Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Do you see a C-Clip? (Read 2442 times) previous topic - next topic

Do you see a C-Clip?

Greetings,

I recently acquired a vintage Zenith turntable. It seems to need some work done though, as the motor runs, and the platter spins, but only sometimes, and only for a few seconds. From what I've read, the first step to diagnosing issues is to remove the platter and peek under the hood. Well, I'm having trouble getting past that first step. Can someone confirm or contradict that they see a C-Clip in the attached photos? I've tried prying and pulling, but can't seem to get it off. And I don't want to apply too much force to an item that I'm not even certain is meant to come off.

Your expert advice would be most appreciated.

Ben J.

Re: Do you see a C-Clip?

Reply #1
I don't see it...    Do you see a groove for the missing clip?    Maybe there's something holding it from the under-side.  Can you get to the under-side?  

Or, try some oil or WD-40 on the shaft to see if you can wiggle it up.

...If that's one of those cheap record changers with a ceramic cartridge it's probably not worth repairing (or using) unless you just want a collector's item.

as the motor runs, and the platter spins, but only sometimes, and only for a few seconds.
It probably needs a new drive wheel, if you can find one and if you can get the platter off.  And, it could probably use some lubrication (not on the rubber drive wheel.  ;)There is a place that specializes in replacement drive wheels, or they can re-build yours.  

...Back when I was a kid, I used to put some dishwashing detergent on the rubber and after the detergent dried (partially) it would become gooey and it would get traction.    Of course, I'm not recommending that as a permanent solution but if the rubber is hard & slipping it's something you could play with as a possible temporary fix.

Oh, I forgot...  Sometimes sandpaper on the rubber "traction surface" helps too.   (If that works, it's better than the "stupid detergent trick".)    

Reply #2
Hey Doug,

Thanks for the quick reply. I do not see a groove for the missing clip, and I have trouble believing the previous, and only, owner of the player (my dad) ever took the clip off. But maybe it came off during one of it's moves? There isn't much access to the under-side, but I'll try some oil and some elbow grease and see if I can wiggle the platter off. From there, I'm sure I'll drown all of the parts in oil and ruin it, but at least I'll be able to say I got past the first step  :) . I'll take a look at the drive wheel also.

It is definitely a cheap one, but I was just trying to see if it could be easily fixed, mostly for sentimental reasons.  No biggie if I find it's not worth fixing.

Thanks again,
Ben J.

Reply #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I do not see a groove for the missing clip, and I have trouble believing the previous, and only, owner of the player (my dad) ever took the clip off
If there's no groove something else is holding it on...  Just to state the obvious.  

Does any of that rubber/plastic come off?  Maybe there's something hiding under there?

Sometimes you could pull the spindle out (sometimes so you could replace it with a single-play pin) but I don't know if that helps with removing the platter.

If nobody here can help, maybe you could send a note to that guy who sells the replacement wheels.    I've never done any business with him so I don't know how helpful he'll be, but I'll betcha' he knows how to do it!

Reply #4
Greetings,

I recently acquired a vintage Zenith turntable. It seems to need some work done though, as the motor runs, and the platter spins, but only sometimes, and only for a few seconds. From what I've read, the first step to diagnosing issues is to remove the platter and peek under the hood. Well, I'm having trouble getting past that first step. Can someone confirm or contradict that they see a C-Clip in the attached photos? I've tried prying and pulling, but can't seem to get it off. And I don't want to apply too much force to an item that I'm not even certain is meant to come off.

There are variations on using clips for retention that naturally conceal the clip. It is also passible that there are layers of hardened lubricant that are preventing easy release. I'd suggest using a good mechanic's cleaning solvent to wash away the hardened lubricant, and being a little bit braver about how hard you pull.

Reply #5
You should be able to remove the changer spindle by pulling up. If it won't come out it's likely corroded, which implies the platter also might be corroded onto the shaft. It appears to be lubricated though, so corrosion is unlikely unless you lubricated it to try and loosen it.
I assume you've tried getting your fingertips under opposite sides of the platter, wedged between the platter and base, and applying pressure, alternating slightly from side to side.
Have you removed the rubber mat to see if there's any clue under it? Sometimes there are holes in the metal platter which provide access to the underside.
Regards,
   Don Hills
"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

Reply #6
 LONG time since I worked on turntables. I think your 'clip' is imply a wire loop that snaps in to a groove at the top of the bearing cylinder. We need a better photo but I bet you'll find a gap in the wire loop that you can simply pry out with a small flat blade. Once removed he platter should lift off.

Clean off the debris with alcohol and a Q tip so we can really see what you have.

Reply #8
Yeah, I kinda felt like there probably was some sort of clip there since the platter was barely budging. But I didn't wanna get too aggressive and break something. I'll see if I can get a closer picture tonight.