Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: In Ear Cheap Headphones that tick all these boxes... Recommendations please (Read 5429 times) previous topic - next topic

In Ear Cheap Headphones that tick all these boxes... Recommendations please

Hi all

Sorry for the Lo-Fi el cheapo post! I reserve my decent headphone listening to my music room, but I sometimes listen to my iPod when on the go...

So I'm looking for a cheap pair of in ear headphones. Here's the criteria:

- Comfort. So will preferably have changeable ear pieces or some other method of getting a good fit.
- Price. Let's say around £15. The cheaper the better, but also happy to go a bit more if it means getting a lot more for my money.
- Cable noise. Some of the cheap headphone I've had in the past have noisy wires/cables. Any time they're touched or hit your body, etc it can be heard. Drives me mad!
- In-line controls for the iPod. Play/Pause, Next Track are the most important for me. Anything else is a bonus. I could live without controls though so will consider models that don't have them.

I had a couple of pairs of Ultimate Ear 200vi and liked them, but they didn't last long at all. So something that is well built and will last for more that a few outings would be good too!

Many thanks :)

Re: In Ear Cheap Headphones that tick all these boxes... Recommendations please

Reply #1
We've been talking more or less about the same subject within this quite recent thread.

Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #2
Except £15 is a lot less than $50 :) Well built and will last along with all those other things don't come for £15.

Reply #3
I've seen that the Etymotic EK5 measures incredibly well for the price, and is light, and, well, Etymotic...

Check the measurement at innerfidelity.

Can't comment on subjective sound, didn't hear them, but plan on getting one to examine them.

Reply #4
I've seen that the Etymotic EK5 measures incredibly well for the price, and is light, and, well, Etymotic...

Check the measurement at innerfidelity.

Can't comment on subjective sound, didn't hear them, but plan on getting one to examine them.

Hi Ardacer. 

When I google Etymotic EK5 all that seems to come up is headphones for kids...  Are they the ones?  Or is it something else that is not easy to find?  Does anyone have a link to a pair? 

Cheers

EDIT:  is it these ones:

http://etymoticdirect.co.uk/etymotic-ek5

Reply #5
Yes. Don't be fooled by the "for kids".

Google a bit about them, I was very surprised.

If you can read Tyll's measurements, it can be seen that they follow Harman's curve relatively well and behave well too.
Which is really odd.

For kids - apparently they have some protection built in them so that kids can't, not knowingly, damage their hearing. That's a good thing. I have no idea if that means they are too quiet in a normal adult usage case, sorry.

Edit: WHAAAAT? 50 pounds???? I could swear I've seen them at the 20 pound price point recently O.O

Sorry :(

Reply #6
Note the impedance of those EK5 is 300 ohm, so I guess that's how they can market them as safe for kids. Not sure this would suit the OP's use case.

Reply #7
They still achieve 75 dB at 0,1 mV, though, so shouldn't matter much. They got waaay to expensive, so doesn't matter anyway.

Reply #8
Except £15 is a lot less than $50 :) Well built and will last along with all those other things don't come for £15.
Oops! My bad. I'd recommended it off the top of my head, without taking heed of this thread's higher price range.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #9
I know quite a few people who manage to break their cables of their In Ear earphones within 2 months. How do people manage to do that?

I have a pair of Sennheiser In Ears, bought them around 2003, so they are now about 15 years old and I use them daily. If I would put them back in the package they came from (which I don't have anymore) a lot of people would not notice they are not new :)

Just curious how long does In Ears last with the average people here?

Reply #10
Just curious how long does In Ears last with the average people here?

I don't know about that because I don't like them.

Apple Earbuds = 1 year (short develops) - DON'T BUY THEM!
iPod = 1 year (battery is useless)

Panasonic on ears that came with a portable CD Player I once owned (1 week before crack, 3 years held together by tape before a short develops). - Anything made of cheap brittle plastic cracks long before it ever shorts out for some strange reason.

Most pairs of over the ear headphones constantly plugged into computer 24/7 with lengthy cord = 3-4 years before a short develops.

Headphone extension cords = 5-6 years before short develops.

Reply #11
Hi again and thanks for the responses...

Does anyone have any experience with either the Sennheiser MM 30i and/or the CX 3.00?

Would be great to hear your thoughts if so...

Cheers