Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Gapless WMA Lossless playback in MCE/WMP? (Read 6027 times) previous topic - next topic

Gapless WMA Lossless playback in MCE/WMP?

Hello everyone,

I'm using Windows XP Media Center to manage my CD collection, but I have problems with playing gapless CDs (e.g. Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon) ripped to WMA Lossless (or any lossless codec).
I've read that people get gapless playback in Media Center (and Windows Media Player) with WMA Lossless, but I get gaps no matter which codec I use.

I get no gaps in players such as foobar2000 though...

Could this be some codec/filter issue?

Reply #1
Upgrade to WMP11 if you haven't already. In my experience it supports gapless WMA Std playback - haven't had the chance to test it with any other codec since I rip to WMA and most of the album-consecutive tracks I listen to don't fade into each other.
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High

Reply #2
Gapless playback in WMP 11 and WMA-Lossless definately works.  I have several hundred CDs encoded with WMA-L (including Dark Side of the Moon) and the playback is gapless.  Can it be possible that they are not ripped correctly?

Reply #3
I forgot to mention that I already have WMP11...
And it looks like the CDs are ripped properly - I copied the WMAs to another PC and they play gaplessly in WMP.

Could it be that something got messed up after I installed lots of different audio codecs/filters?
If it is so, how can I change it back?

Reply #4
Could it be that something got messed up after I installed lots of different audio codecs/filters?
If it is so, how can I change it back?

Could be that you installed a non-standard WM* decoder/filter (usually found in "codec packs" such as K-Lite and ffdshow). If you did, either remove or disable it, then reboot. WMP11/MCE should go back to using the default decoder/filter, which should work.

In my experience, for example, ffdshow breaks WM* playback on my PC.
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High

Reply #5
Thanks a lot!
In my case, it turned out that AC3Filter was causing the problem.
Uninstalling it helped right away.