Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CD-R vs DVD-R (Read 11883 times) previous topic - next topic

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #50
Ok thanks.. I've had a first generation (or was it 2nd? it could do 2x) pioneer for a year or two now.. I spent much more on it and generally its been ok.. I unscientifically narrowed down onto zero defex disks as performing ok in stand alone players.. I've always had to burn at 1x though.. I had a lot of problems with playback when burning at 2x .. as such i'm already well practised at using a drive not at its maximum speed for the sake of improving quality/playback on other devices..

As such if the drive is good at 4x i can live with that instead of 8x... I have 25 8x +R discs.. i will obviously use them and see.. the burning at 4x will transform the burning into something i'm happier doing for casual use.. when it takes an hour it becomes more like hard work..

Glad to hear that at least it does seem to be pretty good though.. at least there is some correlation between c't and the sites i quoted with it being claimed to be high quality compared to most of its peers... sorry to gloat but sometimes i dont like Sony.. its interesting that their drive ain't exactly great.. its still nearly twice the price of the NEC here..

Cheers

CD-R vs DVD-R

Reply #51
I'd like to know
what app will tell me if there are errors, etc...on my
freshly burnt DVD-R

Try Nero CD/DVD Speed,
Should be at Ahead's site (it's free)

Is this the only options.. what exactly are you supposed to do with it.. the scan disk.. it doesn't seem to give a lot of info.. i assume it only reports fatal errors..

I've already come across my NEC's weakness at reading dodgy discs.. i really hope that dont sting too much  my recent PC woes have all come about from ripping dvds on my main machine causing a fatal crash.. i'm sure its not the programs (dvd decrypter) fault but still i'm NOT going to do it again till i change hardware.. i may try to get another better reader in my main machine if it becomes an issue..

The programs linked in my quotes of the other reviews all talk about the software being written for LG writers only so i guess they aren't worth bothering with.. it'd be nice to have an indication locally of the quality of the burn... its so time consuming tho that for the most part i wont bother.. i know my md5 checking was taking a fair amount of time as well..