Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: tag copy (Read 2003 times) previous topic - next topic

tag copy

When converting a file with a tag, for example I converted 24bit-192kHz flac files to 16bit-44.1kHz flac files under "other" i clicked on transfer tag (metadata). Afterwards in mp3tag the tags are identical which is what I would hope and expect...it copied the tag. However, other than converting is there a way to do this? The method for "copying" tags from the properties window does not do this fully. If I have a no tag file and a source, if I select all in the properties window (metadata) and "copy" it to the no tag file, when compared in mp3tag (extended tags) they are different.

Or do I have to "convert" from a 16bit_44.1kHz file to a 16bit_44.1kHz with the tag copy button checked. (Will it actually do a conversion or just copy the file - seems like a silly way to do this but if it works...)

tag copy

Reply #1
Will it actually do a conversion or just copy the file - seems like a silly way to do this but if it works...
Yes, it will actually convert the file.

Can you provide some more details so we can help you find a solution instead of a workaround? How do the copied tags differ from the original? Can you describe the steps to reproduce the issue?

tag copy

Reply #2
Hello, please try to use "Tools -> Paste fields" instead of "Paste".

tag copy

Reply #3
To expand on pocahboo's post, using Tools -> Paste fields will paste field text from the old file to the same field name in the new file, whereas using normal Paste will simply paste field text to the fields that are currently visible, and does not attempt to match field names.

Re: tag copy

Reply #4
Hello,
i just converted some of my flac tracks to original wav tracks from CD,
i need to fast copy all flac track tags to new wav track,
should i use "paste fields"?
if right, where should i find "copy fields" before paste them?

tx

Reply #5
fb2k can probably do it, but I'm not sure how as I normally use mp3tag.
Load all the flac files and sort by artist or filename or something..... however you can sort the wave files the same way.
Highlight all the flac files, right click and select "tag copy".
Load the wave files, make sure they're sorted the same way.... highlight them all, right click and paste tags.

For future reference (it mightn't effect you now), Mp3tag copies and pastes all fields, including a few that shouldn't be included.
That's ReplayGain info, and also the mp4/m4a annoyances.... iTunes and gapless playback info etc. Likewise when you paste you can say farewell to existing ReplayGain data, and for mp4/m4a any gapless playback info us overwirtten.

You can clean any problem fields after pasting if need be, but it'd be better if it was more clever in the first place. My complaining has so far fallen on deaf ears.
https://community.mp3tag.de/t/replaygain-data-and-copying-tags/17696
It's still better than having to highlight fields to copy them, or having to copy and past fields individually. MP3s in the screenshot, but it's the same for other file types.

Reply #6
should i use "paste fields"?
if right, where should i find "copy fields" before paste them?
Yes, you should use paste fields. To copy fields you need to open Properties of selected file(s), select all (CTRL+A), right click->Copy (or just CTRL+C). Like with mp3tag you can do this for multiple files at once, just be sure that wavs in playlist are sorted the same as flacs.
By the way, fb2k can automatically transfer tags from flac to wav during conversion - option "Transfer metadata (tags)" in section "Other" in converter's settings.