Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: High end vs low end cd players and amplifiers (Read 8691 times) previous topic - next topic

High end vs low end cd players and amplifiers

Interesting blind test between low end and high end hifi :

http://www.matrixhifi.com/contenedor_ppec_eng.htm

Roughly 1/3 of the listeners prefered the high end, 1/3 prefered the low end, and 1/3 didn't hear any difference.

Reply #1
As the proud owner of multiple items of Sony and Behringer gear, I thank you for this fine news. 

Interesting blind test between low end and high end hifi :

http://www.matrixhifi.com/contenedor_ppec_eng.htm

Roughly 1/3 of the listeners prefered the high end, 1/3 prefered the low end, and 1/3 didn't hear any difference.

Reply #2
Since they used the same ATC speakers to listen to both the "cheap" and the high-end set, we could conclude that the speakers weren't good enough to let the high-end components shine, couldn't we?

Reply #3
Since they used the same ATC speakers to listen to both the "cheap" and the high-end set, we could conclude that the speakers weren't good enough to let the high-end components shine, couldn't we?

Since they were only asked to identify one system a third of them can come away thinking that they were able to identify the high-end components.

Also, it would appear that at least 2/3 of them could tell the difference between the two systems, regardless of the speakers. 

Reply #4
Also, it would appear that at least 2/3 of them could tell the difference between the two systems, regardless of the speakers.

If I understand the methods correctly, all listeners only voted once. So the test doesn't say that anyone could hear the difference. It's just that 2/3 felt they could.

If we interpret the data as a whole (as if one person listened 38 times), the outcome would be that the systems were indistinguishable, since the votes are rather evenly spread.

Something else: that Behringer amp looks like a nice buy! I looked it up, it's about 240 euro.
And thanks for the link, Pio2001!

Reply #5

If I understand the methods correctly, all listeners only voted once. So the test doesn't say that anyone could hear the difference. It's just that 2/3 felt they could.

If we interpret the data as a whole (as if one person listened 38 times), the outcome would be that the systems were indistinguishable, since the votes are rather evenly spread.

You cannot combine the results of 38 different people as if it were one person casting 38 votes!

The testers knew system A was system A and system B was system B.  They were allowed to go back an forth as many times as they liked with whatever music they wanted.  IOW, this test wasn't set up to see if they could tell the difference between the two.  This doesn't mean that they couldn't nor does it mean that they could.

I guess they could have been asked whether they could tell the difference, but would they give an honest answer?  And if they gave an honest answer that they could, how are you to know if they really did hear a difference or were they just fooling themselves?  What about the one third that did not answer, does this mean that they couldn't tell the difference?  I don't think so at all.

Since they were only allowed to cast one vote each you have no way of knowing whether they guessed or not.  50% on 12 tries is a totally different thing than 50% on one try and each participant was only allowed one try.

Reply #6
I believe the Behringer A500 amp received an extremely favorable write-up in The Audio Critic (an objectivist web-based audio magazine) recently.  Apparently it is no slouch by any measure.  Looks kinda cool too.  There's been a good deal of discussion about it over at the forums at audioholics.

Something else: that Behringer amp looks like a nice buy! I looked it up, it's about 240 euro.
And thanks for the link, Pio2001!

Reply #7
You cannot combine the results of 38 different people as if it were one person casting 38 votes!

You're absolutely right, my conclusion was too strong. The test doesn't show that the systems were indistinguishable, since, as you say, maybe nobody guessed. Rather it suggests that there's no quality difference between the two systems (if quality is measured through preference).

edit: removed nonsense

Reply #8
Quite a result considering the price tags were $700 versus $12,000.

I am not a cable nut, but still I am somewhat relieved to see that junky-looking 15-foot RCA cable in the "cheap" system, messily wound multiple times around the top of a chair, doin' just fine.  If you saw the wiring in the back of my systems, you would understand that this is very heart-warming for me. 

You're absolutely right, my conclusion was too strong. The test doesn't show that the systems were indistinguishable, since, as you say, maybe nobody guessed. Rather it suggests that there's no quality difference between the two systems (if quality is measured through preference).

edit: removed nonsense