Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Soft rock is more than I though it was (Read 2250 times) previous topic - next topic

Soft rock is more than I though it was

Phoebe Snow.

Phoebe Snow by Phoebe Snow. At first, I'm thinking whoever wrote the Wikipedia article didn't listen to the album. It's some weird folk-jazz-blues hybrid, as far as I can tell. But it's not soft rock. It's not Air Supply, Little River Band, or Ambrosia. If it was produced today, I'd categorize it as Indie and call it a day.

Then Carol King came to mind. Got to hang out with her on the set of Russkies (God-awful 80's trash) as she played piano and sang a couple tunes. Such a down-to-earth, lovely person! Phoebe Snow sounds a LOT like Carol King on some of these tracks. Everyone considers Carol King as soft rock. Case closed.

Still, soft rock seems terribly broad as a genre, or people generally attribute the label generously. Or, I don't know enough music to render an informed or worthwhile judgment. I'd think Carol King more of a pop artist than a rock artist, leaving the soft rock label for those who don't rock as hard as Free, Aerosmith, or even the Eagles.

Wikipedia be damned; I'm filing this one in my "Classic Pop" folder.

Re: Soft rock is more than I though it was

Reply #1
Don't knock the Yacht Rock. If it gives you pleasure ad causes nobody pain, it is good.

Reply #2
"Yacht Rock?" Never heard that before. But I do love me some Christopher Cross!  :))

Reply #3
BBC4 did a 2-part documentary on Yacht Rock last year, and mighty fine it was too.

Reply #4
Is Duran Duran considered Yacht Rock? 🤔

https://youtu.be/nTizYn3-QN0
EZ CD Audio Converter / FLAC or WavPack