Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AAC in AVI container (Read 59350 times) previous topic - next topic

AAC in AVI container

Reply #25
There is. I did it a few minutes ago. I just need to try with multichannel AACs now, and have to find a way to read AAC from AVI back (which will be total crap, since it requires  to be read binary, like an MP3 stream, but lacks proper stream headers, once the ADTS headers are striped).

If I don't encounter problems, i'll soon release AVI-Mux GUI 1.15.4 with AAC support, for AVI and MKV output

Of course, I also need to check if the VBR hack works reliably...

Everything seems to be possible nowadays. The only thing, which bothers me, is that vbr audio in avi is a non-standard hack. I understand that it is interesting to create hacks like this but I fear that people will start using this. It would be much better to have a standard for things like this instead of just creating new non-standard extensions to old'n'crappy technology.

AAC in AVI container

Reply #26
Hehe, Nic once made a program which put aac into wav so you could mux it into avi, it used to be available on rarewares but I can't find it there anymore.  It was called Nic's crappy beta IIRC.  It didn't work all that well either.

this bring back memories from vgf.com

Back these days i did send a copy of some MS SDK down to Ivan Dimkovic  (the days of psytell) from denmark to...some place more down in the souths.
I send it on a CDR by mail cause Ivan didn't have broadband connection and i was sitting on a 2mbit pipe. 

I also did testings for Nic on the crappy filter...hey i'm even mention in the credits file somwhere 

but to say it so Nic filter did crash alot when seeking and did not playbakc in correct speed.  Audio/video would got more and more out of sync.
to bad.....

--Edit--
spelling errors
Sven Bent - Denmark

AAC in AVI container

Reply #27
Just to confirm what i said above :

As soon as the first real questions from Virtualdub users appear on the support forums why they cant handle AAC in AVI with it, i quit  ......

I know its alexnoe's biggest goal to hack anything into AVI he just can. He is doing that based on some imaginary OpenDML AVI specs who have been around some years ago already, and were never really implemented in practice. He is dreaming of a new AVI, while others ( like me ) would like to see it dead, the sooner the earlier  !

I am convinced this is the wrong way, but as a real technician, alex is more interested in what is technically feasible, instead of what is a sensible thing to do. He is developer, and very much into video compression, so he can help himself all the time if he struggles with what he did, or recognizes it needs improvement. He is probably not aware of the pain he is implying on others, normal users, who dont understand the all the circumstances and specifics of what AVI, what VfW is, what ACM can do and what not, and why DirectShow is sometimes used for playback only and why on earth he cant load the file in normal AVI processing tools then, as he is convinced he has the 'codec' installed.

Nando made a lot possible with nandub, but apart from the excellent SBR encoding support for MPEG4V3 he did ( and he never caused any compatibility problems with that ! ), all the other stuff like VBR MP3 in AVI, Ogg Vorbis in AVI ( Vorbis including Ogg, means container in a container ! ), IMHO, was causing nothing but problems with only minimal impact on quality. I would really like to know how many people have been giving up on video processing because of first, frustrating experiences when trying to cut or edit a VBR MP3 AVI in any other AVI editing app than nandub itself ( and later VdubMod ). Anyhow, i sincerely hope it doesnt work out for playback  ......

BTW : if i had the chance to choose between

MP4 becoming the most used standard for video editors, and AVI finally going to hell, but matroska failing and being replaced by MP4 completely

and

AVI gaining a 2nd life thanks to a number of glorius actions like the one reported above, MP4 being only used for streaming stuff and never gaining proper and free support in freeware editing tools, and matroska doing nicely because it has that already

i'd prefer the first one !!

I'd rather see our beloved project die, than AVI gaining a 2nd life ! Howgh !!

AAC in AVI container

Reply #28
I agree with ChristianHJW, I rather see his project die than AVI getting a 2nd life 

Seriously, AAC in AVI is extremely suboptimal, the fact that it needs weird hacks says more than enough. There are containers out there that are much better suited for AAC or even part of the same standard (MP4).

Menno

AAC in AVI container

Reply #29
Reading this thread, I don't understand the point of getting AAC into AVI when there are two ( or is it three - I think OGM supports AAC now as well) great solutions for AAC with video,  with perfectly viable playback and editing software available.

This might be a little inflammatory, but to me the only reason to put AAC into AVI is for piracy reasons - when someone downloads a movie, it'll be easier for them to install just an AAC filter rather than an AAC filter plus a MKV/MP4/OGM splitter.

AAC in AVI container

Reply #30
Streching technologies to the limit is always interesting, but unfortunately people will eventually start to use the hacks which are only created because of the general interest in technology. Programs, which allow users to do something which causes compatibility problems with other programs, should only be distributed in soure form. This would limit the possible user group only to contain the true enthusiasts who are only interested in hacking because they want to learn new things and explore the possibilities of the technology.
I believe that it is good to have people who always push the boundaries but they should also realize that all method and technologies shouldn't be widely distributed because they might only create more problems than they solve. Hacking is a good thing but distributing the results isn't always ideal.

AAC in AVI container

Reply #31

Hey alexnoe, stop that, you are making Baby Jesus cry

AAC in AVI container

Reply #32
When reading the reactions to my post, I cannot help but ROTFL

However, even the M$ splitter handles the files (after deb0rking some stuff. Gabest's filter is appearently more tolerant to b0rked headers). Also, I am using the very same hack as for MP3. As already explained, MP3 (and now also AAC), use VIDEO SEEKING. It is a bit hackish, but there are worse things.

