Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iTunes-LAME (Read 41724 times) previous topic - next topic

iTunes-LAME

Does anyone remember the application that plugged into iTunes which allowed iTunes to use LAME as its MP3 encoder? I think it was developed by Blacktree. It no longer worked after several iTunes version upgrades. I was wondering if it is still out there and has been updated to work with the newest version of iTunes? Also, does it use LAME 3.97 or 3.98? Sure there are plenty of applications to make LAME MP3s but I sure miss the convenience of using iTunes to convert my Apple Lossless on the fly to MP3 for my iPod when I'm in a time crunch. 

Thanks!

iTunes-LAME

Reply #1
I'm not sure about this app/hack/plugin you are asking about, but I use the foo_dop (for foobar2000) to manage my iPod. I don't use ALAC, but I think there is a decoder plugin available, and foo_dop can convert files on the fly as they are sent to your iPod, using whatever encoder and settings you please.

If you have a dual or quad core CPU you can set it to encode multiple files concurrently, which makes the conversion about twice (or 4x for quad core) as fast as you would get with iTunes, assuming the iTunes hack-thing only runs 1 instance of LAME at a time.

iTunes-LAME

Reply #2
The iTunes-Lame plug-in is still available.  It only works for Mac OS X though and not Windows.  It was updated quite a bit of time ago to use the final build of Lame 3.97.  I can give you a link but you need to let me know if you are using Mac OS X or Windows as it absolutely, positively won't work for Windows and there aren't any iTunes-Lame solutions for Windows.

Now, if you are using Windows, there are two applications that you can use to convert your Apple lossless files using the Lame mp3 encoder.  I don't like using foobar2000 to manage my iPod and I can't use it to manage my iPod touch so I am stuck using iTunes if I want to sync all content (photos, videos, music, and apps/games) to both my iPods.  Anyway, both foobar2000 and dBpowerAMP can encode Apple lossless (ALAC) files using the Lame mp3 encoder.  dBpowerAMP uses Lame 3.97 but can use Lame 3.98 if you use the CLI option.  foobar2000 can use any version of Lame including 3.98.

There is a simply ALAC plug-in for foobar2000 and I have used it a countless number of times to convert ALAC files (about 12,000 in all) using Lame 3.98 without any problems.  My only issue is that foobar2000 doesn't preserve the embedded album art when converting.  I have to go back and re-embed the album art but that takes about 30 minutes (since I already have the sources) even for 12,000 files.

So let us know if you are using Windows or Mac OS X.  Since you didn't mention anything, I just assume you are using Windows as that is what the majority of people use.

iTunes-LAME

Reply #3
I keep reading around on the internet about updating iTunes-Lame to utilize the latest build of LAME, but I don't understand what exactly to do. Can someone please explain it?

I've read to right click iTunes-LAME, select "show package contents" and add the 3.98 file, but that doesn't work. Is there something specific I am supposed to be replacing?

Thank you in advance for any help. I like using iTunes and iTunes-LAME, but would like to take advantage of the latest encoding revision.

iTunes-LAME

Reply #4
I use Mac OS X (10.4.11), and I also would be glad of news and instructions on iTunes-LAME.

I'm alternatively/also looking forward to the 128 listening test, which will tell us how the iTunes MP3 encoder is these days.

iTunes-LAME

Reply #5
Try iTunes Lame 2.09 with Lame 3.98
I just replaced the included LAME executable with LAME 3.98. The PPC version works without problems, the x86 version is untested.
Just start the tool, put in the disk you want to rip, enter in the encoding options (like -V 0) and press the import button. It then uses iTunes for getting the tags and ripping the CD. The lame encoded tracks are automatically added to the itunes library.
WavPack 4.50.1 -hhx6 | LAME 3.98.2 -V 0

iTunes-LAME

Reply #6
So let us know if you are using Windows or Mac OS X.  Since you didn't mention anything, I just assume you are using Windows as that is what the majority of people use.

I use MAC OS X

iTunes-LAME

Reply #7
Try iTunes Lame 2.09 with Lame 3.98
I just replaced the included LAME executable with LAME 3.98. The PPC version works without problems, the x86 version is untested.
Just start the tool, put in the disk you want to rip, enter in the encoding options (like -V 0) and press the import button. It then uses iTunes for getting the tags and ripping the CD. The lame encoded tracks are automatically added to the itunes library.

