Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How do I fix M4A's (AAC's) for Sansa Clip Sport? (Read 10168 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I fix M4A's (AAC's) for Sansa Clip Sport?

So I have a Sansa Clip Sport that supposedly can play AAC files but when I put M4A's onto it, they just play for about 2 seconds and then skip or, they don't play at all. 
I have done some reading that says that the internal formate of those MP4's might not be standard.  Is there a way I can fix them so that they will play?  They play fine on my
computer in Foobar2000 and Audacious and DeadBeef. 

Thanks in advance. 

I did update the firmware recently too.
Be a false negative of yourself!

Reply #1
How long are they?  Many simple devices cannot play AAC files more than 5-10 minutes long.

Reply #2
How long are they?  Many simple devices cannot play AAC files more than 5-10 minutes long.

thanks for the reply
the tunes are a variety of lengths from 3 minutes to 6 minutes, pretty much average lengths for pop tunes.

Reply #3
Do you see this problem with all AAC files or only some of them?

Not sure if this helps and it’s a long time since I looked into this (or heard of this being a problem) but this may help if you only see this with some AAC/m4a files.

I remember that years ago there were some issues with some decoders reading the metadata of m4a files. While writing the metadata by non-Apple encoders was (I believe) compliant with the spec some manufacturers had been a bit lazy and only complied with that part of the spec that made Apple encoded m4a files play. At the time 99% of all AAC files were created by Apple encoders so few people would run into this problem but it was sloppy development by the manufacturers nonetheless. IIRC it was specifically the order of the ‘atoms’ in de m4a metadata that could throw off some players.

The first thing you could try is see what happens if you edit the metadata of these files with typical player such as Foobar. Overwrite the existing data and save it. Try editing it with a number of different players. If that doesn’t help, copy the metadata item by item to a text file and see if you can remove the tags all together. Then recreate them from scratch using your items in that text file.

If that doesn’t help you may need to look into tools such as AtomicParsley which can do further editing of the file metadata. You might be looking for the option to move the ‘moov’ atom to its right location. That requires a fair bit more technical skill though so save this for last.
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead

Reply #4
Do you see this problem with all AAC files or only some of them?

Not sure if this helps and it’s a long time since I looked into this (or heard of this being a problem) but this may help if you only see this with some AAC/m4a files.

I remember that years ago there were some issues with some decoders reading the metadata of m4a files. While writing the metadata by non-Apple encoders was (I believe) compliant with the spec some manufacturers had been a bit lazy and only complied with that part of the spec that made Apple encoded m4a files play. At the time 99% of all AAC files were created by Apple encoders so few people would run into this problem but it was sloppy development by the manufacturers nonetheless. IIRC it was specifically the order of the ‘atoms’ in de m4a metadata that could throw off some players.

The first thing you could try is see what happens if you edit the metadata of these files with typical player such as Foobar. Overwrite the existing data and save it. Try editing it with a number of different players. If that doesn’t help, copy the metadata item by item to a text file and see if you can remove the tags all together. Then recreate them from scratch using your items in that text file.

If that doesn’t help you may need to look into tools such as AtomicParsley which can do further editing of the file metadata. You might be looking for the option to move the ‘moov’ atom to its right location. That requires a fair bit more technical skill though so save this for last.

Thanks very much Maurits.  I get this problem so far with all AAC files, but all of the ones that I have are from the same source.  I will follow your advice and experiment with this.  What you say seems to resonate with/match with what some folks said on the Sansa support website.  I did try editing the tags in foobar2000 but I didn't yet try just deleting the tags.  Thanks again.

Reply #5
So I have a Sansa Clip Sport that supposedly can play AAC files but when I put M4A's onto it, they just play for about 2 seconds and then skip or, they don't play at all. 
I have done some reading that says that the internal formate of those MP4's might not be standard.  Is there a way I can fix them so that they will play?

Hi
I'm having m4a troubles with my Sansa Clip Jam.
I found they will play if I re-mux them with mp4creator Version 1.6.1d (It's inside the mp4muxer-0.9.3 package).

First de-mux with FFmpeg or whatever...
Code: [Select]
ffmpeg -i filename.m4a -c copy filename.aac

Then re-mux with mp4creator
mp4creator -create=filename.aac output.m4a

or
wine ./mp4creator -create=filename.aac output.m4a

Reply #6
P.S.
Keep the original m4a files safe somewhere.
The m4a files remuxed with mp4creator will have their metadata stripped.

Reply #7
Is the issue there with ffmpeg-created m4a files? If not:

ffmpeg -i filename.m4a -c copy filename.m4a_REMUXED.m4a

Make sure first that none of the originals have "_REMUXED" in the file name. Put it in a FOR loop.

Then I would do as follows:
- open everything in a tagging application
- separate out the ones that do not contain "_REMUXED"
- copy tags en bloc
- select the ones with "_REMUXED"
- paste tags
- open everything in fb2k, sort the originals and the remuxed separately by some tag, and run a bit-compare to be sure the right tags ended up in the right files.

Reply #8
- open everything in a tagging application

Since you're using foobar anyway, why not use it for copying the tags?

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title..._sets_of_tracks

You also might want to mention that foo_bitcompare does not come as standard.

https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_bitcompare

Reply #10
Is the issue there with ffmpeg-created m4a files?

Yes.
Look here ---> Trac ticket

Thanks!

Since you're using foobar anyway, why not use it for copying the tags?

How do I copy tags that are not already in the list of tag fields fb2k displays for an untagged file?

You also might want to mention that foo_bitcompare does not come as standard.

Oh ... who can live without? ;-)

Reply #11
How do I copy tags that are not already in the list of tag fields fb2k displays for an untagged file?

Eh? You copy tags from the tagged source and they will be created in the untagged destination when you Paste Fields.

Reply #12

Eh? You copy tags from the tagged source and they will be created in the untagged destination when you Paste Fields.

How do you get it to paste other tags than the following?

Artist Name :
Track Title :
Album Title :
Date :
Genre :
Composer :
Performer :
Album Artist :
Track Number :
Total Tracks :
Disc Number :
Total Discs :
Comment :

Reply #13
Someone else with more patience can answer because I give up.

Reply #14
You select all files - properties - select all fields fields - right click - copy. Then open properties of the untagged files (should be in same order) and right click in the empty area below comment - paste fields.
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #15
Btw, have you tried ffmpeg -i ... -vn -acodec copy out.mp4, and then just renaming that file to out.m4a?
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #16
You select all fields - copy. Then open properties of the untagged files (should be in same order) and right click in the empty area below comment - paste fields.

Oh. Thank you. I've been using Ctrl-v for years ...