Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: E-MU 1820m Audio Interface (Read 2961 times) previous topic - next topic

E-MU 1820m Audio Interface

I've been looking around for something to replace my vastly expensive but equally shit Digidesign Mbox.  I don't care about Pro Tools support, I can use pretty much all modern multi-track software.
Every review I have read about the 1820m (note the 'm' there) seems to be extremely pleased with it audio quality and general performance.  It seems to have many of the features which I require (plus a lot more which I may never use but...) and I can get one second hand for around £200.
I just really wanted to know if any one has owned one and could give me their impressions?  I know E-MU were always a trusted brand in professional audio components, but I also see that Creative has bought them over so wonder if that has changed?

Tony

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/p...40483888bad.jpg

Reply #1
I have this card and I like it a lot. I have used the analog outs, mic ins with phantom power, and headphone out and all have worked very well. My usage has been pretty simple though, just stereo recording and output. But Patchmix should allow you to set up whatever you want quite easily. No issues with Creative. Drivers have improved over time and are very good now.
Sadly I may have to downgrade to an 0404USB when it comes out because the ethernet cable on the 1820m can only go upto a certain length.

Reply #2
Doesn't this card use the same DAC as the 1212M?
Acid8000 aka. PhilDEE

Reply #3
Yes all DACs are the same as on the 1212m.

Reply #4
Cool. At least I know if I ever wanted a better card (doubt it), I can get similar (exactly the same?) quality playback from a cheaper card.
Acid8000 aka. PhilDEE

Reply #5
If you are interested you might look in the hardware section of
http://www.audiomastersforum.net/
There have been at least five or six threads on this card in the last year.