Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What lossy format(s) do you use on a *regular* basis?

AAC or HE-AAC v1/v2 (.m4a, .aac…)
[ 33 ] (18.9%)
LossyWAV + lossless (.lossy.flac, .lossy.wv, .lossy.tak…)
[ 5 ] (2.9%)
MP3 (.mp3)
[ 45 ] (25.7%)
Musepack (.mpc)
[ 10 ] (5.7%)
Ogg Vorbis (.ogg)
[ 11 ] (6.3%)
Opus (.opus)
[ 45 ] (25.7%)
WavPack Lossy/Hybrid (.wv)
[ 4 ] (2.3%)
xHE-AAC (USAC)
[ 5 ] (2.9%)
I don't really use any lossy codec on a regular basis
[ 17 ] (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 175

Voting closed: 2021-01-01 23:45:44

Topic: 2020 Format poll [Lossy Formats]  (Read 18953 times) previous topic - next topic

2020 Format poll [Lossy Formats]

Hi,

What lossy format(s) do you use on a *regular* basis?

Now there is also  a new xHE-AAC encoder, exhale, so let's see how it goes.

:)

The results over the years:

Re: 2020 Format poll [Lossy Formats]

Reply #1
Yay! It`s that time of the year again! (for me to change my vote for a completely different format from last year, the year before and so on...)  :D
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #2
I'm using WavPack lossy -b450hh. High quality, very fast encoding.
Considering affordable 256/512 GB mSD cards, I don't need to go into lossy 128-256k zone anymore. :)
lame --abr 288 -f --lowpass 17 (+ mp3gain@92 dB)

Reply #3
Been having good luck with Lame MP3 at V3 and Wavpack hybrid at 384kbps with DNS, So i picked MP3. Would pick xHE AAC/USAC but nothing on Android supports it?.
Got locked out on a password i didn't remember. :/

Reply #4
It doesn't seem to allow multiple selections?

Reply #5
Would pick xHE AAC/USAC but nothing on Android supports it?.

ExoPlayer on Android should play xHE AAC. ;)
lame --abr 288 -f --lowpass 17 (+ mp3gain@92 dB)

Reply #7
It doesn't seem to allow multiple selections?

Blame it on the forum script.

It's always* been like that.

Edit: Being the CODEC hoppers most of us are (myself included), I think - for clarity's sake - it's best we don't get to pick 3 or 4 different formats as it'd probably be my case, at least.  :D

* That is, for this forum script.
União e reconstrução

Reply #8
Since several years I use AAC with Apple encoder, but I would use Opus if my car multimedia player would support it.

Reply #9
My music collection is FLAC where possible, excepting for some rarities only available in MP3 or some audiobooks, but I transcode to Opus (96-128kbps) for portable use.

Reply #10
Despite how much I use Vorbis today for quality encoding at higher bit rates, Opus is still the codec I use the most because it continues to work so well for general content around 128 kbps.

Reply #11
Yeah. Outside of MP3, Opus is king at 96kbps since it can handle quite heavy samples.

Reply #12
I've transcoded everything including mp3s to opus and now all my music fits in my phone.

Reply #13
i did not vote because i use many:
- 320kbps 5.1 aac for movies (ripbot264 uses fraunhofer encoder)
- Qaac tvbr 36 mono for audiobooks.
- Mp3 -V2 (replaygain adjusted) in my car.
- Musepack Q5 for music on my phone and rockbox mp3player. It sounds great and has a higher lowpass at lower bitrate compared to qaac tvbr 91.

I don't use oggvorbis. I find artifacts more annoying than codecs above.
I'm not using Opus because of bad replaygain support and the 48khz samplerate.

Reply #14
I use aac from itunes at 320 kbps

Reply #15
@IgorC‍ , I believe you came up some time ago with some charts for the polls' results , but I just put the percentages from the last 6 years or so (couldn't find 2015) through their paces on a spreadsheet indicating their trendlines (for the "most popular" four) as well as "market share"*.

* We know well these polls should be taken for what they are: a snapshot of what some of us HA freaks have been up to in the lossy front, nothing else.

No surprises then as to what CODEC`s adoption seems to have been growing steadily since its inception!

União e reconstrução

Reply #16
For more than one codec i use

Home ~ Lame V0/320kbps if i can't find anything lossless.

DAP/Phone ~ Vorbis at 160kbps, Been doing more ABX can't tell 99% of the time. AAC/MP3 can't stand there artifacts on electronic/metal.

Reply #17
Imo, everything except the MP3 is useless for music.
MP3s encoded using LAME with V2 preset are transparent, have great size and work everywhere.
I also used to encode to multiple formats but it became very hard organizing separate libraries so I decided to use MP3 only.

Reply #18
@IgorC‍ , I believe you came up some time ago with some charts for the polls' results , but I just put the percentages from the last 6 years or so (couldn't find 2015) through their paces on a spreadsheet indicating their trendlines (for the "most popular" four) as well as "market share"*.
Nice graph.  And yes, we haven't made a poll in 2015.

* We know well these polls should be taken for what they are: a snapshot of what some of us HA freaks have been up to in the lossy front, nothing else.
Yes, absolutely

Reply #19
Imo, everything except the MP3 is useless for music.
MP3s encoded using LAME with V2 preset are transparent, have great size and work everywhere.
I also used to encode to multiple formats but it became very hard organizing separate libraries so I decided to use MP3 only.

Lame starts to be transparent at V3 which moved to, I just use Lossy WV at 384kbps(DNS) to cover stuff MP3 can't handle at V0, Or vbr 256k Helix MP3. MP3 being constantly first place in these polls seem to back that up, It really is the music version of JPEG. 

Reply #20
...MP3 can't stand there artifacts on electronic/metal.
MP3's can really make a noise if the input sample rate is too high for the file size. 
I've experimented with PPHS >32000 resample (tops out at 16khz, still beats FM radio), prior to MP3 VBR encodes. 
At least it does make the smaller file sizes work without as many artifacts. 

I've only recently found out about it, but have needed that clue for at least a decade. 

Reply #21
@IgorC‍ , I believe you came up some time ago with some charts for the polls' results , but I just put the percentages from the last 6 years or so (couldn't find 2015) through their paces on a spreadsheet indicating their trendlines (for the "most popular" four) as well as "market share"*.
  Nice graph.  And yes, we haven't made a poll in 2015.

Yes, absolutely

Glad you liked it. I've just noticed where it reads 'Lossy WV' (second codec from the right) I should have written (for clarity's sake), 'Wavpack lossy' instead. 

Well, maybe next year?  ;)
União e reconstrução

Reply #22
...MP3 can't stand there artifacts on electronic/metal.
MP3's can really make a noise if the input sample rate is too high for the file size. 
I've experimented with PPHS >32000 resample (tops out at 16khz, still beats FM radio), prior to MP3 VBR encodes. 
At least it does make the smaller file sizes work without as many artifacts. 

I've only recently found out about it, but have needed that clue for at least a decade. 
Never had that issue, i hate how helix MP3 only can take 16 bit in put. For voice ABR 80kbps still sounds great.

Reply #23
For many many years ive been using ACC. Looks like nothing better is made, atleast for me.

Reply #24
I've been a vorbis user since early beta days.  My library currently breaks down like this:
Vorbis - 76.6%
MP3 - 23.0%
The odd Opus or AAC accounts for the rest.  I'd prefer the vorbis % was higher, really, but a lot of MP3 has crept in over the years.  Anything from CD is ripped as FLAC and coverted to vorbis for regular use.  For any artist that I really care about, it's CDs or lossy downloads.  I would have transitioned to opus, if only my car supported it natively (as it does vorbis).