Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Media Library and non-existent files (Read 16325 times) previous topic - next topic

Media Library and non-existent files

I'm not sure if I recall this correctly or not, but I think that v0.9.5.2 did not add items that do not exist to the Media Library when you would add, for example, an .m3u file that points to mp3s that aren't there, or CUE files that point to WAVs that don't actually exist, but v0.9.5.3 is doing it

Is there a way to make foobar ignore invalid links?

Thanks!

Reply #1
Can anyone atleast confirm whether this is some kind of a regression or not?

Reply #2
When foobar2000 loads a playlist, it does not verify whether any of the entries exists. It has been like that for as long as I can remember.

Cue sheets are handled differently from playlists in foobar2000. For foobar2000, a cue sheet is a container with multiple tracks. That it requires an external file to play those tracks is just an implementation detail.

Reply #3
Hi foosion,

Thank you for the reply.

Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about:

Notice that in the Facets library, the album only shows 4 tracks, I've even clicked "Remove dead entries" on it to make sure. But when I double click the album, non-working entries from 2 .cue files are added aswell.

Reply #4
I would like to see this happening as well.

CUE files are added to my foobar2000 library when CUE files are in the music folder. The CUE files point to WAV files which I don't have.

Reply #5
When foobar2000 loads a playlist, it does not verify whether any of the entries exists. It has been like that for as long as I can remember.

Cue sheets are handled differently from playlists in foobar2000. For foobar2000, a cue sheet is a container with multiple tracks. That it requires an external file to play those tracks is just an implementation detail.

Hey foosion,

This really is a regression, because I've been using foobar FOR AGES and I never had this happen to me until 0.9.5.3.

I have just installed 0.9.5.2 with a clear media library and tried adding a folder that has flacs and .cues in it, and it added ONLY the flacs, without the non-working links (that were in the CUEs or M3Us that were in the folder).

Then I've reinstalled 0.9.5.3 and tried adding that folder again, and it added the redundunat non-working links.

This is driving me crazy because 99% of my albums have CUEs and it suddenly started doing this.

Do you need anything else from me to reproduce this problem? It's really bugging me

Thanks!

Reply #6
Note that in 0.9.5.2, if there is a CUE file in the same folder as the FLACs and it points to the filenames properly and the CUE has different tags than the FLAC files, then foobar would just show the same albums with the different tags (duplication), in that case all I did was to move the CUE to a subfolder, and then everything would be alright because the CUE would reference nonexisting files.

In 0.9.5.3 even if the CUE points to nonexisting files in the first place (CUE points to WAVs instead of FLACs), foobar still shows it in the playlist and adds it to the media library.

Reply #7
This change is intended - being unable to list cuesheet tracks when referenced files didn't exist was a bug and it got fixed. It's not my problem that you keep nonplayable files in your music folders.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #8
This change is intended - being unable to list cuesheet tracks when referenced files didn't exist was a bug and it got fixed. It's not my problem that you keep nonplayable files in your music folders.

Thanks for letting me know, it wasn't in the changelog so...

Actually, the CUE sheets serve as disc images for my rips (that's how I back them up) so that I could get a 1:1 copy out of the files on the computer. And I have quite alot of them (pretty much for every album I ripped with EAC).

Peter, is there any chance that you might add an advanced toggle to enable the "old" behaviour. As you can see not only I would like this.
This would really really help me, as I cannot just dump all these CUEs since I need them. Otherwise I'm just stuck with 0.9.5.2 for life

Thanks!

Reply #9
Then I've reinstalled 0.9.5.3 and tried adding that folder again, and it added the redundunat non-working links.

Couldn't you just add an exclusion for .cue files in: Preferences>General>Adding new files>Exclude file types

I'm not sure if that would solve your problem, but this should prevent CUE files from loading. I could be wrong though as I don't use CUE files.

Reply #10

Couldn't you just add an exclusion for .cue files in: Preferences>General>Adding new files>Exclude file types

I'm not sure if that would solve your problem, but this should prevent CUE files from loading. I could be wrong though as I don't use CUE files.

I know that I can do that, but I do have some valid CUE files that do point to files that work.
If no backwards-compatible feature will be added in future version, I guess I'll just stick to 0.9.5.2

Reply #11
I just ran into this same issue, and I can't say I'm happy about it. A few of my .cues point to valid links; however, most of them don't. The exclusions don't do the trick, either. This really sucks for me & my ~20,000 track library, which I just meticulously re-tagged...
The same except different.

Reply #12
Why do you people have an inconsistent ripping style? For some albums you include cue-files which point to wavs and then you encode your files to some other format, but for some rips you edit the cues to point to the encoded files? Huh?

I've never had such problems, since if I rip "file per track" I don't need the cue sheet for anything and if I rip to a single image file I embed the cue at command line in EAC already and don't need to put the cue sheet in my media library.

If there's something or someone doing something wrong it's the user in this case.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Reply #13
Why do you people have an inconsistent ripping style? For some albums you include cue-files which point to wavs and then you encode your files to some other format, but for some rips you edit the cues to point to the encoded files? Huh?

I've never had such problems, since if I rip "file per track" I don't need the cue sheet for anything and if I rip to a single image file I embed the cue at command line in EAC already and don't need to put the cue sheet in my media library.

