Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CUETools • "Weird" Characters in Encoded File Names (Read 5786 times) previous topic - next topic

CUETools • "Weird" Characters in Encoded File Names

Hi Everyone

Some of my music albums are archived as single tracks, each with its companion cue-file. Upon splitting these into multiple tracks, strange characters appear in some of the ensuing file names- and tags. When the same single-track cue file is loaded into my music player, all the track tags are correctly displayed, i.e. without these unwanted characters.

Is here a way to beat this? I have already read some of the posts, and tried by enabling/disabling the ANSI-options of CUETools, but to no avail.

Thank you.

Example-track: = Lakmé - Acte I - Flower Duet _ Dome Épais (Remasterisé En 2009)

Apps used: CUETools v2.1.6; Windows 7 x64, MusicBee v3.1

Re: CUETools • "Weird" Characters in Encoded File Names

Reply #1
Would you provide the CTDB TOCID (or CUETools log) for a few examples

edit: I want to check the databases. For example http://www.freedb.org/freedb/folk/1d117b13
korth

Reply #2
Phew! That was quick Korth. :)

Sorry, I did not find either log. Running a portable installation. Names? Where do I look for it? CTDB detailed log set to true.

Reply #3
Depends on the settings. http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools_Advanced_Settings:_AccurateRip
Default is *.accurip and should be in the output folder if 'Write AccurateRip log' is checked under 'Encode and verify'
You can open it with notepad.

edit: I also check 'Write AccurateRip log' & 'In source folder' under 'Verify'
korth

Reply #4
Thank you. That I've got. I'd thought it might be some other log.

Do I simply copy and paste it here for you- or should I PM?

PM'd

Reply #5
Just need the CTDB TOCIDs (looks like [CTDB TOCID: gVVUhkxZkJJfbxx4YocTYAb4e4g-])
here or PM
too late :)
korth

Reply #6
CTDB TOCID only, of course- sorry!

Reply #7
Now this I do not understand: The original cue file (below), displays the same errors, but when opened in MusicBee, the player, the tags are perfect?

Code: [Select]
TITLE "100 Best Adagio Voices CD1"
CATALOG 5099969772528
REM GENRE "Classical"
REM DATE 2009
FILE "100 Best Adagio Voices CD1.flac" WAVE
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Vocalise, Op.43/No.4"
    PERFORMER "Natalie Dessay/Berliner Symphoniker"
    ISRC FRZ119702170
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Agnus Dei "
    PERFORMER "Winchester Cathedral Choir/David Hill"
    ISRC GBPFW0600046
    INDEX 00 05:21:04
    INDEX 01 05:22:10
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Pavane Op. 50 (1992 Digital Remaster)"
    PERFORMER "Edinburgh Festival Chorus/Orchestre De Paris/Daniel Barenboim"
    ISRC GBAYC7400038
    INDEX 00 13:08:54
    INDEX 01 13:09:70
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Il Giustino. Vedro con mio diletto"
    PERFORMER "Philippe Jaroussky/Ensemble Matheus /Jean-Christophe Spinosi"
    ISRC GBAYC0601627
    INDEX 00 19:28:48
    INDEX 01 19:31:21
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Così fan tutte. Soave sia il vento"
    PERFORMER "Carol Vaness/Delores Ziegler/Claudio Desderi/London Philharmonic Orchestra/Bernard Haitink"
    ISRC GBAYC8602958
    INDEX 00 24:42:45
    INDEX 01 24:43:56
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "Saul (2002 Digital Remaster), ACT 1: O Lord, whose mercies numberless"
    PERFORMER "Sir Philip Ledger/English Chamber Orchestra/Sir Thomas Allen/Robert Tear/Paul Esswood/Charles Daniels/Sally Burgess/Margaret Marshall/Gareth Morrell/Martyn Hill/Matthew Best"
    ISRC GBAYC0201662
    INDEX 00 27:45:14
    INDEX 01 27:47:63
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "Le nozze di Figaro (highlights) (1989 Digital Remaster), Act II: Porgi, amor"
    PERFORMER "Elisabeth Schwarzkopf/Philharmonia Orchestra/Carlo Maria Giulini"
    ISRC GBAYC8904989
    INDEX 00 31:49:21
    INDEX 01 31:51:29
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    TITLE "Le Siège de Corinthe, 'Assedio di Corinto': Juste ciel! ah, ta clémence est ma seule espérance"
    PERFORMER "Katia Ricciarelli/Gabriele Ferro"
    ISRC GBAYC9104267
    INDEX 00 35:32:08
    INDEX 01 35:34:25
  TRACK 09 AUDIO
    TITLE "La Wally: Ebben?...Ne andrò lontana"
    PERFORMER "Barbara Hendricks/Paavo Järvi/Orchestre Philharmonique De Radio France"
    ISRC GBAYC0301920
    INDEX 00 39:10:20
    INDEX 01 39:12:22
  TRACK 10 AUDIO
    TITLE "La Forza del Destino: La Vergine degli' angeli (Act 2)"
    PERFORMER "Montserrat Caballé/Ambrosian Opera Chorus/Royal Philharmonic Orchestra/Anton Guadagno"
    ISRC GBAYC9501335
    INDEX 00 43:34:44
    INDEX 01 43:36:07
  TRACK 11 AUDIO
    TITLE "Lakmé - Acte I - Flower Duet : Dome Épais (Remasterisé En 2009)"
    PERFORMER "Alain Lombard - Mady Mesple - Danielle Millet - Orchestre Du Théatre National De L'Opéra Comique"
    ISRC FRZ110900347
    INDEX 00 47:03:03
    INDEX 01 47:04:28
  TRACK 12 AUDIO
    TITLE "Les Contes D'Hoffmann, Act Four: Belle Nuit, Ô Nuit D'Amour (Nicklausse/Giulietta/Choeurs)"
    PERFORMER "Ann Murray/Jessye Norman/Brussels National Opera Chorus/Orchestre Symphonique De L'Opéra National, Bruxelles/Sylvain Cambreling"
    ISRC GBAYC8600596
    INDEX 00 51:50:38
    INDEX 01 51:52:40
  TRACK 13 AUDIO
    TITLE "Les Pêcheurs de perles: A cette voix quel trouble... Je crois entendre encore (Nadir)"
    PERFORMER "Rolando Villazon/Münchner Rundfunkorchester/Michel Plasson"
    ISRC GBAYC0900439
    INDEX 00 56:10:16
    INDEX 01 56:12:59
  TRACK 14 AUDIO
    TITLE "Gianni Schicchi (1987 Digital Remaster): O mio babbino caro"
    PERFORMER "Montserrat Caballé/Sir Charles MacKerras/London Symphony Orchestra"
    ISRC GBAYC8700809
    INDEX 00 59:18:64
    INDEX 01 59:19:64
  TRACK 15 AUDIO
    TITLE "Rusalka: Song to the Moon (Act I)"
    PERFORMER "Lucia Popp/Münchner Rundfunkorchester/Stefan Soltesz"
    ISRC GBAYC8700951
    INDEX 00 61:59:59
    INDEX 01 62:01:20
  TRACK 16 AUDIO
    TITLE "Madama Butterfly (1987 Digital Remaster): Humming Chorus (Act II)"
    PERFORMER "Chorus Of The Royal Opera House, Covent Garden/Orchestra Of The Royal Opera House, Covent Garden/Lamberto Gardelli"
    ISRC GBAYC8702054
    INDEX 00 67:53:48
    INDEX 01 67:55:10
  TRACK 17 AUDIO
    TITLE "The Tsar's Bride (1995 Digital Remaster): Lyubasha's Aria: You wil pay"
    PERFORMER "Galina Vishnevskaya/London Philharmonic Orchestra/Mstislav Rostropovich"
    ISRC GBAYC9502656
    INDEX 00 71:02:25
    INDEX 01 71:03:56

