Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Change MP3 file name (Read 2702 times) previous topic - next topic

Change MP3 file name

I have a large MP3 collection, however recently I have bought MP3 albums from some ambient music sites where the the file name of the mp3's read in lowercase and underscores, hyphens etc, for example
0108_rush_moving_pictures-tom-saywer.mp3, 0208_rush_moving_pictures-red-barchetta.mp3 ,0308_rush_moving_pictures-yyz.mp3 where my mp3's are named 01-Tom Saywer.mp3.

Presumably is this because it makes it easier to manage and search a large collection on a windows pc, if this is so I would like to rename my mp3's like that, but I have'nt a clue how to do it. I have looked at foobar and mp3tag but am still none the wiser.

Thanks     

Change MP3 file name

Reply #1
Would that naming scheme make it easier for you? What's wrong with your older method?

At any rate, foobar makes this pretty simple work:
a) right click on selected files
b) file operations > rename > ...
c) in file operations setup under naming pattern, type this to make your downloads like all your other MP3's:
Code: [Select]
%track%-%title%

But if you want your old MP3's named like the downloads, you'd have to tweak that.

Change MP3 file name

Reply #2
Start Windows Explorer. Navigate to where the files are. Right-click a file, select Rename. Do a search for "batch renamer" if you want to do a large amount at one time, but otherwise, you don't need any special software to rename a file.

A space in a file name on a web page shows up as "%20" when you try to download it. This confuses lots of people, so it used to be common to uses dashes and underscores in place of a space, but there's no advantage in renaming all your files, other than for esthetic reasons.