Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 1/8" to RCA converter: What sort of loss? (Read 3277 times) previous topic - next topic

1/8" to RCA converter: What sort of loss?

I currently have a soundcard with RCA outs (M-Audio Audiophile 24/96), but it seems to be dying. I'd like to upgrade to a better card, but there simply don't seem to be any other good ones with RCA outs to go into my monoblock amps.

I don't have a standalone DAC, and someday I'd like to have a full 5.1/7.1 system (Onkyo receiver, perhaps) but use a better DAC when listening to two-channel audio.

I've seen 1/8" (typical headphone/soundcard outputs) to RCA Stereo converter cables, and am wondering what sort of audio degradation this may provide, or if this approach would work going directly into my amps.

I'm considering the HT Omega Claro Plus+ soundcard, but am not sure whether its DACs and apparently expensive opamp preamps would be better than the DAC/pre on, say, an Onkyo TX-SR805 Audio/Video Receiver.

Thank you!

Reply #1
Probably no audible problems. Most interconnects are heavily shielded, and the 1/8 to RCA cables I have seen are not, so it would be possible to pick up some interference. I have never noticed any. I have done this before, and while it does work.. one issue to be careful of with 1/8th is they can come loose from the plug much easier than with RCA and that could, possibly, damage speakers.

I am thinking that for directly connecting a sound card to an amplifier the card you have is optimum. Perhaps merely replacing that card would be best for your current situation. It is, by all accounts, a very capable sound card.

Were you to get something like that receiver though, then a card with SPDIF outputs, maybe something inexpensive and compatible with Dogbert's bit-perfect drivers would suit you best.
-- Dogbert's driver thread

I currently am happy with my Asus Xonar DX, primarily because of SPDIF and its ability to encode to 5.1 with dolby digital live for 3d surround gaming over SPDIF. I use a Yamaha rx-v463 (Burr-Brown 192kHz/24-bit DACs) receiver with that; disabling dolby digital live for music, of course, which also sounds great. If not for my gaming use, I would have gone with a less expensive sound card and Dogbert's drivers myself.

Reply #2
Not like adding an adapter in the signal path is really going to matter, but buying a sound card with RCA outputs should not be a problem nowadays. You might need to buy a USB/Firewire external interface though. Heck, nowadays it's not that hard to find balanced interfaces with XLR or TRS outputs...

Reply #3
Heck, nowadays it's not that hard to find balanced interfaces with XLR or TRS outputs...

And if unbalanced signal is needed, using TS pulgs in balanced TRS output will do the job.
Ceterum censeo, there should be an "%is_stop_after_current%".