If there's something or someone doing something wrong it's the user in this case.

I don't need the CUEs for playback... I keep them as backup If I ever have to burn a perfect image.
I don't want to embed anything in the music files other than the tags, and I'm not doing anything wrong, and it's not only me, I know hundreds of others that do the same.

And I bet that when more and more people upgrade to this version there will be complaints and "bug reports". Ideally maybe this is the right thing to do (display invalid links in the playlist and the media library), but practically it just sucks.

Has this really been bothering ANYBODY? Has anyone really begged to see non-working links in the playlist? I doubt it.

Reply #14
I don't need the CUEs for playback...

Then add *.CUE to the excluded filetypes in Preferences->Media Library.
End of problem.

... I keep them as backup If I ever have to burn a perfect image.

What good is this if some of the tracks are missing? 
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #15
Same issue here. 

You should understand foobar has been behaving this way from the start, a few years ago, and since then we've been collecting tons of albums. I'm not gonna delete all the wrong cues one by one looking for then in hundred of folders, no way. And excluding *.cue archives is no solution, as I use them as playlist, so I got "restrict to *.cue" in my rescan media library.

I don't think it would be difficult to just add an option to fix this, but until then I'll get back to 0.9.5.2

Please, fix it.

Reply #16
Cuesheets are not playlists.

Trying to use them as such is only going to cause you more and more headaches.
Therefore, you need to correct your usage patterns.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #17
Cuesheets are not playlists.

Trying to use them as such is only going to cause you more and more headaches.
Therefore, you need to correct your usage patterns.

Yes they are. If you have one big file then .CUE is the only meaningful way of playing it back.

People have different usage patterns. For example, I have lots of albums where the .CUE is left there as a way to burn a pefect image of the CD (the CUE just points to the WAV files - which were converted to flacs). I also have a few albums where the CUE is actually needed since I have just one big file, so it points to the right file.

Dragging a folder with CUE files that don't point to the flacs (for me, the majority) results in a complete mess.

The solution of adding the CUE files to the exclude list does not fix this, what it does fix is adding the invalid links to the Media Library. But then it also removes the legitimate CUE links as well.

I don't understand why something that's not broken was "fixed".

Reply #18
I don't need the CUEs for playback... I keep them as backup If I ever have to burn a perfect image.
I don't want to embed anything in the music files other than the tags, and I'm not doing anything wrong, and it's not only me, I know hundreds of others that do the same.

Well, as far as I know embedded CUEs are just tags (ie a big tag with the file content in it) but they're hidden in foobar2000, so either you embed your CUEs, either you admit that CUEs are NOT playlists (because they're not) and you change your ripping habits!

Reply #19
Yes they are.
They are similar looking, but they are fundamentally different. Cuesheets were made to divide a large file into smaller individually playable pieces, playlists are created to create a single large playable item from many individual files.

If you refuse to comprehend the difference, then you can thoroughly assume that you will never understand Peter's decision.

(for me, the majority)
lol.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #20
Ok, then. You say I should change my "Rippin' habits"?. I think you don't know what you'r talking about (  ). It's been too many years rippin' & sharing lossless music, and one big .ape or .flac file with a .cue is the best way ever.

The reason why I, and so many other people, started using foobar was that precisely: it could play .cue files without conversions. Foobar didn't care about "wrong" cues,and so neither did I. Please, don't pretend that we all change our habits now, because that's something that just will not happen.

I still think it has to be really easy to "fix" that. It's not a matter of who's right or wrong, it's just that foobar is "OUR" music player, not just Peter's, and that should be respected.

Please, fix it.

Reply #21
It's been too many years rippin' & sharing lossless music, and one big .ape or .flac file with a .cue is the best way ever.

Ah now it is clear why this is a problem. It is very unlikely that the development team will revert their decision solely to please those who are sharing files.

Reply #22
it's just that foobar is "OUR" music player, not just Peter's, and that should be respected.

I find it rather cowardly to use a conveniently constructed mass of people (foobar is "OUR" music player) who are, I assume, an army of YOU.
I guess you'd rather say "foobar is "OUR" music player", because the honest alternative is rather more transparently conceited: "foobar is "MY" music player" ... and you, Peter, should make it like I want it. 

Imagine saying the same thing to the artists' whose music you listen to, say for example, you don't like some of the lyrics in "Don't Tell Me" by Madonna, so you write to her and say:
"it's just that the song "Don't Tell Me" is "OUR" song, not just yours, and my wish for you to change it should be respected"

Hmmm.

C.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #23
carpman: I think Peter is developing foobar not for himself, but for "US" foobar's users (because foobar is "FREE"). So he should listen to demands of "HIS" users. In this case, I think Peter should just add option for this.

Madonna (and other artists) sing, write songs because of profit…
You're comparing something that is NOT comparable

Reply #24
Yes they are. If you have one big file then .CUE is the only meaningful way of playing it back.

.APL's? or even embedded cue sheets?

Or add another extension to the end of your non-working cue files then exclude them?

*.cue.nul ?
---
Its just laziness.
Some people just want other people to work around their problem rather than fixing it themselves.