Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: another kernel streaming thread... (Read 2853 times) previous topic - next topic

another kernel streaming thread...

When I have say 2000+ songs loaded in the playlist and random song selected, I am experincing slow downs, hang-ups, and complete system freezes forcing a reboot. This is with Kernel streaming enabled, and usually when I am jumping songs pretty rapidly. Sometimes it will take 5-10 seconds to switch to the next song, lock up, or work normally. I'm guessing this is strictly too many songs loaded in the playlist for whatever algorithim the random select uses (I wish I could remember this Big-O notation stuff i learned).

Anyway this is with XP Pro service pack 1. Beta 41. P4 @3.5ghz.

Reply #1
When I have say 2000+ songs loaded in the playlist and random song selected, I am experincing slow downs, hang-ups, and complete system freezes forcing a reboot. This is with Kernel streaming enabled, and usually when I am jumping songs pretty rapidly. Sometimes it will take 5-10 seconds to switch to the next song, lock up, or work normally. I'm guessing this is strictly too many songs loaded in the playlist for whatever algorithim the random select uses (I wish I could remember this Big-O notation stuff i learned).

I guess best workaround for this "issue" would be putting a warning about potential problems with kernel streaming on every song start. Please read the notice on kernel streaming config page before reporting "bugs", thank you.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #2

I guess best workaround for this "issue" would be putting a warning about potential problems with kernel streaming on every song start. Please read the notice on kernel streaming config page before reporting "bugs", thank you.

Another way to "fix" the bug: Just popup 10 dialog boxes that ask if you are really really really really really sure you want to use kernel streaming and put the warning about using it in each one...  And randomize the placement of the Yes button so they can't just click in the same place on each box to get rid of them before looking at them...

Reply #3
no, not a good idea because there are some people, like me, that use kernel streaming with ABSOLUTELY no problems, so making it inconvienient for us people that use it with no problems just to protect people who might have a problem is not a good idea, the standard 1 time warning is good enough although there probably should be a time delay before you can click off the kernel streaming 1 time warning.
-Andy

Reply #4
no, not a good idea because there are some people [...]

This was meant as a joke, i.e. use it but don't complain if you have problems using it.

way this is with XP Pro service pack 1. Beta 41. P4 @3.5ghz.

Hmm, are you overclocking you poor CPU per chance... If so, this might be your problem rather than anything else. Anyways check if you get the same behaviour without KS if so the problem is most likely your puter (check with prime95).

Either way, I'm using KS here with 0 problems and playlists as long as yours with no slowdowns.

Reply #5
P4 @3.5ghz.

What FSB is that? Could be something related to PCI divider.

Reply #6
have some issues with my revo in direct sound, but Kernel Streaming works excellent for me.

I think Kernel Streaming is essential in fb2k. With a non AC97 sound card, through digital output you can value its great decoder free of dithers. It marks the difference with the rest.

I find Kernel Streaming really useful if you don´t want to hear other sounds. So, when fb2k is playing, applications can´t use digital out.