Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [OFFTOPIC] Compression Regret (Read 1236 times) previous topic - next topic

[OFFTOPIC] Compression Regret

ZFS is so obscenely cool that I had to try it at one stage. It was before FreeBSD had adopted it, so I tried to run Solaris on a poor home computer. Got so far as to pulling out one drive to check the RAIDZ rebuilding, and found out that if I needed a new computer just for the sake of running a file system, I could just as well buy another set of backup drives.

At home I have used http://www.vilett.com/disParity/ . It protects as a RAID (type 3 or 4, dedicated parity drive) as long as nothing is written; new files are not protected, and overwriting old files destroys recoverability of other files - until you ask it to update. But each drive is useful separately, and should parity crash between failure and rebuild of drive1, it means drive2 is intact and I only have to retrieve from backup-drive1. Can be done off-site with a single spare drive.

But nowadays 4 TB drives offer most storage for the buck, and 6 TB's are affordable, and the latter takes some 20 000-ish CDs stored losslessly. After just having had a crash this summer, having to retrieve a mighty (count'em) one single file, I can mirror it all on my new drive.