Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can't choose 192 (Read 1568 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't choose 192

Hi All...

I have win7 ultimate and EAC 1.3.  EAC was working really well a couple of weeks ago and I had saved several profiles one being a profile for MP3 at 192 kBit/s.  Today I wanted to rip a couple of CD's to MP3 but EAC will not give up on 256 kBit/s even though I have chosen 192 on the drop down and even tried to put it in the command line space.  I am using the "User defined" option without problems up until today.

I uninstalled EAC thinking their might be a glitch but after reinstall, it still wants to compress at 256 kBit/s.  I can only figure I am not properly entering my demand on the command line at "Additional command line options".  I have been at this several hours and still for the life of me can't clear this hurdle.  What am I doing wrong?  Please type out exactly the command I should use to arrive at 192.  I have to be doing something wrong but am now hopelessly lost.  Here is what I have in the command line space -V 0 %source% %dest%.  I have tried to insert -b 192 after the zero but no joy.  When I rip a song it comes out in the command window as 256 kBit/s.       Anyone???????????????

So about 2 minutes after I posted this I found my mistake.  Should have been -V2 %source% %dest%.  Sorry for losing it.  I just couldn't take it any more.

Thanks, plain

Re: Can't choose 192

Reply #1
You  seem to want CBR but told Lame to use high-bitrate VBR and to not go any lower than 192kbits.

The dropdown box of bitrates does nothing if you've configured EAC to use the user defined encoder parameter passing scheme unless you specifically call out the %bitrate% placeholder.

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_and_Lame

On that page you'll see:
-b%bitrate% %source% %dest%

That's what you want to use if you want to do CBR and the dropdown box.  That said, -V2 is probably the better choice, provided you don't have some reason why your files can't go beyond 192kbits when the encoder finds it necessary.

Re: Can't choose 192

Reply #2
Thank You Greynol,

Yes I wanted variable bitrate.  And I do now remember I can't use the drop-down with "User Defined" without -b%bitrate%, since you reminded me, Thanks.  I am still trying to learn Exact Audio Copy and sometimes have the deer-in-the-headlights stare when I try to remember how I am supposed to accomplish something.  I have plenty of CD's to rip so I should wind up knowing how to use EAC pretty well before it is over with.

Cheers!