Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: what are HTOA flac files? (Read 8471 times) previous topic - next topic

what are HTOA flac files?

When I take embedded flac files and extract the tracks, I usually end up with a file that looks like: artist - (HTOA).flac. My track format is: %artist% - %title%

Those HTOA flac files are around 22kB in size.  What are they?

Re: what are HTOA flac files?

Reply #1
Just a waste of disc space when they’re that small. ;)

The beginning of the first track doesn’t always start at 00:00:00. Cuetools will preserve any data from 00:00:00 up to the beginning of the first track even if it is just silence. Sometimes you might find actual content there which is why it is called Hidden Track One Audio (HTOA).

I think we have a wiki article on it. Search the wiki for the term and you should find out all you need to know. If you haven’t already seen it our wiki has a lot of good information and may save you from having to ask here.

Reply #2
Thanks for the response. I was looking through db.cuetools.net and ran across mention of it. I was coming back here to update my post, but you beat me to it. The result seems to be that they are useless and I will delete when I get them.

Reply #3
Dump them all into a media player and check the lengths. And if you are curious, scan them for peaks ... you will find out most are digital zero.

Reply #4
The result seems to be that they are useless and I will delete when I get them.
They are also a placeholder to preserve the original CD layout. Of course there are other ways to do that: pregap in CUE file, TOC file, TOC in extraction log, AccuraterRip metadata tags, CTDB metadata tags, CDTOC metadata tag.
See setting in CUETools to not write HTOA file.
http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools_Advanced_Settings:_CUETools#Gaps_handling
korth

Reply #5
Thanks. Since there are zero plans to recreate CDs, the HTOA and gaps aren't needed. The extracted file will be for listening only via media players.