preserving quirks such as alternate character encodings in case some other software that the user has doesn't like what we write.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #9
If you change this, could you also consider options to tweak in which way/case they are displayed? Since the only reasons to make a change are outside the standard and concern how people prefer them to look like. 
And fb2k does not select the "standard" Vorbis fields to be displayed in Mixed Case either. I for one, would prefer to choose to have Publisher and Version not yell at me in allcaps.

Reply #10
My answer to how foobar displays non-standard fields in tags is to:
1. Standardize your own list of tags using Advanced Properties / Display / Properties dialog / Standard fields. One of my favorite option in foobar (or even just the favorite) - I can choose them, I can sort them, I can name them (including lower/upper/title casing), I can automatize/make easier creation of them in existing files.
2. Clean up your collection. This is what I do from time to time. I look for files with non standard tags, when it is sensible I am moving information from non standard to my own standard tags or I simply drop the information...

Reply #11
Case-retaining has been added for 1.3.17 beta 2, for FLAC format only.

Further changes on the subject considered for upcoming 1.4.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #12
Case-retaining has been added for 1.3.17 beta 2, for FLAC format only.

Further changes on the subject considered for upcoming 1.4.

Thanks!