Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audible books on Rockboxed Sansa ClipZip (Read 2938 times) previous topic - next topic

Audible books on Rockboxed Sansa ClipZip

This seems more likely software than hardware but what do I know.

For the first time ever I installed AudibleManager, got an Audible book, had AudibleManger load it onto my Rockboxed Sansa ClipZip.
AudibleManager calls it Sansa Rockbox SD card but there is no add-in card, just main memory.
Neither Rockbox or Sansa can see the Audible book but Windows Explorer does.
Any suggestions?

This is the more detailed version.
I set up a Win10 computer.
I downloaded and installed AudibleManager.
I download an audiobook and activated the computer. The book plays in AudibleManager.
I plugged in a Rockboxed Sansa ClipZip which I've been using for years.
The program would not respond when asked to accept the player.

I contacted Audible. Eventually they wanted to do remote assistance to fix AudibleManager.
They activated the Sansa.
They added the book to the Sansa.
Windows exploder showed the book in the Audible Folder and the player's free space reflected the hit of adding the book.

I ejected and unplugged the Sansa to test it. I could not get by the Rockbox initial load flash screen. I could not turn the player off.
I did a hardware reset to turn it off but it just repeated when turned back on.
I booted to the Sansa interface where everything was totally weird but at least it turned on, navigated, and turned off.
Windows explorer was rather weird. It did not show Rockbox, only "internal memory" but the Audible book was there in the Audible folder.

I did a Sansa firmware update followed by a Rockbox update.
At first it again froze on the Rockbox boot up but after turning off once seems to be normal.
The Sansa interface (which I never use) looks normal too.
Everything shows up in Windows Explorer but the Audible book is still not seen in Rockbox or Sansa.

I deleted the Audible book.
I removed the device from AudibleManager.
I closed AudibleManager and unplugged the Sansa.
I again added the Sansa to Audible Manager. It again insists it is a Rockbox SD card.
AudibleManager copied the book to the Sansa.
Rockbox seems to work normally but with no Audible book. Opening the Audible folder just displays the word Audible.

Re: Audible books on Rockboxed Sansa ClipZip

Reply #1
I have a folder AUDIOBOOKS in the Sansa clip zip's own internal memory with quite a lot of audiobooks. Works fine.

Reply #2
I've never used audible, but since its DRM you may need to reboot into the sandisk firmware, switch to MTP mode, then activate the player. Not sure if its possible in MSC mode, since usually DRM involves the devices clock and that can be accessed in MTP. DRM files will obviously not play in rockbox, but once booted into the sandisk firmware they should work.

Reply #3
I have a folder AUDIOBOOKS in the Sansa clip zip's own internal memory with quite a lot of audiobooks. Works fine.
I suspect you have only DRM material as plain mp3 using normal tags won't play in sequence if one just goes to the Audiobook folder, selects a book, and attempts to play it. I've never had any DRM material but I've created many mp3 audiobooks from cassettee and CD. One has to jump through a few hoops to get them to play properly. I found out Sansa technical support knew nothing about this but it is the same on four different Sansa models I played with.
DRM files will obviously not play in rockbox
No one can play Audible files via any Rockboxed player?
If so, the Audible technical staff is obviously unaware of this. I spent two hours with them in chat mode trying to get things to work on my player.

I guess I can try on my Sansa Clip+ (no Rockbox) which I did not want to use for this. Switching the ClipZip between interfaces does not appeal to me, it is too much bother.

Reply #4
DRM files will obviously not play in rockbox
No one can play Audible files via any Rockboxed player?

Not in rockbox.  We don't have a decoder, and we can't write one without knowing how their DRM system works, which we don't really want to be involved with for legal reasons.  You need to use the stock firmware, which has the approved decoder and DRM keys. 

If so, the Audible technical staff is obviously unaware of this.

The people at their call center probably do not know that custom firmware is even possible.  They're just reading from a simple support script.   

Reply #5
I replaced the Sansa ClipZip with the Sansa Clip+, which has no Rockbox. It seems to work properly. As the book seems to be in one large file, there probably isn't a possibility of parts playing out of sequence.