Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Looking for portable amp, need some help (Read 2526 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for portable amp, need some help

Trying to find a portable amp, I've been reading reviews but so far I can't tell what's actually good or not. Looking for 4 items in a portable amp. Doesn't matter if it's a DAC/AMP combo either.

* no coloration of the source.

* no raising, lowering frequency levels.   

* Silent or very low noise floor with sensitive IEM[/li][/list]

* ability to take source input of 2 VRMS

Re: Looking for portable amp, need some help

Reply #1
What are you doing with the amp?

Reply #2
use with my WESTONE UM PRO 10. But i have a high impedance output on the source so I want to put an amp between the source and the IEM.

Reply #3
According to Google those are 25 ohms and 130.0dB/volt.  In that case, I'd probably recommend a basic low impedance source, maybe even a cheaper Fiio.  I would also be careful about voltage.  Putting even a volt or two into phones that sensitive could damage your hearing and/or headphones.

Reply #4
According to Google those are 25 ohms and 130.0dB/volt.  In that case, I'd probably recommend a basic low impedance source, maybe even a cheaper Fiio.  I would also be careful about voltage.  Putting even a volt or two into phones that sensitive could damage your hearing and/or headphones.

Yeah I was thinking about going that route. Was looking at the Ibasso DX90, AK JR or FIIO X7 but then I thought maybe an amp would be better as it will be more versatile

Reply #5
High impedance source devices are pretty uncommon these days, at least for portables and quality USB devices.  If you've just got some old thing, it may not be a bad idea to upgrade or even just use a smartphone. 

Reply #6
High impedance source devices are pretty uncommon these days, at least for portables and quality USB devices.  If you've just got some old thing, it may not be a bad idea to upgrade or even just use a smartphone. 
Yeah, it's 3-4 years old and practically 80% brand new. I just feel like I haven't used it much and really hate to shove it into a drawer.