Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP (Read 516903 times) previous topic - next topic

WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP

Reply #350
WMP Tag Plus's tag support currently never works in Windows 8, regardless of whether the error message is shown or not.

Setting files to open with WMP doesn't affect tag support in any way. When installing a property handler, WMP will use that property handler for tag support instead of WMP Tag Plus.

Reply #351
WMP Tag Plus's tag support currently never works in Windows 8, regardless of whether the error message is shown or not.

Setting files to open with WMP doesn't affect tag support in any way. When installing a property handler, WMP will use that property handler for tag support instead of WMP Tag Plus.

Sorry for false info then, I thought the property handler is only supposed to affect Windows Explorer.

Reply #352
Thanks Tim for your work on WMP Tag - couldn't use the WMP library without it. Looking forward to v2 - it allowing seeking in APE files will be excellent.

Reply #353
I did some searching and only found one entry dealing with WMPTagPlus and the original question was never really answered, so my apologies if this is rehash.

I am fairly new to the HTPC world and have spent 3 weeks on the video side of things. I am enterning the domain of music now and having hit and miss success so far. Mainly I want to be able to incorporate my .flac files into a Media Browser plugin called MBMusic 2.0. Since all of my files (flac included) are fully and properly tagged, MB and the plugin will show all of the tag data properly (i.e. cover image, artist, track title, album title and so on). However, once you actually begin to play the selected track(s) the control is given to WMP and there I get, for instance, the filename inplace of the Title, Unknown Artist instead of the Artist Name and the cover art image (which is both embedded in the tag info and in a folder.jpg in the albums folder) won't display.

I was directed to WMPTagPlus with the understanding that installing this utility would allow .flac file tag data to be visable within WMP. Should this be the case? What might I be doing wrong?

I am using WMP 12 in Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Of course I am running the 32bit version of WMP 12 in 32bit as that is the default. After installing the utility (WMPTagPLus), I ran "Apply Media Information Changes" under Organize in hopes that WMP would then pick up and apply the tag info from my .flac files. Unfotunatly, this was not the case and my one .flac based folder (for testing purposes) remained unaltered afterword. Another note, I can play the .flac files and can even FF and RWD (which I had read some have trouble with).

The only solution I have found so far (and it's literally a workaround, not a solution) is to convert the .flac files to .wma files using the WMA 9.2 Lossless codec which WMP can see and utilize.

So, where am I going wrong? Thanks for your time and effort!...

Reply #354
I read through the whole forums...maybe I missed this issue or it really isn't one to anyone else.

I am using WMP 12 with WMP Tag Plus and xiph.org and I can play a flac just fine if I open it.

If I try to open a flac by way of my UPNP server (Twonky) I get an error that this file is an unrecognized type and is unplayable in WMP.

Anyone else using it this way and have a solution.

I am very sorry if this has already been addressed and I missed it and am wasting everyone's time...I did search but there are a lot of posts.

Thanks again,

Reply #355
I am using WMP 12 in Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Of course I am running the 32bit version of WMP 12 in 32bit as that is the default. After installing the utility (WMPTagPLus), I ran "Apply Media Information Changes" under Organize in hopes that WMP would then pick up and apply the tag info from my .flac files. Unfotunatly, this was not the case and my one .flac based folder (for testing purposes) remained unaltered afterword. Another note, I can play the .flac files and can even FF and RWD (which I had read some have trouble with).

(Sorry for not noticing your post earlier but I didn't receive any notification e-mail from these forums like I usually do.)

I'm pretty sure that Apply Media Information Changes isn't going to get tag info for existing FLAC files in the library - for that, the files need to be re-added. Select the files, right-click, Delete - Delete from library only - OK. Then go to Tools - Advanced and select Restore deleted library items (press Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu). The upcoming 2.0 version of WMP Tag Plus can do this for you but for now, it still needs to be done manually.

Also note that the current version doesn't support album art yet, but 2.0 will.

If I try to open a flac by way of my UPNP server (Twonky) I get an error that this file is an unrecognized type and is unplayable in WMP.

This is what I posted earlier about streaming M4A (MPEG-4) files with WMP 11. The same applies to WMP 12 and other formats that aren't natively supported:

WMP Tag Plus was only written with basic library usage in mind, and hasn't been tested with 'extras' such as streaming or syncing. Furthermore, because I personally have never streamed music from my PC, I don't have an idea of what could be the problem. If the problem lies with WMP Tag Plus, then I'm afraid that it will be practically impossible for me to fix it, as there isn't any way for me to reproduce the issue without a media receiver.

One thing you could try is temporarily disabling WMP Tag Plus, and checking if the receiver is able to play M4A files then.

