Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: A few dBpweramp related questions. (Read 3465 times) previous topic - next topic

A few dBpweramp related questions.

Background is that years ago I ripped our CD collection into the "best" MP3 files I could.  With cheaper, bigger, drives and the ability to put one on our home network by plugging it in to our router,  I have decided to rip them again into FLAC files.  I read a lot about doing it with EAC and also dBpoweramp and decided to go with the latter.  I have the settings such that I am pretty sure I will be getting the quality files I am looking for.  I am no audio technical expert but I do pick things up and understand fast enough to not be worried about spending the time needed to learn to do this right.

My 1st question is about saving two copies of the file.  Right now I have the ripping options set to a temporary folder and then moving it to the final folder.  I will also back up the files in small batches as I go to an external hard drive which is what I plan to put on the network.  Since I will have two copies of the files from the start, I was thinking it would be great if I after each CD is ripped, I could have the files moved/saved not only to the final location on my computer hard drive, but also on to the external drive.  There is no option I could find in dBpoweramp for this.  Does anyone have an idea as to if this is possible?  Or is the only way to do as I planned and just periodically copy batches of ripped albums manually over to the external drive?

2nd:  I am using the naming scheme:  "Album Artist\Album Title\05 Title - Artist"  This seems to be OK but I am still not 100% sure that will be my final and I am open to any suggestions.  The main reason I have the track number and artist in the file title is so that is shows up understandably on the older audio display in my truck.  But maybe if I can understand the nuts and bolts of my 3rd question, there is a better way to handle that?

3rd: I am having some confusion trying to learn the details of tags and meta data and how best to handle that.  I have searched and found lots of discussion here and on other sites, but no really well organized tutorial on it.  Can anyone help or point me to something that will help me understand what I should be doing with tags and meta data?

Finally, Illustrate has something called Perfect Tunes, which I also downloaded.  I am not sure exactly what that does and how to use it.  I can't even determine if it is supposed to be integrated into the ripping process or if it is a stand alone tool to use on the files after they are ripped.  Any help with that would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: A few dBpweramp related questions.

Reply #1
You are best using multi-encoder and add the same encoder twice, one to your local hdd, the 2nd set to write to the external hdd.

Tagging depends on your player also.

PerfectTUNES is for use on already ripped files.

Reply #3
You are best using multi-encoder and add the same encoder twice, one to your local hdd, the 2nd set to write to the external hdd.

Thanks!  I has not thought of that as I only knew of using it to say both get an MP3 and a FLAC file and had not considered figuring out how to use it to get 2 FLACs on 2 HD's.  I guess doing it that way would take twice as long to rip, but maybe not if the two file formats are the same.

So it seems if I get it right the first time, I should never need Perfect Tunes?

Reply #4
Also note a very helpful forum specifically on dbpoweramp and other illustrate products:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/index.php

Thanks I just registered there and will see what I find.  I am using the trial version just since yesterday, but do not mind paying for it.  It does seem a bit easier to use than EAC.

Reply #5
So it seems if I get it right the first time, I should never need Perfect Tunes?

Not necessary, but I often find that I use PerfectTunes after I've copied all my music to a new harddrive. I run PerfectTunes after the copy on the new files, for checking the ACCURATERIP results.  Essentially, I'm doing a simple test of whether any of the FLAC files are corrupted, with the added benefit of also showing that files match accuraterip database.

Also, sometimes I rip newly released CDs and they are not in ACCURATERIP database yet. A while later I check these with PerfectTunes > Accuraterip.

Reply #6
I understand.  Thanks!