Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Hi frequency irritation (Read 3270 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi frequency irritation

Does hi frequency irritates my mind...I'm feeling like that..So I encoded all my music with 50 Hz - Highpass & 12000 Hz Lowpass..now i feel comfortable...people can hear hi frequency sound but cannot listen isn't it...is there any appz that softens music ..

Hi frequency irritation

Reply #1
If frequencies above 12khz in music are irritating you, that may be a sign of permanent hearing damage.

SEE A DOCTOR.

And any equalizer will do what you want.

Hi frequency irritation

Reply #2
Does all music bother you, or just some recordings?  How about live music?  Or, is it just when music is played-back on some particular equipment?

It could be that your speakers have a nasty peak in the high frequency range.

It could be that you just have particularly sensitive hearing, or it could just be a matter of taste.    (I find the "one-note" bass in most modern pop music rather annoying.)

So I encoded all my music with 50 Hz - Highpass & 12000 Hz Lowpass.
  If you like it that way, then go-ahead an do it!      (Most people who appreciate good music and good sound are trying to reproduce the music exactly as-recorded, or as-intended, and will only use filters or equalization to compensate of a defect in the recording, or a weakness in their speakers or listining room.)

is there any appz that softens music ..
  By "appz", do you mean computer applications????  Some soundcards/soundchips come with an application that includes an equalizer and other effects.  Most audio player software also includes filters & effects, or a way to add them as plug-ins.

Hi frequency irritation

Reply #3
I have had to do the same when listening on some systems that seem to just become shrill at moderate to high volumes with the high end present. Mainly seems to be crap speakers with no crossovers.

Before ruining your encoded files like that, I would look into just playing it with a sample rate converter set to 24000 - that will kill everything above 12kHz in one hit. Bit confused by the 50Hz highpass since your lucky to see anything usable below 80Hz in most musical recordings, is it just that the system cant handle it or are you giving it major bass boost on playback necessitating the removal of anything below your speakers resonance to stop it from just flapping around loosely?

But really, look at your system. The content is there to be heard, if your system has crap speakers, then it might just be that you need to look at getting something slightly better to play them on.

Hi frequency irritation

Reply #4
You may regret making these modifications to the encodings themselves as you obviously can't undo them when you get better playabck equipment. I'd be inclined to leave the filter parameters alone and go for something like LAME VBR -V3 personally. They encode at an average bitrate of around 175Kbps with an HF cut-off at around 18 to 18.5kHz.

Almost all portable MP3 players and PC playback utilities have a built-in multi-band graphic equaliser that allows you to set a global EQ that attenuates the low and high frequencies anyway if you want to. They can still be there in the source material for the future should you need them. I don't see the advantage of messing around with previously untested sets of parameters when thoroughly tested presets already exist and work extremely well.

Cheers, Slipstreem.