Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "reference libFLAC 1.2.1 win64 20080709" and Flac 64-bits (Read 8232 times) previous topic - next topic

"reference libFLAC 1.2.1 win64 20080709" and Flac 64-bits

Hello everyone

As I was browsing my flac library in foobar, I noticed that an album had an unusual decoder version displayed under the "encoder" column, "reference libFLAC 1.2.1 win64 20080709", while most of the others have "reference libFLAC 1.2.1 20070917" or previous "official" releases (from binaries corresponding to the ones marked on the sourceforge site of FLAC (changelog)). This album was given to me by a friend.

A quick research on Google returned links mostly to torrent sites, which were offering albums encoded with this special version (not "purposefully": mediaInfo would actually bring the encoder info up in the nfo file attached on the presentation page).
I was wondering what was hiding behind this reference, specially user-built binaries, or an unreferenced version,...?
Also, what reliability may I give to this encode/encoder?

After trying to dig the question a bit more, I found that actually 64-bits binaries weren't that easy to find (euphemism), because these specials were expected to be built case by case for the specific user needs (SSE2, SSE3...); I'm currently running some tests with x64 encoders but I have no basic knowledge in compiling at all. I'm trying to get a hand on it with oggenc and lame sources plus some info given in this HA thread, but as I'm really only a self learner in computer matters it's not improving quickly... 

Why is that flac x64 binaries are not considered so useful that they'd be so difficult to find? (A more thorough search in the forum answered that question: HA search for "compile 64 bit flac") And would reference Flac encoder benefit from an update (last version dates back to 2007, I found an ICL 11.1 compile by John33 on Rarewares' lossless page from 2009, but it's the same version that has been built (1.2.1))?

I hope I made myself clear, any info would be more than welcome :-)
Thanks

reason for edit: typo + new info

"reference libFLAC 1.2.1 win64 20080709" and Flac 64-bits

Reply #1
Why is that flac x64 binaries are not considered so useful that they'd be so difficult to find?
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=777401[/s]