Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Query last.fm, what to use instead of metadb_display_hook? (Read 11243 times) previous topic - next topic

Query last.fm, what to use instead of metadb_display_hook?

Hello,

I've made a plugin which allow to grab information about a band (such as bio, similar groups, ...) on last.fm database.

However, I made this plugin by creating metadb_display_hook evil extension  (I made it before its removal from the SDK), mainly for implementation ease

I would like to update my plugin with the new SDK, to make it public, according to foobar policy (no external factor in titleformating)
So I would like to have some advices about the way to refactor my plugin. I don't really want to implement a whole panel ui element just for a so little thing

thanks

Reply #1
How did you anticipate people would use this Last.fm data? What was your anticipated use case?

Reply #2
How did you anticipate people would use this Last.fm data? What was your anticipated use case?

the idea was to make a bit like amarok (wich is a linux audio player) who provide information from music-brains (such as related bands) and from wikipedia (page of the band)

here is some snapshots of what it looks like:

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9310/lfmhookxa7.png

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/9836/lfmhookjf0.png

And if nobody want to use my plug, I want to be at least able to update this plug for myself to use it with newer version version of foobar

Reply #3
Why not rethink this, and make the plugin store the info in tags instead of exposing it to title formatting? From there users can do with it what they want - Even show it in track displays.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #4
I'm very interested in using this plugin, because I loved this amarok feature and missed it very much in windows apps.

I have some ideas for such a component, too:

- get artist pics and maybe album art from last.fm
- make the similar artists clickable to add them to the playlist, if they are present in the media library.
- show similar artists, that are not in the library, in an other color.

Unfortunately I don't know how to replace the metadb_display_hook. Hope, you'll find a solution soon!

The idea to store the information directly into ID3 tags is not so great, I think. For the biography and tags it may be a good place, but I think similar artists don't have to be in the file itself. Storing all the information in an XML-file, maybe per album or artist would be nice!

Reply #5
The idea to store the information directly into ID3 tags is not so great, I think. For the biography and tags it may be a good place, but I think similar artists don't have to be in the file itself.

I follow you. However, with this info inside the tags, opens up for better autoplaylist potential.

Now we're at scraping last.fm, I took a look at the API - Actually I would very much like almost any track-related information stored into my tags - ESPECIALLY the genre-tags and number of plays. With this info, I could better get a "hotness" (/popularity) of a track and easier create autoplaylists with pop-songs from my wide collection.
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #6
I don't really like the idea of storing a huge quantity of informations in tags too, moreover this imply to the user to retag his whole library to get thoses informations, thus to modify every files in the library. However I admit, I didn't have in mind the autoplaylist aspect (my idea was to do like their software does, just giving you a presentation of the track/band when you are playing)

Actually I don't use the web service documented on audioscrobler.net, but their XML-RPC interface (like their software does)

data I can access now are:
band :
  biography
  picture of the band
  top Fans (not really interesting in foobar context)
  artist genre tags
  similar artists
  number of listeners
  number of play
  and some links to diferents last.fm pages about the band

My current version only grab informations about the band.

but some informations are available about the track (I can add these informations easily):
  album
  artist
  title
  genre tags
  album cover list
  album release date
  album label
  album tracks number
  links to buy the track or the album (mostly on amazon)
  link to last.fm internal pages

there is no information about track number of play in this service, sorry (perhaps I can query webservices too in a future version)

downloading cover or band picture shall be possible since I can have links to the ones used by lastfm

I think I will looking at creating a column ui panel, even if this is big amount of work compared to the time needed to create this plug (perhaps a DefaultUI pannel if they release it in SDK),

execpt if someone found a miracle solution

Reply #7
Moderation: Removed full quote of previous post.

Have you completed this component? I?ve interest.

Reply #8
This kind of component has lot of potential!

I'm also interested.

ps: another nice use of last.fm data would be the ability to fetch our playcounts to tags so they could be imported with the foobar2000 playback statistics component!