That's where the 'weird' characters are from.
Someone more familiar with MusicBee might know if (instead of using the CUE data) it retrieves metadata from an online source.
korth

Reply #8
Thank you very much for your assistance Korth.

Reply #9
Isn't this just UTF-8 interpreted as latin1?

Reply #10
yes & might be when the Cue sheet was created.
From the Cue sheet specification in Appendix A of the CDRWIN User's Guide
File format: Cuesheet files are standard text (ASCII) files.

korth

Reply #11
I am using this workaround:

1. Load the cue-file into CUETools and encode the single FLAC into separate tracks.

2. Open these tracks in Mp3tag.

3. Open the same cue-file (.1.) into MusicBee. (It splits the single FLAC into separate tracks, and it displays the correct spelling, no funny characters).

3. Use the built-in MusicBee converter, and convert the displayed tracks to FLAC in a folder of your choosing.

4. Add the tracks in the latter folder (.3.) to those already added to Mp3tag (.2.)

5. In Mp3tag, copy your choice of tags of the MusicBee tracks, and paste it to the corresponding tags of the first set (.2.).

Reply #12
That sounds really inconvenient, have you tried just converting the cue-file to latin1? (I also think CUETools can read UTF-8 cue-files if you add a BOM).

Reply #13
That sounds really inconvenient, have you tried just converting the cue-file to latin1? (I also think CUETools can read UTF-8 cue-files if you add a BOM).

Thank you. Still terribly inconvenient, yes. I need to find out how to convert cue-files into Latin1 as per your suggestion. Suggestions welcome. :)

Reply #14
Notepad++ can do it. First just try adding a BOM, see if that works (Encoding > Convert to UTF-8-BOM).

Reply #15
Notepad++ can do it. First just try adding a BOM, see if that works (Encoding > Convert to UTF-8-BOM).

Thanks.

BOM= Bill of Materials?

I use NoteTab Pro, which can export to UTF-8. For the moment, I have run out of cue-files with weird characters, though. :)

Reply #16
Found another cue-file with weird characters in the titles. Opening it in NoteTab, and exporting it to a Unicode cue-file had the desired effect.

Thanks goes to Korth and Garathor for their assistance