Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What preset are folks using? (Read 5458 times) previous topic - next topic

What preset are folks using?

Just wondering what preset (standard, extreem or insane) folks are using to encode to .mpc. I don't think I hear a difference between standard and anything higher but my ears aren't the most educated.
To me, clowns aren\'t funny. In fact, they\'re kinda scary. I\'ve wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus and a clown killed my dad. -- Jack Handy

Reply #1
Originally posted by Rant
Just wondering what preset (standard, extreem or insane) folks are using to encode to .mpc. I don't think I hear a difference between standard and anything higher but my ears aren't the most educated.

I use mpc --xtreme.  I can't really tell the difference between standard and extreme but I'm using extreme so that if I get a better sound system in the future I won't have to worry about things suddenly 'showing up'

Nick

Reply #2
I use --xtreme --nmt 16 --tmn 32

Reply #3
--insane.
For better transcoding in high quality mp3 file

Reply #4
-archive

Wooops... weren't you guys talking about Psytel? 

Anyway, I'd like to know too what switches AAC people like to use.

Thanks.

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #5
Originally posted by Somebody
I use --xtreme --nmt 16 --tmn 32

Ditto
\"The true method of knowledge is experiment.\" - William Blake

Reply #6
Thanks very much for the responses folks. I'll give those switches a try right now.
To me, clowns aren\'t funny. In fact, they\'re kinda scary. I\'ve wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus and a clown killed my dad. -- Jack Handy

Reply #7
--standard for most of my music. It's indistinguishable for me from the original at normal listening (and the vast majority of samples at careful listening, too) and has a very reasonable bitrate.
--xtreme for my favourite albums, just in case, if I ever decide to buy better equipment, but I doubt that I, humble mortal with average hearing, will ever be able to reliably ABX an --xtreme sample, much less find it annoying.
~Dologan

Reply #8
Hmmmm ... I honestly don't hear much of a difference. These speakers are kinda shitty so may not be the best to judge with. Would I hear a difference with a good set or are folks just being careful. My concern is that the file size with the xtreem switches is very large (11 megs) compared to the standard one (6.5 megs).

Reply #9
For most of my music i use --standart. It is quite enough.
However if i encounter an artifact i encode this track with --xtreme.
And i never use --insane.

Reply #10
Originally posted by Rant
Would I hear a difference with a good set or are folks just being careful.

Mostly just being careful.  Most people are unlikely to be able to even abx --standard with a high degree of reliability, let alone --xtreme.

My concern is that the file size with the xtreem switches is very large (11 megs) compared to the standard one (6.5 megs).

Hrmm... the difference shouldn't be that large with just --xtreme vs --standard.  --xtreme should be generating bitrates near 192kbps or so, and standard probably more around 140-160 or so.  So unless you are using the modified ones (nmt 16 tmn 32, which is overkill unless you just don't care about space) I think you should see less of a size increase than that.

Reply #11
Well, I think that if you are like me and don't have exceptional hearing nor equipment, you won't miss the extra quality --xtreme provides but will appreciate the saved bytes.
It depends also on how fussy you are to differences. I can notice some artifacts on mp3 files, but most of the time I don't even find them annoying, so I don't mind if the file does not sound exactly the same as the original.
It's all up to the listener.

~Dologan

Reply #12
Originally posted by Dibrom

Mostly just being careful.  Most people are unlikely to be able to even abx --standard with a high degree of reliability, let alone --xtreme.

Hrmm... the difference shouldn't be that large with just --xtreme vs --standard.  --xtreme should be generating bitrates near 192kbps or so, and standard probably more around 140-160 or so.  So unless you are using the modified ones (nmt 16 tmn 32, which is overkill unless you just don't care about space) I think you should see less of a size increase than that.

Yeah I should've been more clear here. You're 100% right though. I was seeing this difference when I tried the modified settings mentioned. Just as a guess (I'm not going to bother checking cause I'm pretty happy with --standard) this same track encoded with the just --xtreme probably would've weighed in at around 9 megs.
Thanks again to everyone who took time to respond. 

Reply #13
I'll throw this in here as well so's not to start another thread and because it's semi-related.
I have a few hundred mp3's that I've d/l'ed that were encoded at 320 kbps. To me, especially with HD's approaching critical mass, this is serious over-kill. So what I've started doing is decoding these using LAME and re-encoding them to .mpc with the --standard preset. I know there aren't a lot of fans of this practice and I would never do it myself with anything but a 320. Just wondering if anyone wants to offer an opinion on this. I'm pretty happy with the results and the half gig of HD space I've reclaimed so far is sorely needed.