I replaced my other version with the PPC version from your link. It's still telling me 3.97 though. (I have checked "Put LAME version in comment".)
Is it still using the latest revision, only the program needs to be adjusted somewhere else?

Incase the information's needed, I'm running OS 10.4.11 on a Powerbook G4 1GHz.

iTunes-LAME

Reply #8
Press the about button, it then shows you the LAME version it is using.

Edit: Oh wait, I found a serious bug! It's not using the supplied LAME in the ./Contents/Resources path, instead it uses /usr/local/bin/lame or /sw/bin/lame
The easiest would be to copy the LAME executable from the Resources path to /usr/local/bin/lame

I'll see if I can hack it to use the supplied LAME

Edit 2: With a little work with a hex editor it now uses the supplied 3.98 even if 3.97 is installed in /usr/local/bin/lame. Works fine now on my iMac G5 2.0 with 10.4.11
Please try: Updated Version

iTunes-LAME

Reply #9
@vpa

Thank you very much for that. It took a little while for me to hunt down the instructions and remember how to use iTunes LAME again, but it's going now on my iMac x86.

If anyone has any problems, I'll see if I can recollect all the places I made mistakes, and post them.

iTunes-LAME

Reply #10
vpa, thanks so much for posting that download. Works great!
Files come out fine. Incase you want some other feedback, which I doubt you'll be able to fix since it isn't your program, just thought you should know:
-progress bar doesn't work properly any longer. As it crawls across, it also fully jumps inbetween.
-I can't read the "remaining" time anymore because it's no longer centered, but has been moved over to the right where half that information is cut off.

Otherwise, it seems to work exactly like it always did.
Once again, thanks so much.

iTunes-LAME

Reply #11
Well, I've got a version where I made the encoding window bigger and where the remaining time is now always readable. Still it got some problems:
- The remaining time still jumps around
- The progress bar is still jumps back and forth
- The window is bigger (I have to check if it still fits on lower screen resolutions)
- The window design got a bit messed up
- It still hangs sometimes when getting the CD information

I have to fiddle a bit more with the NIB Editor to make it nice looking again. 
Sadly I can't fix the other bugs without the source code.

iTunes-LAME

Reply #13
Thanks Robert, that's the link to the executable, but because of you I've found the SVN access. This will hopefully enable me to fix the remaining bugs and maybe add some more features 
Meanwhile I've hacked 2.0.9 (34) a bit more:
- The graphics are nice looking again and I hopefully don't have to fear anymore to be beaten up by the program author because I messed up his great tool 
- I fixed a few graphical design mistakes
- It seems it doesn't hang anymore if the CD is already ripped
- I've added a german localised user interface (english localisation is still present)

Known bugs:
- Remaining Time still jumps around
- Progressbar still jumps sometimes to 100% just to jump back to the real state
- Some strings aren't localised (should only affect people with german localised user interface)

But that bugs should be fixable with access to the SVN.

To Do:
- Maybe add cdparanoia as alternative ripping tool
- Maybe add Helix MP3 as speed MP3 encoder
- Localise it to more languages (I need help with this)
- Update the LAME settings help to 3.98 :
Code: [Select]
Encoding Options Help

For the most part, the recommended setting for getting high quality MP3s from LAME is --alt-preset standard, but you can mix and match from a huge number of other options. The encoding options are sent directly to LAME, and can be a little cryptic at first. Essentially, you type as many options as you like, with spaces in between them.

The equivalents for the iTunes MP3 settings are:

Good Quality: -b 128
High Quality: -b 160
Higher Quality: -b 192

For variable bit rate:

Lowest: -v -V 9
Low: -v -V 6
Medium: -v -V 4
High: -v -V 2
Highest: -v -V 0

You can combine the Variable Bit Rate and the Constant Bit Rate (e.g. -b 160) to specify a guaranteed minimum.

Adding a -h improves the quality of the encoding, but makes it take longer.

