Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Interview Time (Read 11012 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Interview Time

Reply #25
"Any legacy SS amp that has a single power supply for its output stage generally has a large DC blocking capacitor that will interact with some woofers to create relatively large amounts of bass boost (YES, BOOST!)  - often several DB in the lowest normal octave."

What is a "legacy SS amp"? How far back are you going in time? 10 years? 20 years? More?

I'm talking second generation SS amps - late 60s, early 70s.

Notable because they use silicon output devices (not germanium types like the first generation), typically no coupling transformers, single-ended power supplies, output coupling caps.  Lots of Japanese receivers and amps, as well as the Dyna 80 and 120, the Heath AR 15, AR amplifier, etc. The AR amp was a bit of a throwback as it had a driver transformer. Mostly topped out at 50-60 wpc.  The next generation included the early Phase Linears, Crown DC 75 and 300, Dyna 400,  etc - notable because they had split power supplies, no output coupling caps, more power 150-200 wpc, but still had SOA problems.

Reply #26
Thank you Arnold. Very interesting.

Are there any modern power amps that you are fond of?

Bob Carver's Phase Linear amps and TFM series amps are still very highly regarded and sought after on ebay. Good value (power) per dollar. I always respected his 'outside the box' approach in his engineering.

Reply #27
Thank you Arnold. Very interesting.

Are there any modern power amps that you are fond of?

Lots of them.  You later on mention value. Generally the two best ways to get watts for good prices, and the two best ways to do that are would be AVRs and amplifiers for professionsl audio.  AVRs give you a lot of watts per dollar, but their maximum power output for channel might be on the low side. Amps for pro audio like Crowns, QSCs, and the like come in various power ranges that vary from a lot to totally humungeous.   Used within their ratings, they can both sound great.

Bob Carver's Phase Linear amps and TFM series amps are still very highly regarded and sought after on ebay. Good value (power) per dollar. I always respected his 'outside the box' approach in his engineering.

Carver does a lot of things these days that make me suspect of his sales efforts. For example, for years he went around suing speaker companies based on a patent that he had for a subwoofer. The patent was eventually found to be invalid for a number of reasons including the fact that there was prior art, some of which Carver had previously used in his own commercial products. That automatically invalidates the patent, but Carver picked mostly on small companies that would settle rather than go through an expensive court fight. Eventually, he picked on somebody with deep pockets who cleaned his clock in court. It was fraudulent bullying all along.

Reply #28
Thank you.

I like what I see in the Crown's and QSC's. I especially like the smaller size and the price. Good power per dollar.

Reply #29
Thank you.

I like what I see in the Crown's and QSC's. I especially like the smaller size and the price. Good power per dollar.

The biggest problem with applying pro audio amps to home audio is their cooling fans. 

Reply #30
Yes, I noticed the fans. I suppose that you could replace the OEM fan with a quieter one after doing some research.

On a side note, I would to participate in a (volume matched) blind listening test between an regular Pro class D amp and a so-called NCore or ICEpower class D amp just to see if sonic differences exist. My guess is probably not.

Reply #31
Yes, I noticed the fans. I suppose that you could replace the OEM fan with a quieter one after doing some research.

On a side note, I would to participate in a (volume matched) blind listening test between an regular Pro class D amp and a so-called NCore or ICEpower class D amp just to see if sonic differences exist. My guess is probably not.

These days power amp fans are often set up to track the needs of the amp, so if you don't turn things up, they may even be stopped.