Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Playback Statistics component (Read 201753 times) previous topic - next topic

Playback Statistics component

The 2.x line of this component is discontinued. See the 3.x thread for up-to-date discussion.

----------------

New version of the official Playback Statistics component has been released.
http://foobar2000.org/components

New version highlights:
  • Now uses a separate file for playback statistics database, instead of storing it in foobar2000.cfg.
  • Backwards compatible with old versions - old database gets imported on first run.
  • Keeps track of moved/renamed files as long as you use relevant foobar2000 components to do the moving.
  • Faster startup/shutdown compared to the old component.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #1
thanks !

Reply #2
It is possible add rating in your database with quiq tags?
Store rating in one place with playcount statistics is good idea.

Reply #3
Faster is better! (and it really did faster on my PC)

Thanks.

Reply #4

And this is why fb2k doesn't give users control over metadata-storage. Well, one of the reasons at least.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #5
Thanks!

Reply #6

And this is why fb2k doesn't give users control over metadata-storage. Well, one of the reasons at least.

I don't understand, what is the reason exactly? this actually sounds like a sane idea. both rating and play counts are similar entities in function and behavior. they are typically the only tags that store user dependent data, and are subject to change.

edit: thanks for the update. the tagging  progress bar no longer pops up for any files ive tested it with, and its half the size

Reply #7
This is great! Looks wonderful in 0.9.5. Thanks.

Reply #8
I would appreciate to store the information in tags (otpionally of course). Is it possible?

Reply #9
check the advanced preferences for
Automatically synchronize file tags with statistics

Reply #10
Why is this advanced setting not recommended?

Thanks for all the work.

Reply #11
It may cause playback interruption.

Reply #12
once again Peter comes out with the goods.

Peter would you consider adding the rating tag into this file as well since it is a very common standard now within the community

Thanks again, loving all the updates.

Reply #13
Silently updating tags of files as they're played - without any kind of confirmation - is considered a dangerous misfeature by many people, for various reasons (tagging scheme incompatibilities, file checksum changes clashing with filesharing software, etc).
If you want your playback statistics stored in file tags, you can as well use Playback Statistics / Synchronize Statistics with File Tags context menu command, which includes proper safety measures, so your files get altered only when you explicitly request such action.

Reply #14
Silently updating tags of files as they're played - without any kind of confirmation - is considered a dangerous misfeature by many people, for various reasons (tagging scheme incompatibilities, file checksum changes clashing with filesharing software, etc).
If you want your playback statistics stored in file tags, you can as well use Playback Statistics / Synchronize Statistics with File Tags context menu command, which includes proper safety measures, so your files get altered only when you explicitly request such action.

But the only way to display the played count in the Play List is by having written to the file tags (using the non-recommended option). Otherwise the %play_count% field remains unchanged. Or did I miss something?

Reply #15
But the only way to display the played count in the Play List is by having written to the file tags (using the non-recommended option). Otherwise the %play_count% field remains unchanged. Or did I miss something?
You don't have to write playback statistics information to tags for being able to access the information. You can use %play_count% to access the information no matter if you chose to use file tags or a separate database file (default). The only thing you have to be aware of is that the files have to be in the media library.

Reply #16

You don't have to write playback statistics information to tags for being able to access the information. You can use %play_count% to access the information no matter if you chose to use file tags or a separate database file (default). The only thing you have to be aware of is that the files have to be in the media library.

Well, except I don't update the field in the song file, I can't get the information from %play_count%. Could it be as PLAY_COUNT is currently a field in my song tag, that variable %play_count% reads the data from the file and not from the stats database? I mean, in one way or another there is a duplicate field: in the song tag, and in the stats database. The variable %play_count$ refers to which one?

Reply #17
Well, except I don't update the field in the song file, I can't get the information from %play_count%. Could it be as PLAY_COUNT is currently a field in my song tag, that variable %play_count% reads the data from the file and not from the stats database? I mean, in one way or another there is a duplicate field: in the song tag, and in the stats database. The variable %play_count$ refers to which one?
That's correct, file tags currently take priority over fields provided by components. This behavior will be changed in the next foobar2000 0.9.5 beta.

Reply #18
That's correct, file tags currently take priority over fields provided by components. This behavior will be changed in the next foobar2000 0.9.5 beta.

Thanks for the clarification. That was driving me nuts

Reply #19
Is there anyway to share the file that is used for playback statistics?  I have all my music on a network drive and play the music on up to three PCs.  I would love to be able to share the statistics on all the PCs as well.  I would rather not write it as a tag as there is a lag when writing the tag information over a network.

Thanks!

Reply #20
Sorry to do this, but I just bumping this up to (hopefully) get my question answered from the last post.

Thanks!

Reply #21
Is there anyway to share the file that is used for playback statistics?  I have all my music on a network drive and play the music on up to three PCs.  I would love to be able to share the statistics on all the PCs as well.  I would rather not write it as a tag as there is a lag when writing the tag information over a network.

You can create batch file that will copy PlaybackStatistics.dat to other computers and then start foobar2000. Or even simplier -  install foobar2000 on that shared network drive.

Reply #22
You can create batch file that will copy PlaybackStatistics.dat to other computers and then start foobar2000. Or even simplier -  install foobar2000 on that shared network drive.

This does not seem to work.  I just manually copied PlaybackStatistics.dat from one machine to the other and Foobar does not pick up the stats from the other machine. 

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks!

Reply #23
PlaybackStatistics.dat is not designed to be shared by multiple foobar2000 installations. I'm afraid there is no way to do what you want.

Reply #24
PlaybackStatistics.dat is not designed to be shared by multiple foobar2000 installations. I'm afraid there is no way to do what you want.

Thanks Foosion.  I will keep the stats separate for now and hope that maybe in a future release you will be able to define a location for the playback statistics dat file and the tracks are identified by something other than their path on the PC (but I won't hold my breath for that update!  )