BTW, this has nothing to do with Open-DML. It works just as well with old AVIs.

AAC in AVI container

Reply #33
Of course, I also need to check if the VBR hack works reliably...

I think you just answered your own question.

Really folks, just use Matroska or MP4 if you are using AAC.  Preferably Matroska, but as long as you're not doing something this retarded.

AAC in AVI container

Reply #34
Really folks, just use Matroska or MP4 if you are using AAC.  Preferably Matroska, but as long as you're not doing something this retarded.

LOL! The container war is getting worse. Now people are starting swearing at each other.

My dramaaddict side tells me this thread is going to be great

AAC in AVI container

Reply #35
I think I'll side with Christian and Pamel.

My first experience with Matroska was a disappointment (I couldn't get subtitles to work).  Nevertheless I was very pleased at how easy it was to play Matroska files.  I only had to register the MatroskaSplitter, and boom it works (I didn't even need to reboot).

I resisted Matroska for a long time because I didn't think it was useful for anything I wanted to do, but now I'm thinking of all the new possibilities which the format unleashes.  Just being able to use VBR MP3 without sync problems is a major plus.

I still use AVI for 99% of my video backups, so I don't want to see it die just yet.  But I think there's no reason to continue hacking stuff into the AVI format, when Matroska supports such things without any hacks or tricks.
May the FOURCC be with you...

AAC in AVI container

Reply #36
Hack the AVI! Push it to the limits but don't publish your work for all l33ts who are going to use it for archiving!

AAC in AVI container

Reply #37
Why even use Matroska? I'm sure it's a wonderful format, but if you have MPEG-4 audio (AAC) and MPEG-4 video (divx, 3ivx, xvid, whatever), wouldn't the logical step be to put it in an MP4 container? If you want mp3 + MPEG-4 video use Matroska as that's not going to be a MPEG-4 complaint stream.

Even then I don't know why people bothered re-inventing the wheel with Matroska as .mov supports more than anybody will ever need and the spec is freely open and available for anyone who cares to read it at http://developer.apple.com/documentation/q...QTFF/index.html and already has support in most video/audio tools, and is backed by a major company, and is more efficient than most other containers...I mean if it's good enough for the MPEG-4 consortium it's damn well good enough for me.

AVI is so broken even MS dropped it, the VBR mp3 inside avi was a terrible hack, and I won't even mention multiple sound tracks. I'm sure multichannel audio shoehorned into .avi will be the next big thing...

AAC in AVI container

Reply #38
Read the AVI specs and then study some AVI files in a hex editor before writing more nonsense like this  After that, find out which problems with AVI were only caused by M$'s b0rked filter and player.  :x  There is a chance that you write more FUD, and even worse, that someone could believe a single word you write about AVI....

That you consider multiple streams a hack (and even worse than VBR) shows that you also consider WMP a player, that you have never looked at the AVI specs, or have gained any knowledge about AVI from any other source.

AAC in AVI container

Reply #39
AVI is so broken even MS dropped it, the VBR mp3 inside avi was a terrible hack, and I won't even mention multiple sound tracks. I'm sure multichannel audio shoehorned into .avi will be the next big thing...

Congratulations! Brainwash completed successfully

AAC in AVI container

Reply #40
Yeah. He obviously does not know that I have been able to mux DTS into AVI for quite some months already 

AAC in AVI container

Reply #42
well you can only store specific types of content in mp4 if you want to stay spec compliant!

in matroska for example you can also store vorbis, rv9... which isnt possible in mp4
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

AAC in AVI container

Reply #43
No one needs OGM, that is true, but what is wrong with the subtitle specs for AVI and MKV?

AAC in AVI container

Reply #44
No one needs OGM, that is true, but what is wrong with the subtitle specs for AVI and MKV?

I mean that MPEG-4 provides everything which is currently being hacked into avi etc. You can even create DVD like menus in MPEG-4 Systems and it's currently available. The only thing that is currently missing is a nice gui which would allow graphical authoring of MPEG-4 Systems.

Lets continue talking about AAC in AVI which is the topic afterall.

AAC in AVI container

Reply #45
K    It seems to work now, even with the M$ AVI Splitter   

AAC in AVI container

Reply #46
K    It seems to work now, even with the M$ AVI Splitter   

So the only problem is that VirtualDubMod, MPlayer, VLC etc. don't support it?

AAC in AVI container

Reply #47
Cyrius has already announced that VDM maybe never will support it. We need to brainwash him.
I really wonder why, because it is really exactly the same VBR hack as for MP3, so it can't be hard to support it.

AAC in AVI container

Reply #48
So the only problem is that VirtualDubMod, MPlayer, VLC etc. don't support it?

Not yet. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(ph34r my evil laughter)

AAC in AVI container

Reply #49
My God, what is this sick sick obsession with turning AVI into this frankenstein of a container format when it should clearly have been put to death years ago. Do you have some sort of emotional attachment to it from years of watching postage stamp sized cinepak video coupled together with 11khz 8 bit audio (which admit it, that's what AVI was designed for) that you just can't let go?