Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: converting old spool music to digital using audacity (Read 2334 times) previous topic - next topic

converting old spool music to digital using audacity

Hi,

I was trying to digitise some old spool tapes onto my laptop using Audacity.
The sound seems ok while taping but is all distorted during playback.
I tried various input volumes, but every time the music reached a peak, the sound gets distorted.
Please help.

Thanks, Rajiv.

converting old spool music to digital using audacity

Reply #1
Does your laptop have separate mic and line inputs, or just a "combination" input?  If the latter, be aware that many can't handle a full-scale line-level signal, even though they claim it's a "line" input.

If the input itself is being overloaded, adjusting levels in Audacity or the sound control panel will just change the level of the distorted input.  You may have to employ some means of reducing the signal level externally, before it reaches the input of your laptop.
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."