Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP (Read 515008 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP

Reply #725
The latest version of WMP Tag Plus should still work fine in WMP 11 on Windows XP.

What was the exact text of the error message that appeared? If WMP indeed crashed while WMP Tag Plus was saving tags, then that probably means that the file it was writing to is now corrupted. If you can still restore the original, non-corrupted file from your backups, could you send it to me so I can take a look?

Reply #726
Tim,

Sorry It took me a while, I sent everything you requested  via (email address removed by moderation)

Reply #727
Thanks, got it. But please remove the email address from your post here, because I don't want spambots to pick it up (you can use the Quick Edit button below your post).

Reply #728
Us mere mortals (who aren't mods or developers) only get an hour to edit our posts. You'll have to get a mod to edit it now.

Reply #729
Announcement: WMP Tag Plus 2.8 is now available for download. This is a bugfix release that fixes a possible Windows Media Player hang that was introduced in the previous release, version 2.7. Updating is highly recommended.

Reply #730
This is just a heads-up that the tag support added by WMP Tag Plus is broken again in the latest Windows 10 insider builds. A fix for this is in the making and will probably be released sometime later this month.

Another thing that I have noticed in the newer insider builds is that FLAC tag changes made in WMP's library don't seem to get written to file anymore. This seems to happen regardless of whether WMP Tag Plus is installed, or whether the native FLAC tag support is enabled/disabled. So it looks like an issue on Microsoft's side. Can anyone else confirm this?

Reply #731
Announcement: WMP Tag Plus 2.9 is now available for download. This is a bugfix release that fixes broken tag support in newer versions of Windows 10. Updating is recommended, especially if you're running the Windows 10 Insider Preview builds.

Reply #732
I've successfully installed the plug-in to solve the .m4a files in "Other Media" library wmp issue. The plug-in worked on most of my .m4a files, but not all of them. While some songs encoded in AAC are now the "Music" library, .m4a files that use MPEG-DASH still show up in the "Other Media" library even though they are encoded in AAC. Anything I can do to get these files in the "Music" library? I'm on a Windows 7 x64 machine with WMP 12. I've attached a MediaInfo txt file of a song with the issue.

Reply #733
The fix in WMP Tag Plus for .m4a files in Other media is only for files containing Apple Lossless (ALAC) encoded audio.

Does WMP recognize the playback length of these DASH-encoded files? And is it able to play them using the standard Media Foundation codecs in Windows 7?

I suspect that these files are not added to Other media because of the audio format (like with Apple Lossless), but rather because the container format itself (DASH) isn't being recognized.

If that's the case, you could demultiplex ('demux') the AAC stream first to a raw .aac file, and then multiplex ('mux') the .aac file again into a 'real' .m4a container. The resulting file should then appear in the Music library. Muxing/demuxing can be done with the MP4Box tool. MP4Box only works via the command line, but there are also graphical front-ends like Yamb and My MP4Box GUI.

Reply #734
After installation of the plug-in, multiple AAC encoded files that once showed up in the "Other Media" library now show up in the "Music" library, something else must be off with those files. I have the k-lite codec pack installed so I am not sure if WMP is able to play the files natively with the standard Media Foundation Codecs in W7. As "Length" isn't an available column header for the "Other Media" library in WMP, I am not sure if it can fully recognize the length of the files. WMP with K-lite does play the files correctly and I am able to seek through the songs and see the length of the songs when seeking.

I have used the ffmpeg command line tool previously, which sounds similar to the MP4BOX tool you are describing, ffmpeg may be able to demux and mux the files into a different container also. Either I way, I will look into what I have to do to 're-contain' a number of files at once as I have 100s of songs with this issue. Thank you for responding.

Reply #735
The MPEG-DASH file issue may come from .m4a files ripped from online audio streaming services. To avoid the issue in the future, try obtaining your files from another source.

Reply #736
Right, WMP doesn't show the length in Other media, I forgot about that. But if you right-click the file in the library and select Properties, does WMP show a length/bit rate there? And if you go to the Content tab, do you see any of the file's tags there?

Reply #737
Sorry, I didn't think to look under properties. Length and Bit rate are recognized by WMP under properties for the MPEG-DASH .m4a files

Reply #738
And what about the tags on the Content tab of the same Properties dialog?

Reply #739
In the content tab of properties, only title is populated. Windows explorer (Details pane) isn't able to edit the tags without throwing an error, however, I can't get it to edit m4a files that are in the music library either.

Reply #740
Could you upload one of the DASH-encoded files so I can take a look? You can use something like MediaFire and send me the link by PM. Thanks!

Reply #742
Thank you for uploading the file. I've taken a look, and as I already suspected, the DASH file format isn't recognized by Windows Media Foundation. WMP uses Media Foundation so it doesn't recognize the format either.

