Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC Files are now Wave files; What'd I Do? (Read 4071 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC Files are now Wave files; What'd I Do?

I've been trying to get EAC and FLAC setup properly, but the last few albums I've ripped have been saved as WAVE files.  Any idea what I changed?  I know there's a preference or option somewhere that needs to be switched.
Thanks!

Reply #1
EAC rips only.  It rips as WAV files.  You must now convert them to FLAC.  You need the FLAC codec, I believe.  Some FLAChead will fill you in.  Sit down and have a cool drink while you are waiting for the reply.  It is all good, so long as you have the WAV fiiles.     
Nov schmoz kapop.

Reply #2
You probably clicked the rip - uncompressed button.  You can always compress the waves into flac and use foobar2000 to retrieve freedb data.

Reply #3
' date='May 8 2006, 23:27' post='390667']
You probably clicked the rip - uncompressed button.  You can always compress the waves into flac and use foobar2000 to retrieve freedb data.

I'm thinking this is probably what happened.  I'll try rip-compressed tonight.

Also, I've been reading about the differences between ripping as an album image, or as separate tracks.  I'm assuming that I have it set for separate tracks, as when I open the folder after ripping, it's 10 different files (is this assumption correct?).  I couldn't find an answer as to where I select the option to rip as an image with cue sheet or as separate tracks.  Can anyone point me to the right menu/choice?
thanks again!

Reply #4
Also, I've been reading about the differences between ripping as an album image, or as separate tracks.  I'm assuming that I have it set for separate tracks, as when I open the folder after ripping, it's 10 different files (is this assumption correct?).  I couldn't find an answer as to where I select the option to rip as an image with cue sheet or as separate tracks.  Can anyone point me to the right menu/choice?

To avoid confusion, start the ripping process with the Action menu instead of using buttons.

Action :
--> Copy Image & Create CUE Sheet :
----> Uncompressed
----> Compressed

Reply #5
Thanks for the help, things seem to be back where they should be.

One more question: in EAC, I recently got some peak levels that were not 100%, which I thought my rips usually were.  Is this a problem?  The Track % was still 100, but I was getting some peak levels ranging from 20% on up.  Anything I can do to prevent this, or does it not matter?

Thanks again!

Reply #6
I believe that peak level just refers to the volume level of the audio on the disc.

Lower levels would actually often be better, as your CD is less likely to have clipping.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #7
Indeed, Peak level has nothing to do with extraction quality. And even if the Track quality figure is less than 100%, it does not mean that the extracted audio is less than perfect. The "quality" percentage drops a little bit for each sector reread that is done, whether the result was successful or not. As long as there were no errors reported, ("Copy OK"), then a good copy was made.