Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Issues with new filetype icons (Read 2926 times) previous topic - next topic

Issues with new filetype icons

Hi!

So there are new icons. All-in-all they might have a tad better intelligibility, but they also have issues a 16x16 size:
  • The dog-ear thing doesn't do anything good. It looks like a visual glitch, or a corrupted image
  • The playlist icons are stylistically indistinguishable from normal audio filetype icons, they're also identical, when they used to be different for each playlist format
  • Opus is indistinguished. It looks plain grey. Rather similar to a bunch of other icons.
    Din't it use to be green?

Re: Issues with new filetype icons

Reply #1
  • Opus is indistinguished. It looks plain grey. Rather similar to a bunch of other icons.
    Din't it use to be green?
It didn't have an icon of its own so it used generic ogg icon. Now it has a gray-purple icon so it's distinguishable from the others by color. Your chosen UI colors remove all outlines and are guite similar to darker colors.

Reply #2
May I ask here how one gets these icons to display in a column in the playlist window? I don't see anything about file icons listed in "Foobar2000: Title Formatting Reference". I tired %icon%, %fileicon%, and %file_icon% with no success.

Reply #3
You can't do that with at least Default UI's or Columns UI's playlist viewers. I assume it would be possible with some javascript playlist.

Reply #4
Ooops. Forgot to set notifications...

It didn't have an icon of its own so it used generic ogg icon. Now it has a gray-purple icon so it's distinguishable from the others by color. Your chosen UI colors remove all outlines and are guite similar to darker colors.
Well, one of my points was that it's not distinguished enough, it looks generic grey. Maybe if it were more saturated.

I didn't do anything but set Total Commander to have a dark background. This is how they appear when I browse for files.

What about the playlist sharing an icon? Even with a CUE file which is not really a playlist.

May I ask here how one gets these icons to display in a column in the playlist window? I don't see anything about file icons listed in "Foobar2000: Title Formatting Reference". I tired %icon%, %fileicon%, and %file_icon% with no success.
It's just plain Total Commander, as I said above. This is not Foobar's UI.

Reply #5
I upgraded to b12. The playlist icons are a definite improvement, now at least I can tell them apart from audio icons. Though it would still be nice if they were all different from each other in some way. M3u, m3u8, pls, fpl, all used to be different, even at 16*16 size.

The opus icon is still unidentifiable. Maybe a lighter and/or more vivid green would serve better I think, it's a rather close relative to vorbis anyway.
Maybe something like this?

Reply #6
As I commented in the other thread, I see no point in inventing different looks for playlists. The format types stamped over the playlists might have been the most common formats used with the playlists over a decade ago when the icons were created, but certainly not anymore.

As for Opus icon, bright green is already used by OptimFrog. The point of different colors is to allow identifying the formats quickly without checking other info. Opus was stuck with generic Ogg icon because the icon artist had disappeared long before the format was created. I tried to select a color that is not too ugly but still different from everything else. To my eyes it looks fully recognizable from the other icons. What file types do you have in the dir with Opus files to make recognizing the format hard? And if it was green wouldn't it be hard or impossible to differentiate from Vorbis?

Reply #7
why don't we just use https://coolors.co to make unique color palettes for the icons and be creative