Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [1.4 b3] (Read 1089 times) previous topic - next topic

[1.4 b3]

in the preferences pane there is a setting for network.  What does this do and how do I use it?  Sorry if I seem a bit clueless.

Re: [1.4 b3]

Reply #1
The network settings only affect playing of internet streams. If you have slow or unreliable internet connection increasing the buffer size can help prevent unwanted stutter. But larger buffer makes playback start slower.

If your internet connection requires using a proxy server this page also allows configuring how foobar2000 should use it.

Dynamic title checkbox tells if foobar2000 should show individual track names picked from the stream. Not sure how that can be a problem for proxies though.

If you don't play streams or play them but don't have any problems, there's no need to touch this page. If you have music on NAS drive for example the settings here are irrelevant to that, as you most likely access the music over SMB protocol.

Reply #2
Thanks, Case.  Let me take a wild guess.  Is it under File->Location where one adds a network address to access the stream for playback in Foobar?

Reply #3
What happens if you try it?

Reply #4
What happens if you try it?
:D
Good point. But - remember @dhromed  that this option allows for much more (like generating tones, sweeps, reversing tracks if you have certain components added), so potentially it may be confusing ;)
And it may not work on Autoplaylist at all :)

Reply #6
Then it appears the url doesn't return an actual audio stream or playlist. I'm guessing it's actually a web page with a player on it? What is the address?

remember @dhromed  that this option allows for much more
oh definitely, the location field is superbly overloaded, but if you don't know about those things, and you got an url in one hand, and an url-shaped hole in the other, then maybe it's not so confusing at that particular point in the grand user journey. :)

Reply #7
Then it appears the url doesn't return an actual audio stream or playlist. I'm guessing it's actually a web page with a player on it? What is the address?

It's a web page with a player on it.