Putting it all together, if you wanted a well encoded, Medium-quality VBR file with a minimum bit rate of 128, you could use these as your encoding options:

-v -V 4 -b 128 -h

In addition to the standard options, LAME includes a number of presets:

Very High Quality: --alt-preset standard
Even Higher Quality: --alt-preset extreme
Highest Possible Quality:--alt-preset insane

iTunes-LAME implements a few extra options:
--vcomment will add version and encoding options information to empty comments fields.
--multi will run multiple encoders at once, enabled automatically on a dual-processor machine.
--delete-source will delete the source file if it is successfully encoded.The file is immediately removed, so use this with an appropriate amount of caution.

An exhaustive list of the options, pulled straight from LAME, is listed below. Avoid the Verbosity and ID3 tag sections, as display and tagging is all handled automatically.

Good luck, and happy encoding...
Maybe someone can help me with that.

Anyway, here is the last hack: iTunes LAME 2.0.9 (34) - Hack 3

iTunes-LAME

Reply #14
does itunes-lame still work with the last itunes version (itunes 8)?

I want to be  sure before updating...
thanks

iTunes-LAME

Reply #15
Yes, it still works with iTunes 8.0

iTunes-LAME

Reply #16
thanks

iTunes-LAME

Reply #17
Sometimes while ripping you will get a long pause after the first track, then a spinning beachball for about 40 sec...then, the second track starts ripping, same thing, then track 2 is gone! But, then continues to track 3 and so on... But, it's only done that 3 times while ripping about 120 CD's. Other than that,  the "Time Remaining: x.xx" line being VERY far to the right thing; this version works great! I too, get the jumping progress bar...just reporting my findings.. 

Brett

Oh, I'm using iTunes 8.0.1 (11).......

iTunes-LAME

Reply #18
I'm using the version referenced in post #14 (x86 version), and under Get Info and Comments it shows the Lame version as 3.97.

I have Mac OS X 10.4.11, iTunes 8.0.1 (11).

I just unzipped the download, and put the x86 version in the Applications folder. Have I omitted some crucial step?

Thanks in advance for any help.

iTunes-LAME

Reply #19
Hmmm... that's weird. The app is exactly the same for PPC and x86, the only difference is the included LAME command line tool. I'm having a look at the weekend to figure out what went wrong.

iTunes-LAME

Reply #20
@vpa -- that's very kind of you. I actually noticed it when I first downloaded a version (the second), but I checked by downloading the third version, and searching and destroying all other versions of Lame on my hard drive.

On the iTunes-LAME "About" screen, I see:

=============

iTunes-LAME Encoder
LAME v3.97

(Button) L.A.M.E. Website

(Button) Blacktree Website

(Button) Blacktree Forums

iTunes-LAME v2.0.9 (34)
©2007 Blacktree, Inc.                (Button) OK

=================

I have to go out now (start of day at 175 East), but I'll have a further investigation this afternoon to see if I'm doing anything silly.

Many thanks for your help.

iTunes-LAME

Reply #21
Further to my problem with iTunes-LAME:

The file I download from RapidShare is iTunes_Lame_2.09_-_3.98_3.zip

When I expand it, I get two app files. The Intel file is iTunes-LAME-x86.app, which has a Date Created / Date Modified of 26-10-07 (on my RoW date format machine), with a version no. 2.0.9

Is this a clue?

Michael

really grateful for any help

iTunes-LAME

Reply #22
Ok, after a long time another little update:
The included LAME has been updated to 3.98.2 for both PPC and x86. I've also included a 3.99 a1 Version for PPC (just for easier testing the alpha).
Sadly that's all I could do at the moment, the Update from Tiger to Leopard messed up a lot of things and compiling ain't working anymore most of the time as it should.  I'll still try to improve iTunes Lame more when I fixed everything.

Here's the link: iTunes LAME 3.98.2

iTunes-LAME

Reply #23
Yabba dabba doo 

It works. Thank you so much.

For anyone else having difficulty, it took me a while to get it working, and I'm not sure exactly what I did, but I had to purge every other instance of iTunes-LAME from my disk, and manually put a new alias for the script into the iTunes folder in the Library. (All the sort of stuff you're not supposed to have to do with a Mac. But maybe I fouled something up, earlier).

Anyway, once more thanks. My cat and your cats seem to be looking at each other.

iTunes-LAME

Reply #24
Hehe, yes it looks like that 
I'm glad it's working now for you too.