Perhaps there are other people on this forum who know more about streaming, and will be able to help you better than I can. If there's a support forum on the Denon website, I suggest that you post this problem there as well.

So my best advice is to check on the Twonky support forums.

Reply #356
hi, im running windows 7 and wmp12. When i try to install wmptagplus i get a message telling me to close media player, i do so, then i get a message telling me windows media player is not installed on this pc. Any suggestions guys?

as per a search and a previous post i added this entry to my registry but it aint fixed it

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\wmplayer.exe]
@=hex(2):25,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,00,69,00,6c,00,65,\
  00,73,00,28,00,78,00,38,00,36,00,29,00,25,00,5c,00,57,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,\
  6f,00,77,00,73,00,20,00,4d,00,65,00,64,00,69,00,61,00,20,00,50,00,6c,00,61,\
  00,79,00,65,00,72,00,5c,00,77,00,6d,00,70,00,6c,00,61,00,79,00,65,00,72,00,\
  2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,00,00
"Path"=hex(2):25,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,00,69,00,6c,\
  00,65,00,73,00,28,00,78,00,38,00,36,00,29,00,25,00,5c,00,57,00,69,00,6e,00,\
  64,00,6f,00,77,00,73,00,20,00,4d,00,65,00,64,00,69,00,61,00,20,00,50,00,6c,\

Reply #357
Where is the wmplayer.exe file located on your system? (you can perform a search if you aren't sure)

Are you running the 32-bit or 64-bit edition of Windows 7? If you're running the 32-bit edition, please open the Start Menu, type regedit in the Search field and press Enter. In the Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\wmplayer.exe. What are the contents of the (Default) entry there?

Reply #358
Where is the wmplayer.exe file located on your system? (you can perform a search if you aren't sure)

Are you running the 32-bit or 64-bit edition of Windows 7? If you're running the 32-bit edition, please open the Start Menu, type regedit in the Search field and press Enter. In the Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\wmplayer.exe. What are the contents of the (Default) entry there?

thanks for the reply, the default entry says 'value not set' and the path for the .exe is  C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player

cheers

Reply #359
So I assume that means you're running the 32-bit edition of Windows 7?

That entry should definitely have a default value set. Did you perhaps use a registry 'cleaner'?

Adding the following .reg file to the registry should allow the WMP Tag Plus installer to find WMP again. Note that this file is for the 32-bit Windows 7 only:

Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\wmplayer.exe]
@=hex(2):25,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,00,69,00,6c,00,65,\
  00,73,00,25,00,5c,00,57,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,6f,00,77,00,73,00,20,00,4d,00,\
  65,00,64,00,69,00,61,00,20,00,50,00,6c,00,61,00,79,00,65,00,72,00,5c,00,77,\
  00,6d,00,70,00,6c,00,61,00,79,00,65,00,72,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,00,00
"Path"=hex(2):25,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,00,69,00,6c,\
  00,65,00,73,00,25,00,5c,00,57,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,6f,00,77,00,73,00,20,00,\
  4d,00,65,00,64,00,69,00,61,00,20,00,50,00,6c,00,61,00,79,00,65,00,72,00,00,\

Does that help?

Reply #360
So I assume that means you're running the 32-bit edition of Windows 7?

That entry should definitely have a default value set. Did you perhaps use a registry 'cleaner'?

Adding the following .reg file to the registry should allow the WMP Tag Plus installer to find WMP again. Note that this file is for the 32-bit Windows 7 only:

yes im running 32 bit W7. I have used registry cleaners in the past but i have read that they dont do any good and more harm on occasions so i dont use them now.

i just added that info to the registry and the wmptagplus installed fine, i opened up wmp and all my flac music is not organised with the tagging. Many thanks for your help much appreciated 

Reply #361
Existing FLAC files in the library need to be re-added after installation for their tags to show up. See my post from March 15 for more detailed instructions.

Reply #362
and what makes this program and how to use it?

Reply #363
all figured out.

is it possible in future to add support for the format mp3 (ID3 v.2.3 or better ID3 v.2.4) and wma, and video formats - avi, wmv, mkv ?

Why then does not want to edit the fields in the mp4 file
: (

All fields are inactive

Reply #364
is it possible in future to add support for the format mp3 (ID3 v.2.3 or better ID3 v.2.4) and wma, and video formats - avi, wmv, mkv ?

Windows Media Player already has native support for MP3 ID3v2.3, WMA and WMV. There are no plans yet to add AVI or MKV, as WMP Tag Plus is currently aimed at audio formats only. However, the WMP Tag Plus SDK allows developers to write their own tag support, so support for these formats could be quickly added if there would be volunteers.

