Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [copyprotection] Bmg's War Against Copying (Read 9208 times) previous topic - next topic

[copyprotection] Bmg's War Against Copying

Reply #25
In the U.S. I think they only tack on the royalty charge on CD-Rs marked "Audio". "Data" CD-Rs should be without the extra charge. Or maybe that has changed?

Reply #26
jsut to add something to the debat

herse an articles where someone claims copy protections is not usefull in the long run

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?...p?id=ns99993020

its pretty short so read it.

i have alwasy beleive in the phrase(if you can read, it you can copy it)
Sven Bent - Denmark

Reply #27
In the U.S. I think they only tack on the royalty charge on CD-Rs marked "Audio". "Data" CD-Rs should be without the extra charge. Or maybe that has changed?

It is like this in Sweden also. Only on "audio" CD-R.

Reply #28
This means that all BMG discs are now low quality. Only "backups" will be good and reliable.

Copy protected CDs are a guaranteed measure to prevent customers from trusting major record labels discs anymore, as a street made copy will give better quality and price, demand for such _reliable_ backups discs will only increase.

All means of copy protection are doomed to failure, and will only increase production costs, and will annoy who knows how many people.

I guess we will simply keep producing our own full quality Red Book CDs and start ignore the major brands, it could be a good thing, to promote independent artists, underground scene, and all.

Remember how Divx (copy/play controlled DVD) failed, look how SACD is doomed from the beginning, and any outragious format that they devise (unless easily cracked open) will face strong opposition from the public.

The people are starting to resort to their own formats. Divx/Xvid instead of DVD, Mp3/Ogg Vorbis instead of CD, we are even developing our own software and hardware, they are losing control, they are desperate to regain that control back, they have lost already, but they will fight, will declare the whole world illegal, the whole knowledge a sin, and freedom a crime, and put their money to buy all the politicians and fund the lawyers.

Even with Palladium, you will see how people will start thinking seriously about free software and probably hardware, when Microsoft asks regular fees to use Windows, Office, Messenger, and such things people are starting to depend on for without knowing that its exactly what they want, so later they can ask whatever they want. Its the drug dealer tactic, none the less, first for free, then you pay, then you owe, then you die...

(Note: Term "free" used as in Freedom of Speech).
She is waiting in the air

Reply #29
Copy protection will never succeed. It reminds me of the motto of a certain group of shareware/crippleware crackers:
"We ALWAYS get what we want!"

Reply #30

What was I thinking?  Your right this just plain sucks.  Well New artists are going to suffer as I already have most of the music I grew up with that they can't take away from me.  300 cd's worth.  Keep the discussion rolling people.

Trek,

Reply #31
jsut to add something to the debat

herse an articles where someone claims copy protections is not usefull in the long run

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?...p?id=ns99993020

its pretty short so read it.

i have alwasy beleive in the phrase(if you can read, it you can copy it)

this article is really interesting, it sounds that good existing hardware would only need minor firmware upgrades to bypass copy protection. Sorry that plextor, sony and phillips are macrovision partners, so my 24x plextor might be doomed. Hell with it, i still have my new LG 16X-DVDROM with accurate DAE

Reply #32
This means that all BMG discs are now low quality. Only "backups" will be good and reliable.

I agree.
As you "cannot" rip copy-protected CDs............!? (what?, what is protected?        marker-trick rocks    ) then you cannot know if there are wrong sectors unless you fool the protection. (I did this, when -finally- ripped all tracks succesfully (two of 'em had to be read in EAC paranoid mode a few times instead on secure mode in order to match CRCs) and finally burnt the tracks with EAC (with ISRC codes) on a high quality CD - I use HiSpace CarbonCD for those "Master" discs...They don't give me any CRC errors (after the burn, I test all the tracks, I also note the CRC values for the songs on the inside paper of the CD, as my burner is 8x (Yamaha 8424 SCSI) and burning at that speed is very secure -but I burn audio at 4x, I heard that is the best speed for that....-  I seriously believe those discs' quality is much higher and BLER is pretty much lower (<10) than those of the pressed one.

Well, ok, I went too off-topic. Returning to it, I have to tell what happened to me...
I bought a copy-protected CD (Juanes-Un Día Normal, [sold here in Spain]), and the back-cover said it can be read ONLY by standard players and computers based on Windows.
First of all, without removing the copy protection, I tested it on SlimX (multisession compatible) and it read it pissing off the protection. I laughed a lot, as portables are known by being unable to read those discs.
Then, I tested it on a computer.
The surprise was that both DVD Player and burner read a small "player" program that....was playing not the songs, but a 128kbits play!!!!
I noticed it because that program was saying 128kbits, and the player led wasn't glowing as fast as it does when reading an audio CD.

For me, that was an insult. I have no real audiophile equipment and / or paranormal hearing - I have a SlimX portable and a SBLive 5.1 - , but I ONLY want quality stuff (I use, or MP3 insane, or MPC --quality 8.5, or the original WAVS. Only seeing "128kbits" on a original disc enraged me...

The solution against the copy protections must lie in the hardware....
If some manufacturer gets angry with them (think about the effect on their sales on products that "cannot read" those discs) then they should add some "evil" feature in the burners, like what I talked about in the EAC forum: It can have various usages, such destroying confidential data in a packet-written CD-R (not CDR-W)  but, as a "revenge" for the sales impact, it should also be able to detect where the copy protection is located (If you know where -in this case, it's the 2nd session- , then -automatically or manually- engage up a special overpowered laser [much higher than what it needs for a CD-R or CD-RW] then physically "slay down" any pits and lands you want to remove, leaving only a extremely long pit -null info- , but without damaging the external surface, so there won't be a "2nd session" anymore.