Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How Online Music Vendors Operate (Read 2674 times) previous topic - next topic

How Online Music Vendors Operate

Could someone explain to me how online music vendors (like Amazon and 7Digital work)?

I imagine that all the different labels send 7Digital their releases, ... do they send these as CDs/high quality audio and then 7Digital rip/transcodes into the 320kbps MP3s that the consumer downloads? Or do you think that they are just sent in this format in the first place?

What got me into thinking this is I want to download the track Oxia-Domino. And say i search it on 7Digital I'm then presented with loads and loads of albums that contain said track. Am i best always going with the original album that the track was released on? Or does it not matter if I say buy it from a compilation album (one such is 'The Electronic Music Anthology : Techno')

Cheers!

Re: How Online Music Vendors Operate

Reply #1
Frequently the label just sends the compressed track. That's why on Amazon the codecs and settings used vary so widely.