Why then does not want to edit the fields in the mp4 file
All fields are inactive

Which fields do you mean and where? Which version of Windows Media Player and Windows are you using?

Reply #365
I would like to announce that the beta version of WMP Tag Plus 2.0 is now available for download here.

Highlights of what's new:
  •     Album art support: no more error messages when pasting art in WMP's library and no need to manually delete album art files. For MPEG-4, FLAC and Vorbis, embedded album art is supported as well.
  •     Monkey's Audio (.ape) tagging support.
  •     Fix for WMP 12 always adding Apple Lossless (ALAC) files to Other media (this was already present in the 1.3 beta).
  •     Refresh song tags: WMP Tag Plus can scan the library for untagged songs of the newly supported formats and re-add these songs to the library, so that you don't need to do this manually. This can be initiated from settings, but will also run once after a clean WMP Tag Plus installation.
  •     WMP Tag Plus will now show a warning at WMP startup if the plug-in is disabled, to prevent untagged songs in the library and tag changes not getting written to file (this warning can be turned off).

This beta is not yet compatible with Windows 8, but the final release most likely will be.

As this is a beta, it’s not unlikely that there still are some bugs. Please let me know if you encounter any problems, so I can fix them for the final release.

Reply #366
is there any other way of adding the artwork other than using media player, for flac files, i dont like using its tag tool, i have already tagged all my flac files using another program and so im just wanting to add the artwork for it to display in media player.

Reply #367
For embedding artwork into FLAC files, you could use the tag editor of the Windows Media Player Plus! plug-in, or Mp3tag. Note that you will also need the just-released WMP Tag Plus 2.0 beta for FLAC artwork support in WMP.

Reply #368
For embedding artwork into FLAC files, you could use the tag editor of the Windows Media Player Plus! plug-in, or Mp3tag. Note that you will also need the just-released WMP Tag Plus 2.0 beta for FLAC artwork support in WMP.

thanks for the reply but im afraid media player is crashing with the new tag plus 2.0 and when i install the old one my files are no longer organised in media centre, i have tried deleting the files from the library and the database files but still no joy.

Reply #369
What's the exact error message when WMP crashes with WMP Tag Plus 2.0?

Please post the technical details of the crash here. Open the Start menu, type event in the Search box, and click on Event Viewer in the list of programs. In Event Viewer, go to Windows Logs - Application, and look for Error in that list, there should be such an event for each crash. Double-click the latest event and copy/paste its description into your reply.

Also, would it be possible for you to upload a process dump file of the crash? Please download this file and double-click it to add it to the registry (if the file gets opened as text in your browser, you need to right-click the link and select Save Target As instead):

When the file has been successfully added to the registry, start WMP again and let it crash once more. After it has crashed, a new file with a name starting with wmplayer.exe should have been created in C:\LocalDumps. You can then send me an e-mail with the file attached, through the E-mail link on the left of the BM-productions website. Thanks!

Reply #370
from an empty library in wmp and the database files have been deleted too, when i open wmp and the flac files start to load, wmp freezes, when i try to close it i get this

i open wmp again

after clicking close i get this

after this has happened there are no logs in event viewer

im off to try your registry file for local dumps

Reply #371
im afraid to say i opened wmp and let it crash twice and no local dump folder has been created on the c:/, i added the registry file twice just to be sure.

Reply #372
Thank you for posting the screen shots.

This technically isn't a real crash so there indeed won't appear any events in Event Viewer. A process crash dump won't be generated either.

Does WMP keep hanging endlessly or does it respond again after a few minutes?

While it is hanging, please press Ctrl+Alt+Del, start Task Manager and go to the Processes tab. Is the wmplayer.exe process (or perhaps another process) using a lot of CPU? Can you right-click the wmplayer.exe process there, select Create Dump File, and send me the resulting file by e-mail? Thanks!

Reply #373
In retrospect, the process dump file that is created through Task Manager will probably be too large to send by e-mail (perhaps you already sent it? - I certainly haven't received anything).

It's a better idea to upload the dump file to a file sharing website like Skydrive or Rapidshare and send me the download link in a private message on this forum.

Reply #374
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=7d...&parid=root

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=7d...&parid=root

hi again sorry for the delay in getting back to you. If i leave wmp it just stays in the hanging state. i have to close it using task manager. if i do this a few times it eventually loads all of the music flac files.

it has left a few files in the local dump folder now i have also saved the dump file using task manager so you have one of each to check, you can download them both from my sky drive see the above link. this saves wondering if i can email the large file its zipped with winrar.