Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What's with the awful sound of Opus through (some) bluetooth speakers ? (Read 2185 times) previous topic - next topic

What's with the awful sound of Opus through (some) bluetooth speakers ?

Hello everyone. This thing annoys me to no end and when I search about it on the internet I find nothing : the sound of opus files is awful when using some bluetooth speakers. Let me explain :

I use the opus format on all of my devices : android devices with foobar2000 for android, Rockbox driven DAP (such as Ipod and Sandisk Clipzip), and a linux PC. I settled for a bitrate of 76kbps, which is fine for my use, almost transparent. Listening my music on these devices with headphones give me nice results, no complaints.

However, I have 3 bluetooth receivers and problems with 2 of them :
- a LiNKFOR DAC 192kHz (the same as shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RfTmxm3uXI&t=72s&pp=ugMICgJmchABGAE%3D compared with the logitech one) plugged on my stereo system.
- a JBL GO
- a Earfun Uboom L

Everything is fine with the LiNKFOR 192kHz but with the two others the sound can be awful in the high frequency range : very "washy washy" sound especially on the cymbals sound.
I made tests with 96kbps or 128kbps Opus file and even though I still have the impression that the quality is deteriorated it remains... fine. But with 76kbps or 64kbps sound files it's awful. Mind you, I am aware that 64kbps files can exhibit artifacts in the high range but I am talking about something even more degraded and really disturbing notably with long cymbal sounds.
Tests made with ~80kbps Ogg Vorbis files do not give the same issue, I notice no degradation.

Also, very important point : the awful sound is the same even when the speaker is connected via the AUX cord ! (for both speakers)

Does anyone have any explanation for that ? Could it be a sample rate issue between a 48kHz opus file and a maybe locked in 44,1kHz bluetooth device ? This is the only explanation that I have in mind.

Re: What's with the awful sound of Opus through (some) bluetooth speakers ?

Reply #1
Based on your description, I think those bluetooth speakers are downmixing the stereo audio to mono. Try encoding your files with "--no-phase-inv" and see if that fixes the problem.

Reply #2
Boom, problem solved, with "--no-phase-inv" the sound issue vanished.
Thank you so much !

Reply #3
I forgot to mention it, but some players have an option to apply a fix when decoding. If your player has the option, you can use it to save yourself the trouble of re-encoding everything.

Reply #4
Thanks for the info. When you write "player" do you mean PC software or some DAP firmwares ?

Reply #5
Both. The option exists in the Opus specification and the reference Opus decoder, so it's possible for any PC software player or DAP firmware to include it - though I don't know if any of the ones you use actually do include it.

Reply #6
I think mainly about foobar2000 mobile, that would be sweet. When looking up on the internet I mainly found some forum posts with requests for this option in various softwares (Firefox for example) but did not found any actual implementation.