Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Buying a CD-ROM drive just for EAC (Read 23585 times) previous topic - next topic

Buying a CD-ROM drive just for EAC

Reply #25
well, my LiteOn 16P9S has arrived and I was not very impressed.

In secure mode (acc. stream, caching and C2 enabled) it rips a 60 min CD at about 12x speed total.
My 7 year old Matsushita CD-Rom which broke down last week did 11x and did not cache audio data (it had acc. stream and C2).

I didn't know that caching is such a speed killer for secure DAE (in burst mode it reads insanely fast)...  good luck finding a non-caching drive nowadays though

Reply #26
Yeah my speeds top out at 4.0x or so. Most of the time its running at .5x and doing error correction... it takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R.

Reply #27
Any of the newer plextors. If you are as crazy about perfection as I am you will need a drive that can overread into the lead in and out - PLEXTOR!

Reply #28
Well I have a JLMS HD166s (I believe) and it is a pretty good DVD/CD-ROM.  It usually rips CDs at around 10x.  The only problem is that it caches data and is very slow on scratched discs.  It will often get read errors or sync errors on damaged discs.

I also have a Lite-On LDW 411S (I think thats the model, it's from memory) its an older DVD+RW drive.  And like the other JLMS drive it has accurate stream, caches audio data, and has C2 error correction.  The only major drawback of this drive is the cache aspect of it.  It takes forever for it to clear its cache.  The average speed on this drive in secure mode with C2 disabled and disable cache on is around x3.  With a damaged disc it will drop below x1 even.

The Lite-On is a little better with damaged discs because it doesn't get read errors or sync errors as easily.  So, whenever I get a read error on the JLMS, I just use my Lite-On for that particular track.

Both drives also only overread into Lead-In, which kind of sux.

I'm definately looking for getting a faster and more stable drive to improve my rips.

And my Lite-On's C2 reads in secure mode are rip at around x30, but with test & copy I will often get an inaccurate read occassionally (CRCs don't match) which is why I don't use it.

I'm probably going to get a new Plextor drive soon, not sure which, but I'm leaning towards their latest DVD-RW drives.
J

Reply #29
It was addressed with a little humor. However, not to steer off topic and not bashing Sony by any means but do you really think Sony tests -every- product their name is on?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=320579"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I don't, and I am not a Sony fan either. I did not realize you were speaking in zest, though =).

Reply #30

In secure mode (acc. stream, caching and C2 enabled) it rips a 60 min CD at about 12x speed total.
My 7 year old Matsushita CD-Rom which broke down last week did 11x and did not cache audio data (it had acc. stream and C2).

I didn't know that caching is such a speed killer for secure DAE (in burst mode it reads insanely fast)...  good luck finding a non-caching drive nowadays though
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=320729"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

that's why i always rip in burst mode.. one copy cycle and one test cycle and when the CRCs match, all is good.
on CDs with playing time > 70 mins, the 16P9S reaches 50x, so the two cycles are really quick done, much quicker then one secure mode cycle.

-andy-

Reply #31
Secure mode with only C2 error correction selected, i.e. NO disable cache, will run at or around x30-40 speed (well it does for my machine).  Very fast and if you have a drive with good c2 error recovery and run test & copy when encoding, you will find that you would probably have a whole lot more of those CRC sums matching than when in burst mode.
J

Reply #32

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=320729"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

that's why i always rip in burst mode.. one copy cycle and one test cycle and when the CRCs match, all is good.
on CDs with playing time > 70 mins, the 16P9S reaches 50x, so the two cycles are really quick done, much quicker then one secure mode cycle.

-andy-
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=320999"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yes, I will try that, too. thank You very much
or maybe better disable the cache option and do one secure run with C2?

decisions, decisions

Reply #33
i just made a quick test with the 16P9S drive. i took a CD which has some bad scratches and which none of my other drives can rip without errors.
i did copy + test the CD with the 16P9S in secure mode and without C2. EAC had to use some error correction here and there but in the end, all copy and test CRCs were equal. that confirms, that this drive is VERY good for ripping scratched audio CDs, because i already have a very good audio cd ripping drive (TEAC CD-W524E) and it was unable to rip this CD error free.
now i did a second test cycle on the 16P9S but this time with C2 enabled. the ripping speed was higher, EAC had to use less error correction than without C2 and in the end, all CRCs were still equal. so it looks like the C2 error detection of the 16P9S is reliable and can be used safely.

i will test some more scratched CDs..

-andy-