Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I want to split an M4A audiobook into its chapters without re-encoding (Read 13978 times) previous topic - next topic

I want to split an M4A audiobook into its chapters without re-encoding

I have a large audio book file @64kbps which I want to split into chapters without degrading its quality. I'm looking for such a tool that can make direct cuts with touching the bitrate. For an alternative, I'm also thinking about splitting the file .mp3 but I'm not sure If that would be right thing to do for something @64kbps.

Reply #1
I'm also looking for a player that is able to show chapters information of .m4a file. Generally, I use Media Player Classic and Winamp for any type of media file but I'm not sure if it would be possible to have this capability in any one of them.

Reply #2
I would use ffmpeg for this task. Easy if you are on Linux, but there are also Windows builds available: http://ffmpeg.arrozcru.org/builds/

Then from the command line/prompt you could type for example:

ffmpeg -i input.mp3 -acodec copy -ss 60 -t 120 output.mp3

This copies 120 seconds of audio, starting after 60 seconds.

Good luck!

Reply #3
To losslessly add chapters to your MP4 files, try MP4Box or the associated GUI YAMB. At least YAMB should accept chapter files in the OGM chapter format.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #5
I have a large audio book file @64kbps which I want to split into chapters without degrading its quality. I'm looking for such a tool that can make direct cuts with touching the bitrate. For an alternative, I'm also thinking about splitting the file .mp3 but I'm not sure If that would be right thing to do for something @64kbps.

ffmpeg will do this.

I'm sorry, I don't know the exact command line but I can get you started:

ffmpeg -i INPUTFILE.m4a -acodec copy <SOMETHING GOES HERE> OUTPUTFILE.m4a

in the <SOMETHING GOES HERE> part you will need a flag to specify splitting the file at specific points. Google around and you'll find the missing piece. Hope that helps.

Reply #6
To losslessly add chapters to your MP4 files, try MP4Box or the associated GUI YAMB. At least YAMB should accept chapter files in the OGM chapter format.

I noticed there's a split option in GUI YAMB, will it be able to split without re-encoding? I have looked into the website but no such information is given.