Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audition: question about fading (Read 3988 times) previous topic - next topic

Audition: question about fading

Hi, I'm editing some live albums in Audition in order to remove the public at the end and I'm applying a fade out.
My question: is it better first to convert the audio files, in Audition, to 32 bits before applying fade, and reconvert back to original 16 bits? Or there's no difference with applying fade directly without any bit reconversion?

Thanks.

Reply #1
Hi, I'm editing some live albums in Audition in order to remove the public at the end and I'm applying a fade out.
My question: is it better first to convert the audio files, in Audition, to 32 bits before applying fade, and reconvert back to original 16 bits? Or there's no difference with applying fade directly without any bit reconversion?

Set "Dither Transform Results" option and there will be no difference.

Reply #2
There will be no quantization distortion. However, unless the latest version of Audition has something new in this option, you will not get the same results as working in floating point, then converting to 16 bit with more optimized dither and noise shaping. The difference will be lower background noise, possibly allowing you to hear the fade more clearly to a lower level.

However, in this case, since the fade is a program created one, not part of the actual performance, and originally part of a transition to crowd noise, the difference is most likely moot.

Reply #3

I'm under the impession that under the covers and for 16 bit files, Audition converts the data to 32 bit float, applies the specified EFX, and converts the results back to 16 bits with dither.

Secondly, I think you are worrying to much about moot details.  Your albums have far more noise than the processing in Audition.

I've edited literally thousands of 16 bit files in CEP 2.1/Audition, and the worst thing I can say about their processing is that they do what you tell them to do, no matter how good or bad your ideas or their execution are! ;-)

Reply #4
It is pointless to worry about it ("real" record companies certainly don't), but...

If you convert to 32-bit, apply the fade, and then re-dither to 16-bit, you'll be re-dithering the entire file.

If you just apply the fade to the 16-bit original, you'll only re-dither the fade itself - the rest will be untouched.

Cheers,
David.