Reply #9
Moderation: Removed full quote of previous post.

Have you completed this component? I?ve interest.

Sorry but, no. I barely use windows for a while (and foobar by extension), so I didn't take the time to complete this plugin. But, I will try to finish it soon. In the worst case, I'll provide my source to whoever wants to do it.

Reply #10
another nice use of last.fm data would be the ability to fetch our playcounts to tags so they could be imported with the foobar2000 playback statistics component!

I'm very want this feature too. Can it be so diificult make this plugin?

Reply #11
I'd kill someone for the ability to grab my total play counts from last.fm (maybe even a switch to get 3, 6, 12 months of counts)

The idea of having artist art, and bio sounds neat too; I'm always going to last.fm myself and grabbing the info and storing it in comment tags.

Reply #12
I'd kill someone for the ability to grab my total play counts from last.fm (maybe even a switch to get 3, 6, 12 months of counts)
It scares that you would end a human life for something as unnecessary as this, if only in words. Perhaps you should consider your words more carefully in the future - or seek help.

Reply #13
@Foosion: http://xkcd.com/233/

As for a Last.fm plugin? I want my statistics, some of which which foo_dop can't sync at the moment; then there's playbacks on different computers and similar IMTIREDANDSHOULDDGOTOBEDMEH stuff. *PokesSpotify*

Reply #14
This feature you are creating a plugin for can also be created with Samurize. If you bridge foobar and samurize (through foo_now_playing, or ampi.dll, so samurize can read foobar's output) you can do stuff like this in a sidebar:

video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGIPrtIBQuI
picture:
http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/8375/aveclyriquehp5.png

Reply #15
It scares that you would end a human life for something as unnecessary as this, if only in words. Perhaps you should consider your words more carefully in the future - or seek help.

It scares that you would have taken a clear obscene expression of anticipation so seriously.

I know there is people that murder in the world, but taking something as above so serious then providing me with a trendy "seek help" option is very insulting; even if it was a witty way of telling me that I have broken the rules. Perhaps you should take your own advice.

This feature you are creating a plugin for can also be created with Samurize. If you bridge foobar and samurize (through foo_now_playing, or ampi.dll, so samurize can read foobar's output) you can do stuff like this in a sidebar:

I tried this awhile back but I had problems displaying rss feeds; I wouldn't even have the slightest idea how to configure them to change depending on what track is selected from foobar2000 (I got as far as displaying some visualizations and ID3 information)

Maybe now I can find a tutorial.

Reply #16
Well that's the trick to my config.

foobar can create dynamic url's trough titleformatting with http://www.last.fm/music/$replace(%artist%, ,+). If you pass this to samurize (through a textfile or the samurize plugin for mediaplayers) and use the pagescraperplugin you have dynamic info from that website @ your hands.

Reply #17
starchaos: I'm sorry if I insulted you. I am currently more sensitive to what people say without thinking about it. This applies especially to figures of speech.

Nemphael: http://xkcd.com/440/

Reply #18
As I've come to think it, how about making a plugin which uses Last.fm's fingerprinting service too? They have an application from which you can retrieve some information through XML sheets. Might prove useful for unknown tracks - especially seeing how it's not already done by anyone else (AFAIK. Please, prove me wrong(, though. But for Last.fm's service.).).).

@Foosion: http://xkcd.com/369/
Foobar has yet to return any results (As far as we know?).

Reply #19
starchaos: I'm sorry if I insulted you. I am currently more sensitive to what people say without thinking about it. This applies especially to figures of speech.

It's not a problem I figured it was something. I wasn't as mad as it came out.

--

I tried the samurize thing again and got it working but unfortunatly I'm on a slower computer now (500Mhz, 190mb sdram, onboard everything else) so I'm going have to wait until I get the video card on my good computer fixed to have the eye candy.

Is it even possible to get every playcount from a last.fm profile? That fingerprinting thing sounds really great too.