Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: The best way to backup lossless audio data? (Read 12451 times) previous topic - next topic

The best way to backup lossless audio data?

Reply #25
I'd go for both decent optical media and a backup hard drive. Having lost 8 out of 10 hard drives over the past 18 months for no obviously apparent reason, and only 1 correctly stored DVD-R out of over 100 in the past decade, I wouldn't put my faith entirely in hard drives without another form of backup. YMMVC.

With that many dead drives I really think your system has a problem. I have been around computers for decades and have only ever seen two HDDs die from mechanical failure. I only owned one of those drives, the other belonged to a colleague.

If I were you I would take a look to make sure I didn't have dirty mains power where I lived or that my computers PSU wasn't going bad one me. You can get an electrician to test your mains power if you suspect its the source of your problem.

Reply #26
For 50Gb worth of data you could get two medium sized hard drives and copy onto them. Store one at a friend/relatives house and keep one to back up to. I tried using DVD's as a backup. It was a pain in the ass to keep track of which albums got copied over to which DVD when artists/albums got split up. Usually I couldn't fill the whole DVD, which wasted space. And it took time to burn the DVD. Not only that but you really need to use good quality DVD's, which means either discovering a cheap cache of Taiyo Yuden or brand name labeled TY's or buying the from an importer. 100 DVD's with writeable surface was in the mid 30's. Not sure what it is now.

I've got almost all of my ripped music collection in FLAC on a 640Gb hard drive along with about 100Gb of live recordings. I backup to a 1Tb on site. I have a copy of the 640Gb offsite. Unfortunately its in another state, so I am not able to do updates as regularly as I would want. Akkurat got me thinking about how to do offsite backup over the internet. There has to be a simple way......

Reply #27
Hello, i'm not very well versed about this so I'm in for both HDD and DVD, however something mentioned called my attention: It would be sensible to back up in .rar with a recovery register, right?

Reply #28
I'm currently backing up about 4TB of data across 3 external 2TB drives.

I'm using SyncBackFree to mirror everything with hash checking\comparing enabled.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #29
norseman197, b = bit, B = Byte.

I'm using SyncBackFree to mirror everything with hash checking\comparing enabled.

I use SyncBackPro for work, very useful and professional backup tool.

Reply #30
I store my files on a ZFS mirror, and I periodically stream a copy of the filesystem to an external hard drive also using ZFS.