Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Will you switch from Winamp2 to Winamp3 now that it\'s final? (Read 60976 times) previous topic - next topic

Will you switch from Winamp2 to Winamp3 now that it\'s final?

Reply #50
I've been tryng Winamp3 3 or 4 times since it was alpha, and it always crashed on me. The final version just won't let me set anything, it opens frozen.
Well, actually not frozen : in fact it takes about 1 minute to respond to any user event (mouse, keyboard).

Reply #51
Winamp2 is the best player for me. Works as it should, plays long playlists without problems. Nowadays it's used mainly for playing OGGs.

Reply #52
Winamp2 does still what it have to do nicely. No reason to switch to WA3. Nowadays it just plays OGGs and MP3s, WA3 just takes more resources.

Reply #53
I'm happy user of Winamp2. Plays .oggs and other types well and doesn't take too much resources on my old AMD K6-2 system.

Reply #54
Hrmm.... had a bit of weirdness going on in this thread a few minutes ago... posts weren't showing up.  I had to go in and manually fix the thread via phpmyadmin, but unfortunately the poll data was lost.  Sorry guys... but at least we got the posts working again.

Reply #55
The one thing that Winamp 3 has done is to point out how good Winamp 2 still is and also make people look for alternative players that got overlooked in anticipation of the all singing all dancing W3.

Winamp 2 is a wonderful player that plays media well.  It lacks user friendly features but it gets the job done quickly and efficiently.  W3 has lost the plot.  There are some great skins for it but otherwise it is all bloat and sloth.

So to answer the original question - I will not be using Winamp 3.  Actually I have rediscovered QCD and consider this to be the dogs' gnats of media players.

Reply #56
I haven't used WinAMP since 2.09

CoolPlayer is all good!

Reply #57
yeah we all know it. coolplayer uses less memory than winamp2 - it actually uses 6megs while winamp2 uses only 2, but it's opensource so it still uses less memory, blah blah, meow meow. go somewhere else.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #58
yeah we all know it. coolplayer uses less memory than winamp2 - it actually uses 6megs while winamp2 uses only 2, but it's opensource so it still uses less memory, blah blah, meow meow. go somewhere else.

Your title might disqualify your claim. I don't care if it uses 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 or 50 megabytes of RAM. I have 640 MB to do with, so that's not my concern, but the fact is, CoolPlayer loads faster and is more responsive than WinAMP.

Reply #59
... oh, and you're right - it's opensource 

Reply #60
yeah, coolplayer users love to show off how their player is "better" than everything else (especially in winamp-related threads), eg. "it seeks faster" or "it loads faster". you see, winamp is intended to play music, not to be loaded 10 times a minute or to seek around files like crazy.
again, i don't care about "responsivity" or "memory usage" or "loading time", that's what coolplayer trolls always point, usually based on false claims (but again, who cares...).

Reply #61
I had to go in and manually fix the thread via phpmyadmin, but unfortunately the poll data was lost.

I looked at the thread earlier today, and from what I can remember 74 % answered "No". But a lot of voting was made before the MPC codec was available, I guess.

Reply #62
FYI - you can use shoutcast with winamp 3 - you just need to install  the 'winamp 2x plugin manger' and this will allow you to use the shoutcast plugin (along with several other wimamp 2 plugins).

Reply #63
Coolplayer definetly is a nice player. It is small and somehow fast, but its architecture too limited to be considered a serious player; both Winamp 2/3 have an architecture open for extensions, while Coolplayer is a very monotholitic  software.
It has its place when you can not install software on your machine or want to burn a small player on a MP3 CD.

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #64
Nope.
Version 2.81 can handle all my needs and no complains about it.
WA3 is slower and buggy.
Since I mostly use older machines, upgrading will not bring any advantage or performance improvement.

So, lets keep 2.81.

LIF
"Jazz washes away the dust of everyday life" (Art Blakey)

Reply #65
well, i'm not flaming coolplayer itself, i respect the competition; i only get annoyed by smartass coolplayer users inserting their plugs everywhere.
about Winamp3 - calling it "final" is very wrong right now, even i don't actually use it (though i have to develop components for it). i'm sure that my not-so-recent machines handle Winamp3 fine though (eg. 700mhz/128meg laptop), and resource usage will go down with incoming versions (though it will probably never be as low as with Winamp v2.x).

Reply #66
Final or not, Winamp 3 always got "stopped because it has performed an illegal operation", or just freezes after a few clicks. So I won't change from 2 to 3.

Reply #67
tried 2.72 - took over all my file extensions without asking - a no no in my book.  at least give the installer (installee) the option as to what file types to associate.  i had to re-associated the file extensions so that the ati player would play them.

found coolplayer and liked it.
really like 1by1 from m pesch (sp) the same author of mp3directcut (use it allot).  have stuck with it ever since.  no associations - no registry entries.  just goto the folder and play.
no visuals just good sound.  what i wanted in a player.  footprint - don' know.  it didn't take over.
no flames - you asked.

Reply #68
well, the installer does ask about associating with files and CDA; if you can't read or just keep clicking "next", that's your problem, keep it to yourself. same about registry entries mostly (only recent plugins write to registry, to avoid problems with unicode in winamp.ini and winamp.ini max size limit). i'm really amazed by amount of false information about Winamp people (mostly coolplayer "fans") post.

Reply #69
zZzZzZz

pretty harsh - that will help with getting people to use your product.  i never said i was perfect...and sometimes i do make mistakes.  i guess doing this pole was another one of them.  troll - no just trying to learn.  sorry if i offended you.  i meant no harm.  i just came here to learn - not get pounded for making a mistake

Reply #70
i personally don't give rat's ass about which player you use. but please, if you came here to tell why some player is "better" for particular purpose than Winamp, at least come with valid info about it, thank you.

Reply #71
i use 2.81.  its not that im opposed to using 3, its just that 2.81 does what when i want.  its highly configurable and hardly touches my system resources.

Reply #72
I won't be switching to WA3 and will still continue to use WA2 even "if," or "when?" I upgrade to Win2K or WinXP.

WA3 is nice looking but the functionality is totally alien to me. The new way the playlist works alone was enough to turn me completely off, it just wasn't the friendly ugly duckling I've come to love over the past two years. It's too resource hungry on Win98, and loads just as slow as Micro$oft WMP on Win98 even though the site states it (officially) supports Win98.

I think anyone using Win98 who loads the player will quickly realize that their OS is just too old, and too M$-DOS'd down to effeciently run WA3, or any modern media player for that matter. Just my thoughts.

Reply #73
I have used and loved WA2, but lost the love when WA3 came out.  I was going to go back to WA2 when I came across a suggestion for QCD in the Nullsoft Forums.  I am very happy with this prog!  It rocks!

QCD Homepage

It is fully skinnable.  In fact, I am using the Quinnamp skin that makes it look almost identical to Winamp.

Reply #74
The only thing that prevents me from using wa3 more frequently is the way the playlist editor works. I find it pretty annoying that dblclicked track automatically creates new playlist. Besides if loading multiple m3u's, they're not being displayed after Winamp restart (if they've never been played).

What would be really nice to have is a more customizable playlist loading (automatic name generation, scan and update features... albumlist-like in other words ). It's not that optimal after loading a bunch of m3u's to rename every single playlist manually.

Media library could be an option for organizing, though I don't need all those sorting and searching capabilities, just handling of already (externally) created playlists.