Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Questions about offset and overreading (Read 2065 times) previous topic - next topic

Questions about offset and overreading

I've been using EAC to rip my CD collection and when I first configured AccurateRip it came up with an offset of +102, which I've been using for about 200 discs.  I was reading up about overreading the lead-in/lead-out and decided to test my drive, which apparently dose overread the lead-in, but with the 2 discs I tested I got one offset in the +2000s and one in the +3000s.  So, question 1, should I be worried that I've been ripping a bunch of CDs with the wrong offset?  And question 2, are there any situations where I'm losing audio data with the positive offset and the inability to overread the lead-out?

Re: Questions about offset and overreading

Reply #1
If read sample offset correction is positive and your drive cannot overread into Lead-Out then the 'Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out' setting should be disabled.
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_Lossless_Backup#Drive_Options
Overread Lead-In and Lead-Out : Press the button that says "Detect read sample offset correction". Enable this setting if it says your drive can overread from both the Lead-In and Lead-Out or if it says Lead-Out and your offset correction is positive or if it says Lead-In and your offset correction is negative. Otherwise disable it.

1. Are you sure your tests (whatever they were) aren't showing alternate pressing offsets?
2. http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_Lossless_Backup#EAC_Options
Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Checked
The last 102 samples of the last track will be replaced with silence when your drive cannot overread into Lead-Out. This tiny fraction of a second is likely inaudible or contains silence anyway.
korth