Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: <audio> (HTML 5) (Read 5264 times) previous topic - next topic

<audio> (HTML 5)

does anyone know if flac is supported?

<audio> (HTML 5)

Reply #2

No it is not supported as of right now. Only Theora, Vorbis, and PCM audio are supported. It depends on what your browser you are talking about?. Those three codecs pertain to Firefox 3.5. I am not sure about Chrome or Safari. I heard that Chrome supports H.264/AAC currently in addition to Theora/Vorbis. Why you would want to stream FLAC files is beyond me... I mean it's possible just not very practical.
budding I.T professional

<audio> (HTML 5)

Reply #4
What Firefox supports is its own business, fact is that only PCM Wave is mandatory.

I don't want to start another HTML 5 codec support browser war. I will state my opinion and say it's not practical for open source project to support proprietary codecs in any shape or form even though they do represent the standards. I am kind of glad the W3C allows support for anything though. The problem with this though? Everyone is going to continue to use crappy 3rd party plugins like Flash and Silverlight rather then the new HTML 5 tags, which is a sham. 
budding I.T professional

<audio> (HTML 5)

Reply #6

Too vague a question. Sadly the W3C declined to recommend any video codecs at all and any audio codecs except PCM wav.  Wav's only advantage is that it's trivial to implement.

The code firefox is using for audio (libfishsound) supports FLAC but right now they haven't chosen to link against it, test it, etc. It's something that could possibly be added in some version of firefox post 3.5.

While I agree that it would be a little silly to expect people to stream flac from your website there are a lot of uses of web browsers not across the public internet. I use a web browser to talk to quite a few devices in my home…  but WAV would also work reasonably well in most of those cases.  It would be pretty easy to create a CGI that converted flac to wav on the fly for the benefit of web browsers while keeping FLAC's advantages for storage.