In more detail, Media Foundation returns error code 0xC00D36C4 (MF_E_UNSUPPORTED_BYTESTREAM_TYPE) when trying to open such a file. It's not able to read any of the file's tags either - if such tags are even supported by the format, which I doubt. Playback of the file also doesn't work without installation of third-party codecs. The only info that can be read is the playback length, but I assume that Media Foundation looks at the AAC stream for this.

While it's theoretically possible to force these files to go into Music instead of Other media, I don't think there's much point. Even with these files in the Music library, there still wouldn't be any way to have read/write support for tags. So I still think it would be better to just demux/mux the file into an actual .m4a container.

Reply #743
Okay, thanks for looking into it.

Reply #744
@tim de baets
Can you add support for opus?

Reply #745
There are no plans yet to add support for the Opus format. It might be added in the future though.

Reply #746
Announcement: in recent Windows 10 Insider Preview builds, WMP Tag Plus causes WMP to fail on startup with a "Windows Media Player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled" error message. This is due to a bug in a DLL file that is shared between my WMP Tag Plus and Windows Media Player Plus! plug-ins.

To get this shared DLL file fixed, you will need to install the beta version of Windows Media Player Plus! 2.10 (announced here). If you don't need Windows Media Player Plus!, you can just uninstall it again afterwards (the updated DLL will remain on your system). For now, no new version of WMP Tag Plus will be released, but the updated DLL will eventually be part of a future release.

Reply #747
Announcement: the final version of Windows Media Player Plus! 2.10 (*not* WMP Tag Plus) has recently been released. To fix the "Windows Media Player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled" error message, you can now install that final version instead of the beta (or any possible newer version of Windows Media Player Plus!).

As soon as a new WMP Tag Plus version is released, the fix will also be part of that release, but for now, no such release is planned. Until then, installation of Windows Media Player Plus! is the only way to get the fix, but as said before you can just uninstall Windows Media Player Plus! again afterwards if you just need the fix.

Important note: for unknown reasons, Microsoft have added a Write media information changes to files setting to WMP in the Spring Creators Update of Windows 10, and have defaulted it to *off*. That means that by default, any tag changes made in WMP's library aren't written back to file, both for natively supported formats and for formats supported through WMP Tag Plus. I would *strongly* recommend anyone making tag changes in the library (including using Windows Media Player Plus!'s tag editor) to turn that setting on - it can be found through Tools - Options - Library (press Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu).

In addition to this, it seems that Microsoft's native FLAC tag support completely refuses to write any tag changes to file in recent Windows 10 builds, even with the setting mentioned above turned on. So if you use FLAC in WMP's library with the native FLAC tag support, it's highly recommended to disable this native support and instead use the support added by WMP Tag Plus. Instructions on how to do that can be found in the WMP Tag Plus FAQ.

Reply #748
Announcement: WMP Tag Plus 2.10 is now available for download. This is a bugfix release that fixes the "Windows Media Player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled" error message in the Spring Creators Update of Windows 10. Additionally, a compatibility issue with Symantec Endpoint Protection software has been fixed.

These same fixes were present in Windows Media Player Plus! 2.10, so if you already installed the latter update, there's no real need to also install this update.

See the Version History page for a detailed list of what's new and what has been fixed since version 2.9.

Reply #749
Announcement: the beta version of WMP Tag Plus 2.11 is now available for download here. New in this version is a setting to force Windows Media Player on Windows 10 to write tag changes to file (enabled by default). This setting was added as a workaround for some strange WMP behavior that I've noticed. You can ignore this beta if you don't use FLAC on Windows 10, otherwise keep reading for more details.

As I have already mentioned in an earlier post, I noticed that on Windows 10, FLAC tag changes in Windows Media Player's library don't seem to get written to file. I finally had some time to look into this and came to the conclusion that WMP on Windows 10 is simply hard-coded *not* to write any tag changes to FLAC files. To put it simple, there's a check in WMP's code that literally reads: "if the file's extension is flac, skip the step of writing tag changes to file".

This happens even when the Write media information changes to files setting in Windows Media Player's options is turned on, and when either the native FLAC tag support in Windows is used, or the native support is disabled in favor of WMP Tag Plus support. This came as a real surprise to me, especially since this is nowhere mentioned by Microsoft at all. Everyone who relies on FLAC support in Windows 10 and thinks that their tag changes are safely written to file, is completely left in the dark...

Luckily I've been able to come up with a fix for this strange behavior (bug?) in Windows Media Player and included it in WMP Tag Plus, similar to how I've already included a fix for WMP's album art memory leak in the past. This new fix is enabled by default, but I've also added a checkbox on the Advanced tab of WMP Tag Plus settings should you ever want/need to disable it.

As this is a beta, it’s always possible that it still contains some bugs. Please let me know if you encounter any problems, so I can fix them for the final release. Thanks!