Skip to main content

Topic: Multichannel 5.1 WAV DTS to Stereo Output ? (Read 1843 times) previous topic - next topic

• tommygun
  • [*]
Multichannel 5.1 WAV DTS to Stereo Output ?
Hi.

Is there a plugin available to output 5.1 WAV as Stereo on Windows 10 ?

I think I've tried about anything there is, but nothing works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tommy

• DVDdoug
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Multichannel 5.1 WAV DTS to Stereo Output ?
Reply #1
Do you want to make a new stereo file, or do you simply want to play it in stereo?

Can you play the file at all?  

• tommygun
  • [*]
Reply #2
....... thanks for your reply.

1st of all the files are in perfect condition, I've already converted them from 5.1 WAV to 2.0 WAV with the same sample rates using FFmpeg and the are good.

The original 5.1 WAV do play in foobar2000 and also in VLC, but I'm using MusicBee as my player now.

Posted my question in the MusicBee Forum, but didn't get a reply.

Long time ago before using foobar2000 I was able to manage with a codec pack. but it's not working on my Windows 10 Pro x64 anymore.

Also tried different audio drivers and several filters, but nothing seems to work except for dtsdec which I can't fully integrate into MusicBee.

Long story short, I want to play the original 5.1 WAV files.

So I think I need a 5.1 to 2.0 downmix plugin either one that works only for MusicBee or for my sound card which is IDT on a Dell laptop.

Please help .......
Tommy

• Leo 69
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #3
Convert your 5.1 WAV track into 2.0 WAV track using Channel Mixer in foobar2000 (add it in DSP section upon convertion). I don't see an issue having two separate tracks.

• tommygun
  • [*]
Reply #4
....... as I said in my post above, I've already converted them from 5.1 WAV to 2.0 WAV.

I want my system to be able playing the original 5.1 WAV files without conversion .......

Tommy

• DVDdoug
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
I have no idea if you can play it in MusicBee.     It's an oddball format with a "normal" WAV header designed to fake your CD burning software into thinking you're burning a regular audio CD from a regular (uncompressed PCM) WAV file.   Your CD player (or DVD player) sees the disc as a regular audio CD, and if you're lucky your receiver recognizes the DTS bit stream and decodes it.

If it also fakes-out your player software you're going to hear un-decoded DTS as noise.
  • Last Edit: 20 March, 2017, 11:14:06 AM by DVDdoug

• tommygun
  • [*]
Reply #6
....... sorry, but I think I give up and stick with the converted files because my knowledge is way to limited.

Anyway, I still think it's a Windows 10 problem, because on the same laptop with Windows 8 and a codec filter installed I could play these kind of files even in WMP.

Now no codec and no filter works, only foobar2000, VLC and WMC can and probably other players as well.

I thought I might get pointed to a plugin or filter here, but apparently not.

By the way, is the attached surroundTestDTS.dts.wav file an oddball format as well ?

This is exatly the same format as the sound files I got.

Thanks again for trying to help .......
Tommy

• krabapple
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
....... sorry, but I think I give up and stick with the converted files because my knowledge is way to limited.

Anyway, I still think it's a Windows 10 problem, because on the same laptop with Windows 8 and a codec filter installed I could play these kind of files even in WMP.

Now no codec and no filter works, only foobar2000, VLC and WMC can and probably other players as well.

are you using ASIO or WASAPI plugins with foobar?

From what I can glean, you are either playing a DTS file in a WAV wrapper  (what Audiomuxer calls ''SPDIF Wav") , or perhaps something ripped from a 'DTS CD'.

(versus a straight DTS file)

Is this correct?

• tommygun
  • [*]
Reply #8
....... yes. the tracks are ripped from a DTS CD.

As far as I understand, foobar2000 uses the "foo_input_dts.dll" for the playback of these files.

I'm using only what is installed by default in foobar2000 portable, no ASIO or WASAPI plugins .......
Tommy

• krabapple
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
....... yes. the tracks are ripped from a DTS CD.

As far as I understand, foobar2000 uses the "foo_input_dts.dll" for the playback of these files.

ok,  so it is undecoded DTS data in a PCM (WAV) wrapper  (that's what DTS CD tracks are too)

Yes, foobar uses that plugin to decode such files. I presume there is some sort of analogous DTS decoder built in, or added as a plugin, to MusicBee?  Obviously you need one t play such files.

I'm using only what is installed by default in foobar2000 portable, no ASIO or WASAPI plugins .......

If you were digitally streaming the raw data to an external DTS decoder, you'd need one of those plugins.  (taht's how I play all DTS, dts.wav, Dolby Digital etc files from foobar).  But that's  not what you're doing, I gather.  You're decoding in your player software (MusicBee is your preference, even though the file plays correctly in foobar and VLC...)  and outputting the decoded signal (which is PCM) to your amp/speakers. Correct?

a couple of ideas:

-Try changing the suffix of the problem file from .wav to .dts.  Or .dts to .wav (depending on what it is currently) 

-Use foobar or Audiomuxer to decode and save (i.e. convert)  the files as .wav - the resulting files will be true PCM .wav files -- and play those those files in MusicBee instead. 

• Last Edit: 21 March, 2017, 01:45:10 PM by krabapple

• tommygun
  • [*]
Reply #10
....... I've already converted the files in FFmpeg like this:

Code: [Select]
ffmpeg -i 6channels.wav -ac 2 stereo.wav

The converted files are playing in MusicBee without a problem (see attached files).

As you can see the converted files are of the same size as the originals, they also got the same sample rates and sound perfect to me.

I only want to accomplish to play the unconverted files in MusicBee and I think if I find the right plugin it might work .......

Tommy